The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2018, 09:05 PM   #26
jpx2rk

I swat the carpenter bees with a badminton racquet as well. Fun making those guys bounce off the deck boards. Wife uses a brown or gray plastic grocery bag stuffed with other plastic bags to keep most the bees away.
Old June 9, 2018, 09:28 PM   #27
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Geez, that's downright clever....thx. Rod
We had several colonies of Africanized bees. Clearly wasn't interested in swatting them with a tennis racket or getting close with an electronic fly swatter.
The bee keepers charged $300 to show up and several hundred more to kill them if Africanized or relocate them if not, and may take a couple of days to show up.

10 cents of electricity and a couple of days and they were all relocated to my shop vac.

More than 10K bees each time, none of them survived the trip down the pipe and hose for some reason. I always thought they were pretty agile pilots. I guess not.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 9, 2018, 09:54 PM   #28
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecILL View Post
Hello Everyone. Going to load up some .38 shot shells for an obvious reason.

Watched some youtube videos. Seeking any knowledge and or advice.

Have Unique and 7.5 shot.
Personally, I have considered short-grain rice seated on top of a primer and a little plug of soap to cap things off. But, it seems a coat of oil based paint is less than delicious to 'em.
Old June 10, 2018, 05:19 PM   #29
McDowell300

Just an fyi for this conversation. Raids flea and bedbug spray is a bumble bee irritant....not a bumble bee killer. As kids we used to wasp hunt in the barns for wasps and bumble bees. Makes good practice.
Old June 11, 2018, 05:02 PM   #30
gwpercle

Shooting your fascia boards and eaves with 7.5 bird shot doesn't sound like a great way to deal with Carpenter Bees. Put up a Carpenter Bee house and they move right in , leave your fascia boards and exposed rafters alone.
Don't forget , if you have a garden, they are important pollinators . The carpenter Bee houses sell for around $15.00 , hang one or two up and they will leave the big house alone.
Gary
Old June 13, 2018, 07:20 AM   #31
rodfac

TXAZ, I've used the shop vac in our pantry to get a mouse infestation under control. My wife saw one running in there so I got the vac out and nozzled him right up...and 3 more of his buddies! The trip through the vac hose killed them all too.

As a pilot for more than 40 years, I was just short of being an "Ace"...also found the vac useful on cool days when the flies that get inside can't move so fast, and with no splatter on the kitchen window glass!

Lastly, I've tried corn meal, and #12 shot in .45 Colt brass and fired through my Ruger NV with minimal results other than nicking up the fascia on our cabin with the #12 shot. With either, I had to be within a foot or two to have any chance of knocking them down. I'll try that suggestion of ground walnut shells used in my brass tumbler some time.

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.