The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1
xtrarnds

Rear sight on a Springfield Loaded Model...

I have a Springfield Armory SS Loaded .45 whose rear sight ( a factory installed NOVAK sight ) keeps working itself loose after about 50 - 75 rounds of shooting. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem. I've thought of Loc-Tite but I would like to be able to adjust the windage.

TIA
Old August 11, 2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Dave Sample

Why do you want to "Adjust the Windage " after you have the gun sighted in? Fixed sighted guns are just that. If you want to be able to keep it tight, that is one thing. If you want to be able to adjust it, that is another thing. Novak makes an adjustable rear sight that takes care of the up and down, but has to be moved from side to side for windage.

Caspian Arms has a 4-way adjustable sight that should fit that dovetail cut.

An easy way to tighten the dovetail sight you have is to remove it, take a center punch and smack some dimples in the bottom of the slide cut in the middle and then screw it back in and put some BLUE Loctite on the set screw when you install it.

If you want to make it never come loose, use some Red Locktite on the bottom of the sight before you put it back in. Then the set screw becomes redunant.
Old August 14, 2005, 01:16 AM   #3
xtrarnds

Thanks for the advice. I wanted the " windage adjustability" for things such as ammo variances for example. I'll try to contact Springfield and see what they have to say.
Old August 14, 2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Bravo25

Had the same problem with my Springfield. The set screw would vibrateup until it blocked the front blade. I finaly used blue locktite, and I am happy as a clam. DO NOT use the red locktite.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 21, 2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Eghad

I have some red loctite but I keep is stored far away form the blue loctite..that way I dont make a mistake and then have a little time to deicde if I really want to use the red

NRA Life Member