The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 29, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Sterling

Can a ar15 retrac stock be extended 1-2" ?????

Gun: SW MP15 SPORT 5.56 , I shot it sat for the first time wow very tight and consistant grouping , this is my first AR as ive been shooting Saiga riffles in 223. That said the MP shot ciggarette box size groups at 50yds and 2 boxes at 100yds exellent imo. Anywho I noticed standing the stock seems to fit me fine its just when shooting off of sandbags sitting that the stock feels like it could use another inch or two on the retractable stock. Q. Short of buying a completly new stock Is there an extension tube or spacer anything that can remedy this ?
Old September 29, 2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Venom1956

just buy a longer stock. they arent that expensive and itll be nicer the whats on ur rifle
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 30, 2014, 01:30 AM   #3
4thPoint

Just buy a longer stock..... from where?
Old September 30, 2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Technosavant

You'd need a longer receiver extension (aka buffer tube). But honestly, I have no idea where one could even get such a thing (and if it was hollow, you'd need a longer action spring too).

I don't think they exist. At most you could maybe (depending on your stock) get a rubber pad that might give you another half inch, but that's about it.
Old September 30, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Gary L. Griffiths

Get a "boot" type shotgun recoil pad. Add a piece of plywood as an insert if necessary. You should be able to easily add a couple of inches to your stock.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 30, 2014, 01:20 PM   #6
pilpens

I think the m4 type stock is as long as the Magpul MOE.
The Magpul ACS or ACS-L stock will gain you easily an inch over the MOE using the same buffer tube.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG378/180

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG400/180

magpul also sells extended pads -- not sure if this will work with the ACS/L. If so, that another 0.25" gain.
There are other choices -- VLTOR, etc.

Last edited by pilpens; September 30, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old October 1, 2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Mobuck

SIL says "if the rear sight isn't touching your forehead, the stock's long enough".
If you're using a scope, move it forward.
I don't use open sights, don't have a long neck, and often shoot wearing heavy winter clothes but I generally use the next to longest notch on the retractable stock. I can see where it might be a problem for others. SIL indicates the military adaptation is "don't be afraid to get right up to the rear sight".
Old October 4, 2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Ibmikey

Magpul makes enhanced buttpads for their stocks just be careful you get the proper one. I have the .70 pad on all my Magpul CTR and ACS L stocks and shoot the rifles with my nose just clearing the charge handle. This pad will give 1/2" extension over the stock pad.
Old October 6, 2014, 12:19 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant
You'd need a longer receiver extension (aka buffer tube). But honestly, I have no idea where one could even get such a thing (and if it was hollow, you'd need a longer action spring too).

I don't think they exist. At most you could maybe (depending on your stock) get a rubber pad that might give you another half inch, but that's about it.
They exist. VLTOR's A5 buffer system consists of a buffer tube that's about an inch longer than the standard carbine buffer tube, with a slightly longer spring and a heavier and longer buffer. It's designed to mimic the slower, smoother action of a rifle buffer system while still using a standard collapsable stock.

The A5 runs smoother than a standard setup and works within a wider range of pressures, making it perfect for rifles with short dwell times and/or with the use of a suppressor. Some rifles are way over-gassed with a suppressor, and if you tune it for suppressor use it's sometimes under-gassed without it; but the A5 greatly reduces these issues. And because its buffer tube is about an inch longer than normal, you can also extend your stock farther out.

That said, I agree with Mobuck; the AR works well with a short stock setup. I only extend my stock one notch out, and many people in the military are taught to put their nose right up to the charging handle. In my opinion, even the normal-length buffer tube/stock combo is way too long when fully extended.