The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How do you usually carry?
Outside the waistband 18 27.69%
Inside the waistband 29 44.62%
Belly band 0 0%
Shoulder holster 0 0%
Ankle holster 0 0%
Pocket carry 18 27.69%
Other method 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2020, 06:53 PM   #26
DaveBj

OWB, just forward of the right hip.

D
Old August 11, 2020, 08:09 AM   #27
ghbucky

For the pocket carry folks:

How do you manage drawing it safely?

I always have this image in my mind of fishing in my pocket in a high stress situation and grabbing the trigger and shooting myself.
Old August 11, 2020, 05:54 PM   #28
kenny53

I carry my gun in a Sticky holster. It covers the trigger, and like any other gun
I handle I don't put my finger on the trigger until I am ready to shoot. It is a very safe way to carry.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:42 PM   #29
Henry400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post

I always have this image in my mind of fishing in my pocket in a high stress situation and grabbing the trigger and shooting myself.
A good pocket holster will keep you from doing that. When I pocket carry, I have my P365 in a Black Hawk Tech Grip #3 pocket holster. The holster is sticky enough to stay put while drawing the P365. And as always, you finger should not go on the bang switch until AFTER your muzzle clears the holster/pocket and is on target.
Old August 11, 2020, 08:43 PM   #30
shurshot

I prefer a revolver, IWB, strong side, 3.5 to 4, depending upon where my belt loop is. Too late to vote.
Old August 13, 2020, 07:05 AM   #31
Mannlicher

For smaller handguns, like a J Frame Smith or a Sig P290, I like pocket carry. For larger, I prefer a well made OWB holster.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 13, 2020, 11:06 AM   #32
lokidansk

Pocket carry M&P 380 Bodyguard in the summer in lite shorts and M&P 40 Compact IWB
in cooler months.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old August 13, 2020, 12:00 PM   #33
GarandTd

Currently, AIWB with a Remington RM380.
Old August 14, 2020, 02:48 PM   #34
skoro

For the past dozen years, pocket carry exclusively.
Old August 17, 2020, 08:14 AM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

I've been on this forum long enough to start this response with:

As of this day and since February of 2020, I have been carrying a Glock 19 Gen 3 with a Trijicon RMR and Surefire X300-UA. So that's IWB of course. I rarely carry OWB anymore since I don't have gun related jobs.
Old August 17, 2020, 05:40 PM   #36
Hanshi

Depending on the situation, task and reason for carrying it's either pocket carry or outside belt holster.
Old August 18, 2020, 07:46 PM   #37
FM12

sometimes in my right rear jeans pocket. Not for a long time.
Old August 18, 2020, 08:13 PM   #38
Rangerrich99

For decades I carried IWB, either at 3 or 4 o'clock. However, a couple months ago I started having some extra sensitivity on my right hip, so I've switched (temporarily, I think) to either AIWB or OWB, just in front of my right hip.

OWB is a lot more comfortable overall. Enough to make me seriously consider making it permanent.
Old August 25, 2020, 07:25 PM   #39
Black Wolf

I recently HAD TO change from AIWB to 3:30 IWB strong side and I hate it. My gun is way more obvious (not that I care much) and my presentation is way slower (that i DO care about).

I am actually tempted to go full dork and get a cross body shoulder/chest bag.
Old September 3, 2020, 12:33 AM   #40
Tygus.Shooting

Mode of Concealed Carry

I prefer to carry IWB at 3 o'clock (G23 or S&W M&P9) and carry a backup gun (Ruger LCP) in the right-hand back pocket.

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!
Old November 11, 2020, 02:04 AM   #41
27Veer

inside the waistband bur recently since I had a total hip replacement I've rediscovered a shoulder holster.
Old November 11, 2020, 10:55 AM   #42
gaseousclay

I didn't vote in the poll since I don't currently have a CCW but I do plan on ordering a holster from Vedder. If/when I do get a CCW I will carry IWB @ 4 oclock, mainly because the fear of shooting myself in the nether regions is real
Old November 12, 2020, 09:44 AM   #43
corneileous

I have summer cargo shorts and cargo pants for work all year round with big enough front hip pockets that I carry my Springfield XDE in there in a DeSantis ultra-sticky pocket holster.

When it’s winter and cold and when I’m out in town on my own time in generally tighter-fitting pants, and not having to stay seated all day long, I’ll OWB conceal carry the Springfield XDE in a kydex pancake holster or the same with my full-size Beretta PX4 storm in a leather OWB pancake holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2020, 09:48 AM   #44
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post

I try to practice my situational awareness every time I’m out somewhere so that drawing my weapon in a total surprise hurry shouldn’t be an always expected action. If I see something that looks like it may be bad, my right hand is already in my pocket on the grip with my thumb on the back of the hammer and one half of my fingers ready to push against the holster while the other fingers are wrapped around the grip ready to pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2020, 10:37 AM   #45
pete2

642 in front pocket, usually without a holster. Once in a while IWB with 642.
Old December 11, 2020, 08:51 AM   #46
rodfac

OWB, strong side, 3.5 to 4, depending upon where my belt loop is. Retired now, which allows OWB full time, with a shirt tail, jacket, or suit coat to over the gun. KY is an open carry state too, and that relieves some "printing" anxiety. Too, I'm so used to carrying, and slightly modifying my movements to prevent inadvertent display, that clothing choices are no problem.

I practice on our home range virtually daily, and have found that safe, re-holstering is a real concern. And that plus the lack of comfort with IWB or AIWB methods has colored my choice of carry methods. YMMv, but be careful, those of you who IWB or AIWB, it's easy to lose muzzle awareness with these methods. Another negative is the amount of sweat and clothing lint the gun picks up with IWB or Pocket carry. Many of my CC guns are blued steel which does not take kindly to sweat.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 11, 2020, 09:45 AM   #47
Nathan

My easiest decent sized gun is a S&W Shield /safety in a kydex shoulder holster with 2 spare mags. Made by Ares Tactical.

I need to pick one up for my 1911.

I also have a Kahr CW380 in a Maelwear pocket holster that holds a spare mag too.
Old December 11, 2020, 11:20 PM   #48
FotoTomas

EDC is usually a J frame strong side pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I also have Nemesis holsters for the previously owned Glock 42/43, Kahr PM9, SIG 290 and my current SIG 365. The J frame however is the most common.

When I carry a bigger gun concealed it is in a leather IWB at 4:00. Usually a Sparks summer special or a Galco model of similar construction.

For ease of LEOSA qualification I use OWB Fobus paddle holsters due to the range safety regulations and convenience of qualifying with two types of handguns.

While I am a retired cop now I still shoot some tactical 2 and 3 gun competitions using a duty rig on my separate pistol/ammo belt. Those are carried at the 3:00 position. Sometimes for matches I use the full flap military holsters I collect. They work well for weapon security and protection in a dynamic environment.

I shoot often at my club and I can safely draw from holsters of all types. I often practice the qualifications with my various handguns from my pocket and all manner of holsters to keep current and comfortable with anything I might pack a pistol in.
Old January 10, 2021, 10:38 AM   #49
Josh_Putman

This, every day, year round.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old January 23, 2021, 08:53 PM   #50
Viper225

IWB at 3:00 - 3:30
Glock 38
Every Day Carry: 1 Magazine in the gun
Out of Town and Church Carry: Double Mag Pouch and some times a couple magazines in my vest pocket's. Reload magazines all have a Plus 2 Base Plate which adds One in a 45GAP.
That is Nine Payload in the gun and Nine shot reload magazines.
About 90% of the time I wear my shirt tail out, and a tee shirt tucked in. I also have a few vests I wear also.

Bob R