The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 24, 2018, 09:03 PM   #51
LogicMan

One thing I do hope is that all of this crazy anti-gun extremism is fueling a silent pro-gun wave that will smash much of it. A lot of people may well be becoming flaming pro-gunners due to all of this, just they don't have any real voice in the national media and political and business spheres and thus all people ever see are the anti-gun business corporations, Hollywooders, media, students, etc...
Old March 25, 2018, 06:33 PM   #52
riffraff

I think what is going on w/ anti gun stuff today can be summed up by the crowd that feels they were wronged by Trump's election, who generally are the anti gun crowd to begin with, now have found a way to further stoke the fire. They are going to try to keep it going as long as possible and will rekindle it as many times as possible. I'm not sure I believe there is an actual shift in anti & pro gun, or at least nothing like the media makes it out to be. The next so many elections I'm sure will have record turn outs on both sides of the issues, but guns are only one of the issues - moderate anti gun voters who are noticing an extra $500/month in their bank account under new tax codes very likely may value that over gun control.
Old March 25, 2018, 07:58 PM   #53
turkeestalker

Quote:
The constituency that honors the 1A & 2A are, I believe, an impediment towards the goals of those who primarily make the decisions...
Correct.
Hence my belief that the only issue in the 2016 election was who would be nominating future Supreme Court Justices.
That is the only avenue by which we maintain our constitutional rights and freedoms... maybe even by the grace of God, gain a little ground back one day.

Quote:
I'm not sure I believe there is an actual shift in anti & pro gun, or at least nothing like the media makes it out to be. The next so many elections I'm sure will have record turn outs on both sides of the issues...
I agree, nothing like we're led to believe and those record turn outs are precisely why our vigilance is paramount.