The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 1, 2018, 03:51 PM   #226
stagpanther

I took the 95MK's out to 200 yds today--they still seem to perform pretty well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95MK 224 valk 25.7 2000MR 200yds.jpg (119.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 224-valk-95gr-MK-25.7-2000MR.jpg (116.0 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 1, 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old July 3, 2018, 04:51 PM   #227
constructor

In a SAAMI chambered barrel you should be able to load all of the ELDs and 95SMK to around 2.325 and still be off the lands. Loading to mag length 2.295 or 2.3" will give you a .020-.030" jump. The SAAMI chamber should give you a better chance at loading closer to the lands producing better accuracy.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:31 PM   #228
stagpanther

Quote:
In a SAAMI chambered barrel you should be able to load all of the ELDs and 95SMK to around 2.325 and still be off the lands. Loading to mag length 2.295 or 2.3" will give you a .020-.030" jump. The SAAMI chamber should give you a better chance at loading closer to the lands producing better accuracy.
Have you/anyone actually done this in the shorter freebore SAAMI spec chamber with the 95 MK? I'd love to see the results since this is the best combo I've stumbled on so far. I also look forward to seeing some data on the 90 gr vld's--has anyone done much with these? I take it your having a new batch of the correct freebore valk barrels done? What kind of specs if so?

Thanks for the comments.
Old July 14, 2018, 03:23 PM   #229
stagpanther

When they're gone...they're gone; so I just ordered my second "long bore" valk barrel from ARP.
Old July 15, 2018, 11:01 AM   #230
stagpanther

I had to move back in to 100 yds this morning (construction equipment in the firing zone); here are 4 shots that I managed not to spaz out on and pull--I almost always pull at least one shot. The remarkable thing is that I'm still using RCBS's low-end die which results in damaged bullet noses and inconsistent COL's

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 224valk 25.7MR2000 95MK.JPG (99.7 KB, 97 views)
Old July 15, 2018, 06:15 PM   #231
stagpanther

Just ordered a Forster ultra seating die--hope that helps with the long pointy things.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:19 PM   #232
jetinteriorguy

In my .223 Wylde AR I got sick of how the RCBS seater coke bottled the bullets so I modified my Lee seating die and no more problems. I mixed up some of the epoxy that comes in a tootsie roll type form and put it in the seating stem of the Lee die and then formed it to the shape of my bullet tip. Now no more deformed bullets and it seats very consistently. I've been getting pretty consistent 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yds and just the other day I got lucky and managed a 3/8" group. Really liking this rifle a lot, I'm hoping it will work out to 600 yds this summer at Quantico.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:23 PM   #233
stagpanther

Quote:
In my .223 Wylde AR I got sick of how the RCBS seater coke bottled the bullets so I modified my Lee seating die and no more problems. I mixed up some of the epoxy that comes in a tootsie roll type form and put it in the seating stem of the Lee die and then formed it to the shape of my bullet tip. Now no more deformed bullets and it seats very consistently. I've been getting pretty consistent 5/8" to 3/4" groups at 100 yds and just the other day I got lucky and managed a 3/8" group. Really liking this rifle a lot, I'm hoping it will work out to 600 yds this summer at Quantico.
I've thought about that--I think that's what H does too--any idea of what the name of the stuff is? I guess it needs to start out fairly hard so that it can take and retain the shape of the bullet.

Are you shooting a valk? This cartridge is for real, it really does bring a new performance paradigm to the table IMO.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 15, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:35 PM   #234
ed308

Like that tight group. above.
Old July 15, 2018, 06:37 PM   #235
stagpanther

Quote:
Like that tight group. above.
thanks--you should have no problem getting the same result--or better; with your barrel.
Old July 15, 2018, 07:35 PM   #236
jetinteriorguy

The stuff I used is JB Weld Steel Stick. It comes in a roll about 3/4" dia. and 3" long. It's a two part deal, just cut off what you need and then knead it into one solid color and your good to go. I just coated the inside of the die with case lube to keep it from sticking, degreased the seating stem so it would stick, put the epoxy in the stem and pushed in a bullet. Then I cleaned off the epoxy that splooged out and ran the stem in the die with the bullet still in so it would be straight and let it set up overnight. Oh, I also used case lube on the bullet to keep it from sticking as well. I first tried the old hot glue trick but couldn't get the glue to stay stuck in the seating stem so gave up on that.
Old July 15, 2018, 10:35 PM   #237
stagpanther

Thanks jet--sounds like a good way to go and much cheaper than getting a custom cut stem.