The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 28, 2019, 09:36 AM   #1
jamisdiablo

S&W .38SPL +P Model 36-1? (1952?)...?

I got some questions for y'all if you can help me out please.

Attached are some pics of a real nice S&W 38 special I've inherited and I feel like it might be worth something significant compared to other models. Problem is, I'm having trouble nailing down exactly which model revolver it is, year manufactured and approximate resale/collector value.

This one has a nice Pachmayr grip on it and the bore, cylinder and frame are all in very good condition given what I think it's age is.

Any help anyone could provide would be immensely appreciated! TIA!

(I also have a Colt .32NP revolver I posted about as well if you could take a look and provide any insight on that bad boy too. Thanks again!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf S&W2.pdf (1.82 MB, 159 views)
File Type: pdf S&W4.pdf (1.88 MB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf S&W1.pdf (1.78 MB, 81 views)
Old September 28, 2019, 09:40 AM   #2
JERRYS.

that's a newer gun with a lock built in.
Old September 28, 2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

As above, this is a fairly new S&W made in the last few years.

Key indicators are the long lug behind the cylinder that prevents the cylinder from coming off to the rear, and the small circular lock device just above the cylinder release.
If a special key is used the lock can be rotated and that locks the hammer so it can't be fired.
These are features shared by almost all S&W revolvers made within the last 10 years or so.

The model number is a 36, the "-10" is used by S&W to denote design changes to the model.
This is commonly referred to as the "dash number".
As I recall the Dash-10 is the current S&W version of the Model 36, so this was made rather recently.

The value depends on the actual condition but it will be worth no more than any other recently made Model 36.
Old September 29, 2019, 07:53 AM   #4
jamisdiablo

Thanks again DFariswheel! I was wondering what that little "L" meant. Sadly, I don't think I have the "key" for it. Wonder if S&W would be able to furnish another one for me or not. At least it's not in the lock position! Cheers, Scott
Old September 29, 2019, 06:26 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

I'm sure S&W will send you a new key.

Possibly they'll send you one free. Just contact them and ask about a replacement.
Old October 2, 2019, 12:19 PM   #6
jamisdiablo

S&W responded and said they'd send a key free of charge. Nice! Thanks again for the assist.
Old October 11, 2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Don Fischer

I have three S&W revolver's. The 32 long is a mod 16 and the model number is in the same place your's is. The other two don't have model numbers on them. One, 38 spec is a 38/44 Outdoorsman and the other is a 22 LR Combat Masterpiece I was told. Got that off the S&W internet site.

Tags
38special , colt , rare , s&w , stainless