The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 15, 2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Westbound47

Shotgun training in Monterey CA area?

Hi all. I live in the Monterey CA area and I am researching a good certified individual for basic shotgun training, within 25 miles or so around town. I plan to purchase a shotgun, and I have never owned or shot any kind of long gun (some experience with revolvers and that's it). So first things first, I need to figure out the options for training with it, not just the shooting part, but including assembly/disassembly, maintenance etc... I know there is a specific "training" area in this forum, but I thought if might be better to ask here.

I am aware of ranges who advertise in my area, such as Valley Firearms, and I know how to look up the NRA web site for training courses. However, through prior experience in WA state, I know that there are often very qualified and certified individuals who don't necessarily advertise their services, but are known in the local shooter's community. Specifically, I want to find out if options for private lessons exist, and if yes price them, although I will take a standard course if needed. I'm not sure how normal or off-the-wall my inquiry is

I have been looking at the Mossberg 590M, or its tube-loaded equivalent(s) if the former is deemed to be a howitzer under PRC's law

Thanks for any specific recommendations and info.

W.

Last edited by Westbound47; June 15, 2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old June 15, 2020, 03:51 PM   #2
50 shooter

I take it you don't have a shotgun yet? You might not be able to get one right now with everything going on.

Being that you're a beginner, stick with a pump as it will be easier for you to learn on it. The Mossberg 590A1 Tactical or Military version will be more rugged. Same as a Winchester 870 magnum or military version.

You can get both with ghost ring sights which are better than just a bead. Both should also have a bigger chamber that will allow you to shoot 3" shells. Something that you'll want to have so you can shoot the larger magnum rounds.

I'm in SoCal so I don't know who teaches shotgun classes up there. You can ask at your local gun store, sure they could reccomend someone. Also, check Gun Broker for prices, that way you know what they cost before walking into a gun store.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 15, 2020, 04:52 PM   #3
FITASC

Are you looking for HD/SD training or something else?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 15, 2020, 07:51 PM   #4
Westbound47

Hi,

Thanks to you both for your replies. FITASC, I'm looking for the necessary skills to use it safely and effectively. It does not have to be a specifically HD/SD course; basic safety, basic ammo knowledge; I don't plan to hunt, although I wouldn't mind if eventually learning to handle a shotgun could lead into learning to handle a rifle.

50 shooter, no I don't have a shotgun yet: your advice appears sound and I have nothing against the normal version of the shotgun. I also know that the way things are it could take a while to make a purchase. I haven't yet worked out all the legalities/paperwork necessary, and if I can buy out-of-state and have it delivered here to an FFL etc...

W.
Old June 15, 2020, 09:22 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

since this isn't a rifle question and appears to be a training one, moving to Tactics & Training.
Old June 17, 2020, 12:33 AM   #6
50 shooter

Sounds like you need to go down to your local gun store and ask for some help. You'll need to get your firearm safety card by taking the test for it.

Then you'll need to look at some shotguns to see what you like or can afford. Like I said, with everything happening, guns are selling at a premium.

You might also find that you like a different type of shotgun like an over and under or double barrel.

As for buying from out of state, yes, you can do that. You just need to find a local FFL to do the paperwork and receive the firearm. You can go on Gun Broker or Guns America and look around at the shotguns that are on their sites. You can even check the for sale ads here on the TFL website. The best advice I can give if the firearm isn't new, ask a lot of questions! That and ask for good quality pictures of everything.

If you don't like what you see, walk away. It's as easy as that and highly recommended.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 17, 2020, 09:28 PM   #7
Westbound47

Thanks for the advice 50 shooter. I haven't been impressed by the local shops' inventories. I have dealt with Gun Broker before, but not from CA. I'll try that.

thanks again for the replies.

W.
Old June 17, 2020, 11:03 PM   #8
50 shooter

Funny thing, I mentioned checking the for sale board here on TFL. I just checked and noticed that there are 2 Mossberg shotguns for sale, one a 590 and the other a 500.

The 590 looks like it could turn out to be a better deal. Has some surface issues due to being a police trade in. Riding in a police car and handling takes it's toll. The inner workings sound like they're good to go. If you like what you see, you could still haggle on the price with the owner.

The 500 looks good, I don't care for camo firearms but that's something that you'll have to decide on. Keep the smaller tube mag if you decide that you want to use it for hunting. Get the extended tube so that it will hold 8 shells plus one in the chamber. The price isn't bad and that's also something you can work on.

I'm sending you a personal message, have some other stuff for you.
No time for rearranging.
Old June 18, 2020, 05:52 PM   #9
rc

My suggestion is to figure out what kind of gun you want but I suggest you consider a dual barrel security/field set like a Mossberg 500. I suggest one with a real wood stock which can be fitted with a better pad if needed.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content...ity_co_640.jpg

Train with the long field barrel and use the 18.5 inch barrel for home defense. Learn the mechanics of loading and shooting and loading and shooting by getting in with some trap or skeet guys and getting some trigger time on a firing line with bird shot. Don't get all caught up in taking a tactical course when you hardly know one end of the shotgun from the other. At this point you need to learn the fundamentals and you can do that with cheap #7.5 or #8 shot and clay targets. Then later in six months after 400 or 500 rounds of clays if you want to take a tactical course and buy a dedicated combat shotgun like a 590A1, do so. People who train to aim a shotgun rather than point, swing, lead etc will go back to that original training when under stress and miss a moving target completely. I don't shoot a shotgun much but put one in my hands and it comes alive because I learned to use one as a teen and can do so with my eyes closed or in the dark. A lot of newbies will go to Big 5 and buy short barrel long magazine combat shotgun with the live handling characteristics of a 2x4. A good compromise as an all purpose shotgun is a 24" turkey gun with adjustable chokes and a vent rib. Mossberg 835 is one example of a good all purpose shotgun.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimag...wm_7633589.jpg

You don't need sights on a shotgun to hit with buckshot. Slugs are not a wise choice for a home owner in an urban environment and the only reason to even have sights on a shotgun. An interchangeable choke system is a benefit because you can try different chokes with your buckshot. I wouldn't get gaga over having a 10+1 capacity shotgun which ruins your ability to handle and swing with the shotgun when you only need 1, 2, 3 or at most 5 shots in the real world. Also consider if you have someone at gun point till the police arrive, how are you going to feel in 15 or 30 minutes holding up all those extra shells and magazine tube in front of you. I say this as someone who held a guy at gun point with a 22 for more than 15 minutes. It made me realize how important weight is in a civilian defense situation. A good 4 or 5 +1 shotgun will do in most circumstances. I have an 870 security with 6+1 and can say that a mossberg 500 field model with the 18 inch barrel has much better handling characteristics and would be a better choice for a newbie shotgunner. Pump shotguns are the most popular because there are no reliability issues with light to heavy loads like you can have with an auto. Autos kick less in general and can be fine for defense but you need to learn to load it and test your defense ammo more thoroughly before relying on it. rc
Old June 18, 2020, 08:04 PM   #10
FITASC

There are some shotgun clubs in the greater Bay area, including ones close to San Jose

https://www.claytargetsonline.com/california/

You might be able to get some shotgun training at one of those; albeit they will be more likely geared to clay target shooting. But they can go over all the basics and give you instruction to cover a wide variety of situations.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 23, 2020, 04:26 PM   #11
Westbound47

Thanks rc and FITASC for the additional info; this is very useful and your advice complement each other's.

W.
Old June 23, 2020, 07:40 PM   #12
Atticus Thraxx

Westbound, I have not yet personally attended, but next spring I hope to go take the 260 shotgun course at Gunsite in Arizona. Not something you really want to do in the dead of summer, but if mere competence isn't enough and you want to go deep it may be worth the cost and travel. It'd be cool if you went to the course and came back to let us know if it was worth it, before I spend money

https://www.gunsite.com/classes/260-shotgun-class/

Looking for K98 bolt #5954 and K98 bolt #31942 for trade. DM me if you have a match. Prizes will be awarded!