The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2020, 10:57 PM   #1
BJung

Favorite scope and recommended magnification range

What is your favorite scopes or suggested magnification range?

I have a 7RM Browning with wood stock and a heavy barrel. I'd like to finished assembling it with a descent scope setup. I think a 3.5-10x would be best. I expect this rifle to be a hunting rifle and not a long-range or sniper rifle.

What would you recommend? Please include the terrain and hunting environment you use the scope for and why.
Old September 19, 2020, 02:49 AM   #2
bamaranger

scopes

I'm a southern woodlands whitetail hunter. Shots are frequently/usually under 100 yds, but R.O.W and cropfields can provide farther opportunities. My "long" shots have been 185, 225 on ROW's, and a whopping (for me) 275 yds across a corn field. Bamaboy shot his first antlered deer at 260 lasered yds on a ROW. But those are exceptions to the rule. My "big" variable scopes are the old standby 3-9x40mm's w/ 1" tube. Those scopes reside on full size bolt sporters in .270 and .243. and if I intend to hunt an open area, I'll plan to take one of those rifle/scope combo's.

My close range rigs, which I find myself hunting more and more, wear low power variables in the 1.5-5x20mm/ 1-4x20mm/2-7x33mm variety. Those short 16-18" barreled carbines are chambered in modest calibers like 7.62x39 or .44 magnum. They are prized for their portability and the mild cartridges have ample power at the ranges I use them, often well under 100 yds.

My "do all" rifles, run along the lines of shorter, carbine length guns with barrels in the 20" range. I run fixed 6x36mm or 6x42mm scopes on almost all those rifles, the odd one out has a 2-7x33mm. Near all of those rifles are in .308 cal, the excepton is a .243.
Old September 19, 2020, 03:16 AM   #3
Hawg

My favorite deer rifle has worn a Simmons 6.5 - 20 44 mag since the 80's. It was made in the Philippines. I think they're made by another company in Taiwan now and the quality isn't as good. I hunt southern timberland and ROW and soybean fields. The longest shot I've made with it was over 300 yards. The shortest was 40 yards. I have Nikon and Swift and Leupold and a couple of others but that Simmons on my hot loaded 30-06 has taken more deer than all my other rifles combined. A lot more. I can hear the cries of junk and trash now but y'all are so wrong.
Old September 19, 2020, 05:27 AM   #4
ligonierbill

Most of my scopes are Leupold, and they have been consistently good. But there are plenty of others. My old 700 7 Mag has a Leupold 3-9 that has served me well. I do have an older Simmons 3.5-10 that now resides on a .243. Can't speak for the current models, but it's a good one. That said, I generally prefer a lower range for big game hunting, like 2-7. Going to Namibia next year with a Savage 338 Mag wearing a 2.5-8 Leupold. It's largely a matter of personal preference. Most important is mounting it so that you are able to shoulder your rifle with your sight picture right there.
Old September 19, 2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Jack O'Conner

I am primarily a "meat hunter" although I've taken a few exceptionally large bucks over the years. My hunting methods include ambush, organized drive, or spot and stalk depending on where I hunt. Shots rarely exceed 100 yards. Simmons 2x-7x scopes are mounted on two of my deer hunting rifles.

We hunt western pronghorn antelope every couple of years. This is long range hunting and my .243 wears a Simmons AETEC scope featuring 2.8x-10x settings. Yes, I like Simmons products!

My .308 elk rifle wears a Vortex 2x-7x scope and it has proven to be just as reliable as my Simmons. I chose the Vortex because of eye relief and discounted price.

Jack
Old September 19, 2020, 06:55 AM   #6
Nathan

If I am limiting myself to 400 yards max, minimal wind, .....weight will be the driver.

3.5-10x40
3-9x32

Basically, on deer size game, 2-4x on the low end....8-12x on the high end, under 40mm obj, under 20oz works real well.

Leupold does a lot of business in this corner of the market. Vortex used to sell a 3-12 a Diamondback HP which was a nice tool.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:01 AM   #7
ms6852

I've had the same scope that came with my rifle more than 38 years ago just a regular 3X9X40. It has an illuminated reticle that when you turn it on a itsy bitsy red dot comes on.
It's a Bushnell Banner mounted on a Savage 30-06 pre accu trigger rifle.

I've got more expensive scopes mounted on my 22's but I use those for target shoot at 200 yards.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:08 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

IMO for deer hunting most people would be well served with a 2-7 or a 3-9 x 40mm scope, depending on if they have open ranges, or forests as their intended hunting ground.
I am partial to Leupold VX-3 and VX-3i scopes for deer hunting, they are clear, well made, and tend to be fairly bright when hunting at first light or the end of the day.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:08 AM   #9
std7mag

First off, a heavy barrel any caliber is not something i'd be lugging with me for hunting.
I've gone the opposite way & bought a used Forbes 24B in 280 Rem. Bare rifle weighs 5.5 lbs. With Sightron 4-12X40 scope and sling i'm right about 7 lbs.

I've had the Tasco, Bushnell, Simons from back in the 80's.

Wanting to upgrade i bought a Redfield Revenge 4-12X40 with Varnint Accuranger reticle.
Optics wise was a huge improvement. With the benefit of having a built in rangefinder.
Distance hashmarks matched my Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 (later rechambered to AI) perfectly when sighted in at 200 yards using a 139gr SST, 140gr Ballistic Tip, or the 140gr Berger VLD-H. I liked the scope well enough to buy a second.

Then made the mistake of buying a Barga. POS ended up in the trashcan!
Barga customer service was nonexistant.

Purchased 2 Vortex Crossfire IIs after that.
Better optics again over the Redfields.
4-12X42 which was pit on the 7mm-08AI. BDC reticle again matched up with the 140gr class of bullets. Took a doe in 2018 at 413 yards, ranged.
6-18X44 was put on wifes range gun. Ok scope, but shows some limitations.

Have had 2 Diamonbacks. 4-12X40 Tactical, sold to member here. 4-12X40 BDC, sold to neighbor.
For the added expense, i found no appreciable added benefit for the money over the Crossfire II.

Have since bought 3 Sightrons & am impressed and happy with these!
3-9X40, 4-12X40, 4-20X50 STAC.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 19, 2020, 08:42 AM   #10
reinert

I've gotten used to using a straight fixed power, 6X, on all my hunting rifles; all Leupolds. Whether rolling plains, or broken river or creek country (mostly Powder River, or Crazy Woman Ck., here in Wyoming) or anywhere I find myself in the Big Horns, the straight 6X scope works well for me. If I can set up a shot using my daypack, all the better, but if I need to use a kneeling or sitting position, I'm quite comfortable shooting with the 6X magnification.
Old September 19, 2020, 08:49 AM   #11
pete2

For deer, 2X7 or 3X9, a VX3 Leupold is real bright, my farthest kill was 400 yards with a Leupold 4X many years ago but I now hunt at 6X.
Old September 19, 2020, 08:56 AM   #12
mxsailor803

I’m typically a Leupold fan but have a couple Vortex as well. I typically prefer something in the 3.5-10 or 4-16 range with a 50mm objective lens. I know it’s overkill but I also do a little night hunting (legally lol) and need the extra light gathering ability. I’m in the southeast and typically ranges from 50-250 yards are the norm.
Old September 19, 2020, 10:30 AM   #13
105kw

I've always preferred a 2-7 or 2.5-8 variable.
Most shots are within 250yds where I hunt, and the lower magnification is IMO more useful than higher magnification.
Old September 19, 2020, 11:25 AM   #14
langenc

Have a nice Leupold 3x9 and 3 or so Old Weavers, 4x, 6x and a V1.5-4.5 that is great here in the jackpine woods.

Target rifles--BSA(JAPAN) 24x and 36x-couple weaver T36 on BR 22 LRs.
Old September 19, 2020, 03:22 PM   #15
BJung

I get the impression that 9x and 10x is the maximum power range for most of you. I will assume that higher power ranges are for varmint or long-range target shooters or hunters.

At what magnification do you set your scopes? I assume you would have a sight picture of a deer for example at 100 yards and adjust your power setting to have have the same sight picture and father distances?

What is the advantage of the fixed power scopes? I have more experience with open sights and am guessing that a fixed power sight is less bulky and similar to adjustable sights? What are your thoughts here? I use to own a Weaver K4 mounted on a sporterized Enfield and then a K31. I only used it at the range for 100 yards which was fine at the time but what about hunting conditions?

Last, there's the objective. Have you regretted your objective size to make your target brighter at dusk or dawn?
Old September 19, 2020, 03:53 PM   #16
jmr40

Something with 2-3X on the low end and 9-10X on the upper end is pretty versatile. I can shoot well enough with 1X per 100 yards and I don't see the need for more than 2X magnification per 100 yards on big game. Varmints might need more magnification. 2-3X on the low end works for close fast shots.

Right now this is hands down my favorite scope at any price

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...hd-rifle-scope

This is the old Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 with Cabelas badges on it. They were always made by Meopta who has sold them with a variety of names on them over the years.

I have one of the original Zeiss scopes and 3 of the Cabelas branded versions. They were discontinued by Cabelas a few years ago and I bought 2 at close out pricing. It appears that they have recently brought them back.

I ordered one of these and can confirm that it is the same scope with minor cosmetic differences. The older ones say "Assembled in the USA". They were made from parts imported from the Czech Republic. The new one simply says "Made in Czech Republic".

Winston Churchill
Old September 19, 2020, 04:12 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
At what magnification do you set your scopes?
Mine stay on the lowest setting unless I need to take a longer shot. A 2X or 3X scope is plenty out to at least 100 yards. More magnification and it is hard to find the target in the scope at closer ranges due to limited field of view. If I need to take a shot up close I don't have time to mess with the magnification adjustment. I've taken deer at 200 yards on 2X before when I had to do it fast and had no time to change anything.

If the game is far enough away that I have time to change the scopes setting I go straight to max magnification. I never use anything in between.

Quote:
Have you regretted your objective size to make your target brighter at dusk or dawn?
Objective size and light transmission is directly linked to magnification. A scope with a 40mm objective set on 8X lets in EXACTLY the same amount of light as a 50mm objective on 10X and a 20mm objective set on 4X.

If you divide the objective size in millimeters by the magnification that tells you the diameter of the light beam coming out the rear of the scope into your eye in millimeters. In all of the above cases it is 5mm. If you have a 40mm or 50mm objective set on lower magnification then they do let through more light. For example a 40mm objective set on 4X would let 10mm of light through.

BUT.... The human eye can only use so much light and for most people anything over 5mm is a waste. Some twenty something guys with above average eyesight can make use of around 6mm. But for most of us in our 30's or older 5mm is about it.

A bigger objective allows the use of more magnification in low light. The guys who buy scopes with 12X and 14X magnification and 40mm or even 50mm lenses can't use them in low light above 8X or 10X. Even a 3-9X40 is going to be best if used in low light at around 7X or 8X.

I use 1-4X20's on a couple of rifles where close, fast shots are anticipated. Mainly my AR's. I've taken deer with those 25 minutes prior to sunrise and had no trouble. Legal shooting time is 30 minutes prior to sunrise BTW. I was legal.

Winston Churchill
Old September 19, 2020, 04:36 PM   #18
Hawg

My scopes usually stay on 4 or 6 For most hunting shots 4 is plenty. There's nothing wrong with a fixed 4X but sometimes I like a little more magnification.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:00 PM   #19
mxsailor803

Typically, mine stay between 4-6x when inside 150yds and less when inside 75yds. As for objectives, I prefer the largest diameter I can get. I have some that are 56mm on a 1” tube.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:14 PM   #20
BJung

So, when are you using your higher and highest power magnifications?

So you magnify your scopes up to where you can't hold the crosshairs steady?
Old September 19, 2020, 09:55 PM   #21
big al hunter

Quote:
So you magnify your scopes up to where you can't hold the crosshairs steady?
I usually only use the highest power at the range. It does show the wiggle of the cross hairs more, but it doesn't cause them. The wiggle is always there, you just don't see it with less magnification.

My favorite scope is a Burris Fullfield II. It has ballistic compensation reticle and is plenty clear. It is actually a little clearer than my Vortex Viper at the same power setting. 3x-9x was my preference but lately all I can find locally is 4x-12x but it works. I keep it set on the lowest power when I am hunting. If there is an opportunity to shoot longer range I turn it up to max. Not to see better, but because that is the power setting that the ballistic reticle is subtending the proper distance.
Old September 20, 2020, 01:27 AM   #22
BJung

I've been reading articles on the web and your comments have helped. Thanks.
Old September 20, 2020, 06:52 AM   #23
std7mag

As BigAl said, the wiggle is always there, it's just that it becomes more noticable the higher in magnification you go.

My 7mm Rem Mag (bought used) came with a 6-18 powered scope.
First hunting trip with it had it set on it's lowest setting (6power).
2 does came up behind me. Stopped about 20ft away from me. Put rifle up & could only see brown. Couldn't tell where on the deer it was.
Gave the scope to my neices boyfriend.

As you noticed, most of my scopes are 4-. This is due more that i prefer a scope with higher magnification on the high end. My ideal scope would be 3-16.
When walking around i have the scope at it's lowest setting.
When i'm shooting at something 300 yards +, then animals aren't as spooked and you have the time to set up, range, and dial the scope.

I live in PA, and hunt mostly along gas lines. I see animals from 20ft to 1,500 yards.
My longest shot on a deer has been 413 yards. Originally spotted at 550 yards, i closed the distance till they started to get fidgity. Had time to range , settle down & make a good shot. Scope set on 12 power.
The other week, i was targeting a family of 4 coyotes. Shot mom & 1st pup at 200 yards. 2nd pup at 375 yards. 3rd pup ran out of sight after that.
Knowing from game camera they came through every morning i had time to set up, do some predetermined ranging. Scope again set on 12 power.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 20, 2020, 10:05 AM   #24
RaySendero

burbank_jung,

I'm all over the place with magnification on my rifles from iron sights
to 8-32X on my heavy barrel.
Let me explain. Maybe it will help you decide:

Up close and moving - I like iron sights and scout scopes 2.5X or less.

100 yards still - 2.5 to 4X is about right although sighting in I want more power.

past 100 to 400 yards still - Use variables,
and like jmr40, they stay on lowest power until I want more for a longer shot.

I personally think your 3.5-10X variable on a "heavy barrel" 7RM
would be a good choice for hunting.

Now, I use that 8-32X on my heavy.
Have made an 80 and an 85 yard shots with it set on 8X with no problem.
Only deer I passed on was at 35 yards and would/could have made that shot if
it had stopped still.

On other hand I have made a good shot with that 2.5X scout scoped rifle at 240 yards.
So don't over think this decision;
You'll be find with a wide range of choices and practice.
Old September 20, 2020, 10:17 AM   #25
TXAZ

Romeo8 with Juliet6 magnifier on .308.
Steiner 5-25 for .50 BMG.
TrackingPoint 1-24 on 6.5 CM.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes