The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2018, 04:59 AM   #1
agent00

ammo advice for recoil sensitive people

Hello there, I will move together with my girlfriend soon and for self defense puposes I want to Keep my baikal 12 gauge shotgun ready. The Coach gun is the only gun you can have in the house without any legal issues when you do not have a Special firearm license.

I was at the Shooting range already and the 12 gauge with stadard buckshot ammo kicks too much for her, so I am thinking to find an alternative.

I can either try to find some reduced recoil 12 gauge rounds are sell the baikal 12 gauge and get a 20 gauge stoeger double defense instead.

What would be the best choice to reduce the recoil without sacrificing the too much of the power of the shotgun if possible.

I have never seen lots of tactical ammo at the local gun stores in 12 gauge, so the more ecomonical choice would be to get the 20 gauge, as 20 gauge buckshot is available.

I would be pleased Hearing some Options.

thanks for your help in advance

greetings from Austria
Old January 30, 2018, 07:01 AM   #2
jmr40

One ounce of shot is one ounce of shot regardless of whether it is fired from a 12 or 20. And since a 20 is generally about 1 lb lighter than a 12 it will recoil more. You buy a 20 to have a lighter gun to carry around, not for recoil reduction. Buying a 20 will at best be an even swap on recoil.

The best advice I have is to try to get some lighter loads for the 12 that you have and/or have a good recoil pad installed. Any way you approach it a shotgun with buckshot kicks. You might also let your girlfriend shoot some very light game loads for practice and as she gets accustomed to the recoil gradually work up to heavier loads.

Normally I don't advise using birdshot for personal defense, but if she can handle light field loads and not heavy recoiling buckshot then load it with birdshot. It is better than nothing. And a bad guy doesn't know what is in the chamber, just looking down the barrels will encourage most people to leave.

Winston Churchill
Old January 30, 2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Capt Rick Hiott

Trust me,,,If someone breaks in your house and she shoots them, she will never feel the recoil!
Old January 30, 2018, 10:38 AM   #4
stuckinthe60s

youre choosing junk to shoot it out of. if the type ammo youll be using cant be compromised, get a gun designed to absorb some of that recoil.
im with jmr40....+1
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 30, 2018, 01:18 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

There's no such thing as "tactical ammo".
Like jmr40 says, load it with bird shot, but use target loads. And put on a recoil pad. Mind you, if she's afraid of it and doesn't practice, she won't use it if she ever has to either.
A coach gun usually has a short barrel. A lot of fear of recoil is about the muzzle blast and noise.
"...only gun you can have in the house without..." What's your law say about the thing being loaded? Just curious, mostly, but if it's not loaded, it's just a heavy club.
Old January 30, 2018, 01:42 PM   #6
FITASC

Find a load running closer to 1200 instead of 1400 or 1500 fps. The heaviest gun, firing the lightest and slowest load yields the lowest actual recoil. "Felt" recoil, aka "kick" is a matter of gun FIT. If the gun doesn't fit, it doesn't matter how low the actual recoil is, as cheek or face slap and the jolt to the shoulder will be unpleasant.

Greetings from Florida................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 30, 2018, 01:57 PM   #7
625TC

Since its a break open what about the 12 ga mini shells
Old January 30, 2018, 02:01 PM   #8
zipspyder

12 gauge is a lot of recoil for a woman, much less someone who is sensitive to recoil. Since she shot it, if she knows how to point, take the safety off and fire you're good to go. No sense in having her practice shooting anymore.
Old January 30, 2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Blindstitch

Winchester makes some reduce recoil shells for about $7 a box. I used them to break in a shooter who had never shot shotguns before and let them tell me when they wanted to step up to full loads.
Old January 30, 2018, 03:45 PM   #10
drobs

Aguila 12ga mini-shells. If you can find them...

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...shot-20-rounds
Old January 30, 2018, 05:37 PM   #11
Remington74

How about loading up the butt stock with some lead shot to make it heaver?
Old January 30, 2018, 05:46 PM   #12
stuckinthe60s

gun design and ammo choice combined properly, reduce recoil.
change the equation and youre just stabbing in the dark at the issue.
you can have the lightest load made being shot out of the worst designed gun....and itll still kick.
have the best designed gun using the wrong choice of ammo, and itll rattle your teeth.

good luck finding the right 2.
its a journey ive been done numerous times. you only learn it with trial and error.
talk is cheap. trigger time is priceless.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 30, 2018, 08:08 PM   #13
Don Fischer

I read this silly junk all the time. What should I get for my 8yr old son to hunt with. I was thinking a 50BMG with reduced loads so he can grow into it. Usually come's from someone with a closet full of their own rifles!

Whoever came up with this reduced load idea hit gold! God forbid you should consider something the new shooter can use! My though is get her something like a S&W Shield compact in 9mm and a bunch of ammo to learn with. Make sure she know's it's your's in case she dump's you and want's to keep the gun! I have two 9mm, a shield compact and a Ruger P89. P89 is a nice gun but awful heavy, Shield is light weight and carry's 8 shot's. Anyone will put up with the sound of 8 9 mm's being fired without leaving pronto is a crazed person! You teach her to shoot it so the crazy bast**d is on the floor in half the shots. Your gonna provide her with a firearm, it's your responsibility to teach her to use it.
Old February 1, 2018, 02:57 PM   #14
FITASC

Since the OP is from Austria, his ability to buy a 9mm, let alone a S&W, might not be possible.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 1, 2018, 03:04 PM   #15
zipspyder

I agree with it being Australia and limited choices but the average 12 guage shotgun starts it's recoil at about the 30-06 level and can go as high as 54lbs or so. Unless you can get some specialized low recoil shells it's really not the gun for a recoil sensitive woman.
Old February 1, 2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Kvon2

The mini shells are a good idea, I would also buy a few different field loads and see what she can tolerate.

Maybe something in the neighborhood of #4,5 or 6? No longer than 2 3/4 inch.