The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2021, 09:33 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Would you go Walther PDP compact 5" or Walther PPQ Q5 5"

Hi,

PDP is going to replace all the PPQs at some point, but Walther is keeping the PPQ Q5 alive. Polymer compact grip, 5" barrel with lightening cuts on slide. 3 mags, fiber front, steel rear, optics plate that takes off the rear slide. No improvement on trigger but a coating on the trigger bar. Paddle mag release. $820. Probably no need to replace sights.

Or just go with the alive production line of the PDP. Looking at the compact with the 5" barrel. Probably need to replace sights.

Need to make a decision to buy with money burning a hole in my pocket. But can't. Don't know if the Q5 remains popular or not.
Old September 1, 2021, 09:37 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Would you go Walther PDP compact 5" or Walther PPQ Q5 5"

Steel frame Q5 or polymer frame?

Edit: should have read more closely, I see it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 1, 2021, 09:38 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

Polymer
Old September 1, 2021, 11:29 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

The Walther forum is making a convincing argument that Walther changed the firing pin block area inn the PDP and the anti friction coating on this area wears and results in a decreased trigger quality. No resolution from Walther at this time.

Dumb move since the PPQ carried the same area over from the P99 while serving no purpose in the P99 and the PPQ is drop safe.

Looks like the PPQ Q5 polymer is going in the cart.
Old September 1, 2021, 11:31 AM   #5
TunnelRat

You’re free to do as you want. I have not noticed any decreased quality after the rounds I have put through my PDP, and my PDP had a better trigger out of box than my PPQs. I guess time will tell.

Old September 2, 2021, 03:03 PM   #6
reddog81

I have a Q5 and like it. I don't plan on "upgrading" anytime in the future.
Old September 3, 2021, 11:46 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

Thanks for the thought!
Old September 3, 2021, 11:48 AM   #8
TunnelRat

To be clear the Q5 is a solid firearm and no doubt some production issues of the PDP will need to be ironed out as the pistol is still relatively new. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with a Q5. It’s good to see Walther is keeping some of the various iterations of the PPQ alive and well.

Old September 3, 2021, 01:34 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

It's a hard pill to swallow given the price is obviously higher than normal.

Isn't helping I'm seeing the first PDP price drop just today to $560. So you know they will come down.

Page is open for the Q5 polymer M1. But still haven't added to cart just yet.
Old September 3, 2021, 01:35 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Yeah I’ve also seen the PDP drop recently. If they could get it to around $550 regularly for a pistol that is optics ready that would be something just from a pricing standpoint.

Old September 3, 2021, 01:52 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

It's too late for this kid!

PPQ Q5 M1: Thank you Order Summary Total (USD) $829.99

Way too high. Justify it the good sights, the paddle release I like, and any mental anguish I have over the current PDP possibly having a wear point issue on the new Walther fire pin block design--I admit Walther will probably fix (if it does exist) in newer releases.

Now. I've never heard of IFG/Tanfolgio's Stock Master Defiant as it seems CZ Shadow copies them. And they look hot. Off to the next digging around hobby.
Old September 3, 2021, 01:54 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Puts to rest my new interest in the VP9L or Match. So that's good.

Still thinking on the G19 Gen5 though. Considering if other just duplicate the purpose (for me) too much. That maximum smallest compact size alone kinda speaks to me though.
Old September 10, 2021, 11:55 AM   #13
wild cat mccane

Unhappy with the purchase price tag and it will be deprecated at some point by Walther, but happy with everything else.