The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2018, 05:42 PM   #26
UnkBK

I use 2 Forster trimmers with 3-way cutters. Trim and inside/outside chamfer in one operation. One is 5.56, the other is 30-06. Both have drill drives.
These are the 2 calibers I load in bulk.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:42 PM   #27
Don Fischer

Seem's a lot of people anymore want speed from their tools. I've got an RCBS 505, I think that's it. Had it and been using it over 30 yrs. Never failed me.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:39 PM   #28
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't care for the newer gizmo types myself.
I still have a old pacific crank trimmer that doubles as a {applied by hand>force} Primer Seater. So to insure each & every cartridge base has had its {prior die seated primer} pushed into their most forward position available.

I've never suffered the indignity of having a {High} primer jam or misfire or a {leaking hot gas} loose fitting primer during a match or afield. And that's been ongoing positive for well over 50 yrs of my shooting.
As far as I know only the older Pacific & Early Hornady Trimmers had that capability.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:53 PM   #29
ed308

I use a Gracey for common calibers like .223/5.56, 6.8, and .308. For my wildcats like 270AR or my 6.5 Creedmoor, I use Hornady trimmer with power adapter. I like speed but accuracy is more important than speed for the Creedmoor so it gets special treatment.

If buying today, Foster, Sinclair or 21st Century is what I would buy.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:56 PM   #30
Mr.RevolverGuy

CTS Trimmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvzuOBagdM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_p5tY6bcJw&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATC079gXSvM

I hated case prep until this, and reloading is a calming hobby for me. I think I shoot just to reload
Old January 6, 2018, 08:35 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
In a recent thread, someone mentioned a 3 way trimmer that is purpose built for each caliber. Used in a drill or drill press. I though I bookmarked the website, but obviously had a brain fade and can't find it now.
I can tell you what it's not.
Trim-It II
WFT from Little Crow
Giraud
Wilson
RCBS
Redding

It is only sold on the owners website, no retailer or ebay.

Any ideas? thanks in advance.
I would go with the Gerard if you can't find it.

Its a first class setup. Worth every penny.

As noted, I don't like case prep, if I do my end with good loads I can shoot under 3/8 with the motorized trimmers.
Old January 6, 2018, 09:59 PM   #32
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Seem's a lot of people anymore want speed from their tools. I've got an RCBS 505, I think that's it. Had it and been using it over 30 yrs. Never failed me.
Don I do look for speed AND PRECISION. Time is precious and I never seem to have much of it anymore.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:22 PM   #33
jhansman

Dunno about "best," nor do I understand it. "Best" is whatever suits you. To me, it's a bit like asking who makes the best adjustable wrench. I like Craftsman, but my neighbor buys only Husky. Like others here, I use a RCBS 505 that was given to me; it does the job with no hassles, so I've never gone looking for "better."
Old January 8, 2018, 06:44 PM   #34
offroadmatt

This is the setup I use. RCBS Trim mate with a lee precision cutter at one station. Drilled/tapped/and fitted with a 8-32 stud i believe maybe it was 10-32 cant remember. Works very well, trims well, and fits nice into the process.

Was fairly easy to make and the cutter lasted about 2000 rounds.

Only tip I have is to slightly grind the base before attempting to drill. The hardening on the outside is almost impossible to drill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81l62J1VmI
Old January 8, 2018, 06:52 PM   #35
Marco Califo

Get a good calipers, and a cartridge gauge. So that you can truly know when (if) you really need to trim. like the Foster set up. You need a "case holder" that looks lika a case gauge, for each cartidge chambering. 7.62 I need to trim. 5.56 need less, if any, trimming.
I do not trust the prep centers that trim based on shoulder. I . Am sure some people use them and like them. I don't like the idea of relying on one variable to adjust another.

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 8, 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:02 PM   #36
RC20

I have to agree that "best" phrase is a loose term. But then if you ask that without a definition?

So I will add in, accurate and as fast as possible, I am not one of those re loaders that like bench time, I like to shoot, not load.

I won't say I hate reloading, but it does not give me any kum buy yaes (however that is spelled). So I want to spend my time where it counts in accuracy (again where that is is my opinion)

Off the shoulder trimmers are what I wanted. Accurate and fast.

While I could be wrong (far from the first time) I don't fathom that .005 length is going to make any difference (if its too long yes, but trimmed back to nominal?)

So yes, if you ask me, best trimmer is Gerard then Little Crow/Trim It II

Gerard is tops for its simplicity, exception operation and three way

Little Crow WFT and Trim It II are second place to me as the WFT is not a tri trimmer setup (otherwise it would be 2nd) and Trim It II is too complicated and lacks the precision of Gerard.

More or less I put the WFT and TITII

1. Hunting: WFT, lower cost, a bit of work with a chamfer and deburr not a bit deal

2. Trim It II: In the case that Gerard does not make a Tri Trimmer for and you don't have the Motorize Gerard setup that they make everything for.

Until I ran out of my killer priced Juggernauts, I was shooting 1/4 in groups with Trim it II bullets in the 7.5 x 55 Swiss Savage I built.

I do shoot 3/8 inch groups regularly with the Gerard trimmed brass, often flirt with and do get 1/4 inch groups.

Give me David Tubbs gun and I suspect I could manage 1/4 inch groups all the time.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:56 PM   #37
drain smith

This coupled with a 13-year-old granddaughter that needs make-up money.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:57 AM   #38
zeke

First started with a hand crank trimmer, hand cutter for case mouth. Fine with smaller numbers of cases. Then trimmed first large batch of brass, and bought RCBS power trimmer. Very accurate and precise, but took awhile. Then augmented it with RCBS trim mate case prep center, no more hand beveling case mouth. Then updated both with carbide and 3 way cutters.

Recently bought (major investment) Giraud power trimmer for large batches (500-1000) of 308/223. God send as far as effort and time reduction. Maybe not quite as precise, especially if trimming same caliber from different firearms. However it was worth it.

The hand crank trimmers work quite well for small batches, especially with carbide cutter. The next step up off the base power trimmers are real precise for larger batches. For feeding semi auto's/large batch target rounds in quantity, off the shoulder power trimmer saves considerable time/effort.

There is no way I would ever get enough experience with all the differing makes to even guess at "best" of anything.
Old January 28, 2018, 12:20 AM   #39
lucysdad

Worlds Finest Trimmer by little crow gunworks

the WFT is fast and accurate.
Old January 28, 2018, 05:32 AM   #40
Big Wes

Giraud Tri-Way here, fast, well built and worth the $$$ It takes the "W" out of work.
Old January 28, 2018, 07:03 PM   #41
m&p45acp10+1

I like the Frankford Arsenal Platinum for bottle neck rounds. For large amounts of .223 Rem it is like using an electric pencil sharpener. It also has 3 tool heads. I trim, chamfer, and debur. The last tool head has a primer pocket reamer to remover primer pocket crimps. After a couple of years of using the Lee with a cordless drill it was the best upgrade I could have made.

Straight walled stuff like .30 Carbine, and .45-70 Gov't. I use the Lee with cordless drill. It works just fine for them.