The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2019, 02:58 AM   #51
Double Naught Spy

Update:

Jadlowski pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide back in October and received 1-3 years.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...t-least-a-year
Old January 15, 2019, 04:01 AM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

He was exceptionally lucky. IMHO he got off much too light, but at least he was convicted of a felony and will never be allowed to touch a firearm again. (At least, I hope that charge is a felony in NY.)
Old January 16, 2019, 02:01 PM   #53
Skans

Can you even take a deer at 200 yards with a handgun? Even with something the size of a deer, that has to be an incredible shot, right? I don't know because I don't hunt with a handgun.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:32 PM   #54
Double Naught Spy

Of course you can take a deer with a handgun at 200 yards. You can take a person with it, you can take a deer with it.

This article says it was a Thompson Center Contender in 35 caliber, so maybe 35 Remington which would be about a 180-200 gr. caliber bullet (commonly) which would certainly do the trick, probably with a velocity around 1900-2200 fps from a 14" barrel.
http://www.observertoday.com/news/pa...er-posts-bail/

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; January 17, 2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old January 18, 2019, 06:32 PM   #55
ausername

Should have gotten 20 years, no parole. When you look through a scope you know whether or not you can identify the target. There is no excuse for that. How do we know he didn't kill her on purpose?
Old January 19, 2019, 02:33 AM   #56
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
How do we know he didn't kill her on purpose?
There was no evidence to indicate that was the case.
Old January 19, 2019, 02:57 AM   #57
mete

Handgun metallic silhouette is that range. I've taken deer at 60 yds, iron sights, no problems . If I was younger that range cold be better.
Old January 19, 2019, 05:33 AM   #58
Old Stony

I shot IHMSA matches for years, and the steel targets at 200 meters were a lot smaller than a deer. When we would tie and need a shoot off, we would often end up shooting chicken targets at the 200 meter mark. It's hard to imagine someone shooting that distance without being able to properly identify their target.
Old January 19, 2019, 10:40 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Old Stony, people shoot a lot closer without being able to identify a target.

Instead of 200 yards, how about 20 yards with a shotgun, and this isn't a one-off example, either.
https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf...kes_frien.html

Some fail to improperly identify targets regardless of distance. They make sound shots or movement shots.
Old January 19, 2019, 06:01 PM   #60
JJ45

Woman walking around in deer season without blaze orange clothes is not smart at all...not excusing the criminal shooter who was negligent no matter what..

Of course, not everyone is aware of hunting seasons. I am an avid deer hunter but also run my Brittany during gun season. He and I both are covered in blaze orange!
Old January 22, 2019, 02:28 PM   #61
Gas Bag

It makes me wonder if he was sober, because that is a big mistake to make. How many deer are out there, walking on 2 feet?
Old January 25, 2019, 11:45 AM   #62
hagar

I lived in upstate NY for 5 years. Every single year, mostly on opening day, a couple of people got killed due to negligence and pure stupidity.

Too many Yahoos that drink the night before, and then next morning shoots at anything that move or make noise. Or shoot themselves with a fully loaded Casull 454 climbing a tree stand.

I remember some pretty horrible stories, like the father that killed his son with a shotgun when he heard a rustling in the bushes, then killed himself when the others in his party went to get help.

Also lived in AZ for 14 years. The number of people shot by hunters during hunting season was astoundingly low. Maybe 2 or 3 all the years I lived there.

But AZ spreads their seasons over a number of months, not like NY where you only have a couple of days, and hunters have the mentality "I got to get that deer right now"..
Old January 25, 2019, 04:17 PM   #63
ThomasT

Not really a Zombie thread yet. Just a mouldering corpse.

The case is over and closed.
Old January 25, 2019, 06:34 PM   #64
Paul B.

"Also lived in AZ for 14 years. The number of people shot by hunters during hunting season was astoundingly low. Maybe 2 or 3 all the years I lived there.

But AZ spreads their seasons over a number of months, not like NY where you only have a couple of days, and hunters have the mentality "I got to get that deer right now".."

Well for one thing, AZ has a pretty aggressive stance on Hunter Education. They also give those who pass the course one free bonus point toward drawing a tag so most hunters probably have taken the course. Quite a few "old timers" took the course just to get the point and admitted they learned more than they thought they would. I know because I was an instructor for a bit over 16 years. Health problems made it imperative that I drop out of the program.
Paul B.
Old January 25, 2019, 10:35 PM   #65
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45
Woman walking around in deer season without blaze orange clothes is not smart at all...not excusing the criminal shooter who was negligent no matter what..
Yeah, no excuse to the shooter, but agree whole-heartedly with the above statement. My wife and I do backpacking in the fall all the time. Wearing a bright colored shirt and oftentimes a hat is simply prudent insurance. Although an old story, it's a good reminder for both hunters (target ID), and those who do other outdoor activities during hunting season...

ROCK6