The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 25, 2021, 11:03 AM   #1
kmw1954

Richards Microfit stocks

Anyone here have experience with the Richards Microfit stocks? If so can you relate experience with them? Finished pictures?

I am looking at refitting a Savage Model 11 Bottom Bolt release with DBM. Have also considered building with a Blind Mag. The two models I am looking at are the Field Trekker and the Wolverine.
Old July 25, 2021, 11:54 AM   #2
AzShooter

I've bought a few Richard's Microfit stocks over the years and have been very pleased with them. I only bought them for my Ruger 10/22s but the fit was perfect.
Old July 25, 2021, 01:11 PM   #3
Geezerbiker

Don't expect to get anything from them anytime soon. I ordered a stock from them that was supposed to be an overstocked item and discounted. The man on the phone said it would ship in 3 days. A month later I called to see where it was and their phone was turned off. I had to get my credit card company involved to get my money back. Other said their phone was working again a couple days later but to me it seemed like they were too flaky to bother doing business with.

Tony
Old July 25, 2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Hawg

I bought one, a high grade maple. I didn't know before I bought it they're rough cut, very rough. That maple is hard as a rock. I never did get it smoothed out.
Old July 25, 2021, 04:58 PM   #5
kmw1954

These are the two I am thinking of using;
https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.co...al-grip-style/
https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.co...lverine-style/

In either the Economy grade Walnut of the Standard Grade.

Had thought about the Boyds Pro Varmint until watching this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NLfEz4buuY
Old July 25, 2021, 06:07 PM   #6
ligonierbill

I put 2 on old Mausers and was happy with the results. If I get either out of the safe this week, I will post pictures. One was Claro walnut, the other maple. The fit was pretty good, but minor work was required. Finishing, as others have noted, required a lot of work. Not as much as carving a longrifle stock from a blank, though. I would buy from them again.
Old July 25, 2021, 11:13 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

I have purchased several stocks from Richard's Microfit. The last two are cut very nicely and the inletting is near perfect fit. One is mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard s2 and the other on a Howa 1500. The stocks are Wolverine Thumbhole, and fit my hand like they were custom cut...I have small hands. I will tell you that other than the inletting, the exterior of these stocks require a healthy dose of elbow grease and sanding. They are shaped nice enough, but the cutters leave a rough surface.

The lead time depends on how they are backed up. The usual time is 10 weeks or so. Friday is not a good day to call them. All in all, my experiences have been satisfactory except for one instance. The inletting was cut wrong, and generally that one was bad. It went back, on my dime. They refunded my money except shipping. It is my opinion they have a new CNC machine since that return. The last two are great, and in a few weeks I'm gonna order another one for a Tikka t3 222.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20210519_130743.jpeg (1,010.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; July 25, 2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 25, 2021, 11:47 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

My family has dealt with about half a dozen of their stocks.
Most are inletted well - whether "99%" or one of the lesser grades.
Paying for full-price stocks, you should get what you pay for.
But wood grade is questionable with "Seconds" (Weatherby discards). Sometimes, you get more than you paid for. Sometimes, you pay for AA "Fancy" and get, "what? This is like 2x4 grade with a square inch of figure!"

I have one in my safe for the next project. It looks very good and I see no issues. Really, really good grain flow, honestly. Some of the best I have ever seen for a semi-inletted stock. (Which is really good, because it is a heavy-recoiling cartridge.)

My last one was not "normal" in the eyes of most people. But still a Richard's stock.
One of the screw holes was not quite centered. It was under sized, so not a big deal. But reaming an off-center undersized hole is still a pain in some cases.
It was all "within spec". Can't say that I didn't get what I paid for.
"As described, no complaints."

The last one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinkisherumptkin.jpg (421.7 KB, 355 views)
Old July 26, 2021, 02:00 AM   #9
Scorch

As a gunsmith for the past 30+ years, I have used a lot of Richards Microfit stocks. I have generally been satisfied with them, knowing that they are a pre-inletted, precarved stock blank, not a complete finished stock. What you get is a roughly inletted stock carved out of the wood of your choice with plenty of wood still to be removed. Most of the complaints I have heard about Richards Microfit over the years has to do with how rough the stocks are. They are priced very well, with good quality wood and good patterns used to carve the blanks. I have built dozens of rifles using Richards Microfit stocks and recommend them. I have had nicer stocks from other suppliers, I have had worse stocks from other sources, but pretty much all of the Richards stocks I have used has been a very good stock.
Old July 26, 2021, 04:14 PM   #10
kmw1954

Wow guys, Thanks a Big Bunch! That is some beautiful work. FrankenMauser which stock model is that you have there? I like it.
Old July 26, 2021, 09:21 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Prone Culbertson, I believe.
Definitely designed for short-action receivers, even though they offer inletting for long actions (like mine).
Old July 28, 2021, 11:05 PM   #12
kmw1954

The Savage barreled action came home today so I now have the serial number to contact Savage and hopefully acquire some stock parts I'm going to need like the Trigger Guard with the Bottom Bolt Release and the DBM Bottom Metal and magazine.

Now that I have it I am getting anxious and started looking at Boyds stocks but they have nothing that really interests me as the At-One are in my mind very pricey and there are others I would consider first at that price. Same goes for the Pro Varmint they are right at the same price as the Laminate Richards which I like much more. Which leave the Spike Camp which I can't really get excited about either. Not sure I want to settle for a quick solution and not be 100% happy with it.
Old July 28, 2021, 11:52 PM   #13
Hawg

Richards wood is very good but unless you're good at woodworking or know somebody that is the price reduction isn't worth it. I just wish somebody made an aftermarket stock for a G 33/40.
Old July 29, 2021, 11:56 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Richards wood is very good but unless you're good at woodworking or know somebody that is the price reduction isn't worth it.
That's the point.
They are not meant to be finished stocks.

If you want a finished stock, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old July 29, 2021, 02:03 PM   #15
kmw1954

FrankenMauser that is the dilemma, should I wait and get what I really want or do I settle for instant gratification? Feel like a kid in the candy store.
Old July 29, 2021, 07:13 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Wait for what you want. Don't impulse buy.
Old August 2, 2021, 01:36 PM   #17
kmw1954

OK, Just placed an order for a Request Quote on a Richards Field Trekker model in economy Claro Walnut. Says 8-10 weeks. Now I'm excited!
Old August 2, 2021, 01:55 PM   #18
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954OK
Just placed an order for a Request Quote on a Richards Field Trekker model in economy Claro Walnut. Says 8-10 weeks. Now I'm excited!
Don't get in a hurry, and be patient. I've never had Richard's meet a delivery date every time I ordered from them. I just buy what's in stock from their bargain list or one of their economy laminated stocks. Those choices usually shipped quickly.
Old August 2, 2021, 08:52 PM   #19
kmw1954

I am going to do my best to "Hang Tight" and wait. In the mean time I will start gathering supplies and tools. Try and foment a plan of attack and prepare for a lot of work.

Way back in the 70's I went to work for a marina/boat yard.. The owner was a major Chris Craft collector. That winter we stripped and restored a 19" Mahogany planked Hacker Craft. I doubt this will be that intense.

I have looked everywhere and I cannot find any pictures of a completed Richards Field Trekker. Have found someone that has finished 2 Wolverines and one Wolverine Thumb Hole.
Old August 3, 2021, 05:45 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

I ordered what was supposed to be an over stocked item on sale and was told over the phone it would ship in 3 days. A month later no stock. I had to get my CC company involved to get my money back. Good luck getting one in 8 to 10 weeks. It'll probably be a year...

Tony
Old August 3, 2021, 10:14 PM   #21
Colorado Redneck

As others have advised, don't get antsy. Give Richard's at least 12 weeks before ya nag them. Your excitement is understandable, but do your homework, do other things, keep busy. When it does arrive, understand and be prepared to accept that it probably will look a bit disappointing.

Meantime, arm yourself with several different grits of sandpaper. The barrel channel on the ones I have finished needed to be opened up to float the barrel. Find a deep socket that will fit the channel with sandpaper wrapped around it to work on that. A small wood chisel may be required to fit the action into the inletting. Remember to go slowly on taking off wood to alter the shape or dimensions. You can't put wood back on. It seems like it's tempting to start laying on Truoil but I have learned that when it seems ready to finish, it needs a lot more sanding. Every little scratch and imperfection will show up when the finish goes on, and taking off finish to clean up imperfections just drags the job out longer.

Hope you enjoy your project as much as I enjoy finishing a piece of lumber and then feeling like the rifle is really mine after it's done.
Old August 4, 2021, 08:14 AM   #22
kmw1954

Yeah I'm not expecting to see it until almost Nov., but I do have plenty of other things to do and to get ready for when it arrives.

Still have loads to test and develop. 5 new bullets I've never shot before. Same with 2 new powders.
Old August 19, 2021, 07:48 PM   #23
JRR

Here is one on a Mauser 24/47 custom. A higher grade of walnut. A lot of work.

Old August 19, 2021, 11:37 PM   #24
kmw1954

JRR, Very nice work indeed!
I need to stay patient and not rushed once it arrives.