The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 21, 2020, 03:47 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

How to shop for an AK?

I'm tentatively considering an AK-74 and know nothing about them. I did a TFL "search" and the most recent thread that came up was several years old.

I'm looking for more recent info.

What brands are recommended? Brands to avoid?

Hornady has 5.45x39 ammo as a "new" product, for them. Ammo shouldn't be a problem, yet.

But it's not a rifle that would get shot a lot.

Besides brands, what features are good? Etc.

thanx
Old November 21, 2020, 04:41 PM   #2
stagpanther

I have a PSA AK...

sorry--just noticed the numbers were reversed and you meant 74.

never mind.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 21, 2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old November 21, 2020, 06:32 PM   #3
langenc

Building or buying??

Aeroprecision are great uppers/lowers. Havent bought but remember--buy once-cry once.

Triggers are important. A 3 pound shoots much better than a 5+ pound..
Old November 21, 2020, 09:02 PM   #4
highpower3006

Langenc, he is talking about a AK74, not an AR.

Unfortunately, now is more than a couple of years too late to be looking for a AK of any sort and even more so an AK74. My suggestion is to keep looking for a Eastern European manufactured rifle, probably an Arsenal. I seriously doubt that you are going to find a new one, but you never know. Be prepared to pay some pretty good money for one, but at least with a factory built rifle it should be a buy once, cry once deal.

Do yourself a huge favor and try to stay away from kit builds unless it was done by a well known builder with a very good track record. I have a 1958 Polish Kbk-N and a Yugo M72B1 RPK that were built for me by Two Rivers that are absolutely beautiful. Expensive, but well worth the money.
Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
now is more than a couple of years too late to be looking for a AK of any sort
That's about my time frame. I have 4 ARs and a stripped lower (w/S&W parts kit).

So there's no hurry. I'm just now beginning my research. Sometime next year, maybe?

Anyway, I see Arsenal Bulgaria. Arsenal USA. Century. Izhmash. NoDak spud. Palmetto State Armory. Romarm. Saiga.

I heard Century used to be bad but maybe have changed?
https://youtu.be/RgmYepQ48HQ
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #6
highpower3006

As far as I know there are only three Century AK’s that are worth having and all of them are AK47 pattern rifles. Izhmash and Saiga are the same and are no longer imported. Arsenal’s come into the country sporadically and most I see are AK47’s. Nodak only makes receivers and are used on kit builds.

I have high hopes for Palmetto, but they are still new to the AK game and I don’t think they are manufacturing a 5.45x39 pattern AKM. If I remember right, Romarm might have made some AK74’s for the US market but if they did it couldn’t have been a lot of them as I never see any for sale.

You might want to do yourself a favor and look for a AK47/AKM. They have gotten more expensive like everything else, but at least you can easily find one.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #7
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
I have high hopes for Palmetto, but they are still new to the AK game and I don’t think they are manufacturing a 5.45x39 pattern AKM.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884582867

As far as Izhmash and Saiga, etc. All the brands I mentioned are currently on Gunbroker.

But thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #8
MC 1911

Check Atlantic Firearms. The had some Polish builds.