The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 8, 2005, 08:28 AM   #26
XavierBreath

PythonGuy,
I think it just has to do with the different areas and neighborhoods people live in. I know what to expect from my neighbors. We are friends, we BBQ together, our children play together, and I would no more let harm befall my neighbor's wife than my own. The same would go for my neighbor's widow, or his daughter. If a case goes to court, then guess who will be on my jury. People who feel the same.

If I lived on Long Island in New York, I might just let my neighbor die and read about it in the paper in two days though. I understand that is the proper way to behave there. That's why many people in the South scoff at moving to other areas. We still have communities, and we know and like who lives around us. It's not about playing policeman. It's about behaving like a man. You do not let harm come to your friend's wife. Your results may vary.

Oooops, I changed the scenerio didn't I? All my neighbors are married or widowed, so it's understandable........ The same applies to a single woman who is a neighbor, unless she is recently arrived from New York and has an arrogant attitude towards Southern virtues.
Old December 8, 2005, 10:16 AM   #27
PythonGuy

I understand your points XavierBreath, but in many states, mine included, it is a crime to do as the original posted asks and investigate with a gun. That is what you are doing in this case, which is not a correct tact in MANY places. Surely you see both sides?
And trust me, I'm not in love with my state or its laws either, I just obey them. I hope to move to a more free state in the near future, although, I would not go investigate possible crimes then either. Thats the problem with scenarios, everything is manipulated to allow the thread starter to, in their mind, legally use their gun. Life is not that linear or simple, however. I don't think this is a North-South issue, that war was already fought many years ago and not by anyone living in the North these days.
Old December 8, 2005, 10:51 AM   #28
Mikeyboy

My $.02 is you call 911, keep an eye on the house. Maybe if you certain something is wrong (non stop screaming, or the lady lives alone and is screaming help) and the cops are taking too long, you go to the door with a CW hidden in it holster and you knock(that is it). It happened to me a long time ago, an old lady in my apartment complex was screaming "Help Me". I called 911 and went up to the door and knocked. She didn't answer the door until the cops showed up, apparently the poor lady was having some mental issues. I have small kids and they can let out some blood curdling screams when they are playing, which drove me nuts at first , but now I know the difference between the play screams and pain/fear screams. If a armed neighbor kicks down my door, while I have my gun, something bad accidently might happen.
Old December 8, 2005, 12:48 PM   #29
XavierBreath

Quote:
Surely you see both sides?
I do see both sides, and I don't think it's a North/South thing. I was wrong to imply that.
It could just as easily be a Midwestern/New England thing. Or, from a few upstate NY farmboys I've known, a regional thing within the NY area.

The thing is, some people will take a personal risk of life and freedom to protect people they know from harm. Others will look at the risk to life and freedom and decide the risk is to great. It seems the risk is often considered to be excessive in large metropolitan areas, regardless of location. In smaller towns, and farming communities, people are more willing to take a chance and assist each other. It's a matter of knowing your neighbors and valuing your neighbors, even if you do not particularly like them.

Maybe I'm still off base, but where I live, if this occured, people would wonder why a man did NOT respond, not question the fact he did.
Old December 8, 2005, 04:13 PM   #30
PythonGuy

Well look, you are not off base, its your personal opinion and if you are willing to accept the consequences, so be it. I for one, would not do it because its dangerous, illegal, and too much can go wrong. Its not worth the risk to my family and my life to get arrested and lose my job, money, and liberty. You may do as you please and may you make the right decision for you.