The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2018, 12:02 PM   #76
TJB101

Since I own a P07 and Scorpion I think I’ll stick with a CZ (or Sig if the price is right) ... next week I’ll start hitting my indoor ranges and see what I can test out. Although I like the metal frames some of the Poly long slide models look sweet.

Much appreciate all the feedback

Tim
Old March 1, 2018, 12:11 PM   #77
Model12Win

I'm a Beretta man:

I also have a CZ, and while I like it, I'm just more comfortable with the Beretta and it fits me just right.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:58 PM   #78
TJB101

Spent a few minutes after the range today and handled multiple 75’s, P01, P09, 92FS and a few HK’s. This one just felt great in my hand and followed me home. Cleaned it up. Nice everything. 75BD

Old March 11, 2018, 09:55 PM   #79
Danoobie

I'd say if you have larger hands, get the 92FS.
If you are smaller, get the CZ75. I like both brands, so I really don't have a dog in this fight. BUT, try a FNX9.
Old March 13, 2018, 11:17 AM   #80
tranders

I have owned both and both are fine pistols. The Beretta was very smooth and overall a handsome pistol. The CZ felt great in the hand and shot well.
The Beretta is a big pistol and won't do well for folks with smaller hands.

Both pistols have a lot of parts(pins,springs,plungers,etc.) when compared to modern striker fired pistols.
Old March 28, 2018, 08:43 PM   #81
TJB101

Finally had a chance to take the new CZ to the range. 100 x124’s, 100x 115’s and 50 x 147’s all ran flawlessly. Love this new gun. The standard sights are a little tough for my old eyes but I’ll get used to it.
Old March 29, 2018, 07:11 AM   #82
Seven High

The reason that Jeff Cooper liked the CZ75 is that he could carry it cocked and locked. I do not remember ever seeing a photo of him carrying one.
Old March 30, 2018, 05:27 AM   #83
TJB101

The new CZ I purchased is the BD model ... so decocked only.
Old March 31, 2018, 07:02 AM   #84
tallball

Great choice! Those are very fine pistols. It should last you practically forever. Both of my steel CZ75 clones (Tanfoglio) are Israeli military surplus. They were obviously both shot a LOT, but still function perfectly. As soon as my FiL shot my first one he decided to buy one for himself. Between us we own 15 or so 9mm pistols. The CZ's are easily our favorites. Enjoy!
Old April 1, 2018, 02:20 AM   #85
Sturmpanzer

I sent my 92FS off to Wilson Combat and they totally tricked it out... Not my carry gun, but the very best pistol I own..Cadillac of an auto right out of the box... Guys who constantly crab about the safety are just mall ninjas.. It's simple and stupid..I used mine in combat..M9....and it got me thru.. The CZ is a fine pistol as well...both are metal guns...means you can konk a head if you have to as well, unlike the hordes of plastic strikers out there..double strike as well...

Last edited by Sturmpanzer; April 1, 2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old April 1, 2018, 02:32 AM   #86
Sturmpanzer

As an aside.. In a combat zone, we always loaded the Beretta, de cocked it and topped off the mag..and left it that way..safety off..no different than carrying a revolver...like I said. only YouTube mall ninjas only bitch about the safety because they want it to be a Glock...
Old April 7, 2018, 08:11 PM   #87
Commygun

I’ve had both and, though I like a decocker/safety, I couldn’t get used to the 92’s mile-long DA trigger. Plus it really is a horse pistol. Everyone who shoots my CZ-75 praises it. It’s a very well-behaved and ergonomic pistol.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:15 PM   #88
Commygun

I will say that the 92 has to be the most stylish common full-size semi-auto I’ve seen. I wanted to love it but, alas.
Old April 8, 2018, 10:25 PM   #89
chaim

Congratulations on the CZ 75BD.

I have had my CZ 75B for around 15 years. I lost count of the number of rounds about a decade ago (I was at 10K, probably double to triple that now). The number of hiccups it has had can be counted on one hand, and there have been none in many many years. It is one of my most accurate guns (the only platform on which I am more accurate is the 1911). I have quite a few guns, and until a few years ago when I went through a carry gun phase, no matter what else came to the range, it came on every trip (it still comes on most trips).

I also had a CZ 40B for a while (a .40S&W gun with CZ 75 internals and a grip frame reminiscent of a 1911 Commander). I stupidly sold it some time ago. I bought a CZ P01 a little over a year and a half ago.

Some years ago I had a SIG 226 in 9mm. I loved my .40S&W P229, but never really warmed to the P226. It was a good gun, but whenever I shot it, I compared it to the CZ. The SIG may have had better fit and finish (especially inside the gun), and it was accurate, but no where near what the CZ could do.

So you can say that I'm a CZ fan.

I've never owned a Beretta, but they have had my eye since before I started shooting. For years I figured I'd eventually buy either a Beretta or the Taurus PT92 near clone. For a while the money of the Beretta stopped me, then I went on a carry gun kick. Now that Beretta has the G kit and the prices are pretty decent (on BUDs right now you can get a CZ 75B or a Beretta 92FS Italian for the same price, or a Beretta M9 Commercial for $25 less) I'm probably going to finally get one. However, I do fear it may meet the same fate as my previous P226 and suffer in the comparison to the CZ 75B.

Anyway, all that to say that whichever way you went, you were going to do well. However, you made a great choice with the CZ 75BD.
Old April 9, 2018, 05:03 AM   #90
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
Anyway, all that to say that whichever way you went, you were going to do well. However, you made a great choice with the CZ 75BD.

Thanks... I’ve only had it to the range once but thoroughly enjoyed it. Decocker position on the BD is just about perfect (compared to my P07). My only complaint is the small white dots in the sights. For my older eyes they are a little tough... maybe an upgrade down the road.

Tim
Old April 9, 2018, 03:34 PM   #91
Pilot

I've owned CZ-75 variants since 1996, and have four right now, plus the excellent Kadet Kit .22LR conversion. I also have an Italian made 92FS that I bought about four years ago, which is also an excellent pistol. I installed the D spring, Elite II hammer, and extended mag release. All nice upgrades.

I still pick the CZ's to shoot, and carry more often, as they are just a bit more accurate, and ergonomic for me. You can't go wrong with either one though.
Old April 10, 2018, 12:06 AM   #92
boondocker385

I have had both. My 92 is over 20 years old with tens of thousands of rounds thru it. No complaints. My 75 is 4 years old. Runs great. I much prefer the 92 for its feel, soft recoil and overall reliability. Accuracy is about the same. The Beretta seems to like all the SD ammo I have tried, had some hiccups with the 75 and HSTs....YMMV.
Old April 15, 2018, 09:22 AM   #93
HankC1

Both are good pistols and you will wonder how is the other one when you have yours and ended up with both, or their clones, anyway. Some may say 92 has bigger grip and small hands may not fit best, maybe true for female hands which are smaller. My hands are not big but feel comfortable and shoot 92 well. I do have both.
Old April 20, 2018, 06:11 PM   #94
Bart Noir

Wilson Combat sells some G-10 grips for the 92, both regular thickness and an ultra-thin set, with some choice of color. I have both sizes and will likely get another set of the ultra-thin ones, as I like them that much.

Having those thin grips makes a noticeable difference. It simply makes a 92 feel less bulky.

Bart Noir
Old April 20, 2018, 07:12 PM   #95
Neal_G.

The Beretta looks nice, but it's just too big for what it carries.

The full size 92fs holds the same amount of rounds, 15, as the COMPACT CZ75. And the Beretta is already chunkier than the full size 75 as well. VZ grips, and CZ Custom, make great thin profile grips for the 75 series to make them feel even slimmer in the hands if you want. I have a set of VZ grips on my 75 Compact.

The main thing I'd like updated on the CZ 75 series is just better factory sights. Not even night sights, just bigger dots. The dots on the stock ones are way to small!
Old April 21, 2018, 04:06 AM   #96
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal_G. View Post
The main thing I'd like updated on the CZ 75 series is just better factory sights. Not even night sights, just bigger dots. The dots on the stock ones are way to small!

Totally agree with you on this. For my older eyes they are hard to use.
Old April 21, 2018, 07:28 AM   #97
pblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal_G. View Post
The Beretta looks nice, but it's just too big for what it carries.

The full size 92fs holds the same amount of rounds, 15, as the COMPACT CZ75. And the Beretta is already chunkier than the full size 75 as well. VZ grips, and CZ Custom, make great thin profile grips for the 75 series to make them feel even slimmer in the hands if you want. I have a set of VZ grips on my 75 Compact.

The original 92FS magazines had a 15 round capacity but Beretta sells 17 round mags that work fine. Mec-Gar also makes an 18 round, flush-fit magazine that is perfectly reliable and a "plus 2" magazine with a base plate that extends a little past the bottom of the frame that holds 20 rounds.
Old April 21, 2018, 10:21 AM   #98
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101:
Quote:Originally Posted by Neal_G. View Post The main thing I'd like updated on the CZ 75 series is just better factory sights. Not even night sights, just bigger dots. The dots on the stock ones are way to small!

Totally agree with you on this. For my older eyes they are hard to use.
Yep, right now I have my CZ 75B in at my local gunsmith for a F.O. front & blind rear sight set. I was having a tough time seeing that tiny dim front sight, especially indoors.

Last edited by JDBerg; April 21, 2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old April 21, 2018, 11:29 AM   #99
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
Yep, right now I have my CZ 75B in at my local gunsmith for a F.O. front & blind rear sight set. I was having a tough time seeing that tiny dim front sight, especially indoors.

Gotta a link of what you bought... would like to get some ideas.
Old April 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #100
4V50 Gary
Staff

I prefer the CZ. Fewer parts to accomplish the same mission. Smaller grips are great if a female member of the family must use it. Kadet conversion kit makes it affordable to use and practice with.