The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 24, 2019, 08:14 PM   #1
thallub

Man & Son Sentenced For Killing Bear/Cubs

An Alaskan man and his 18 year old son were sentenced for killing a bear and her cubs in their den. The deed was recorded by a camera in the bears den.

i'm surprised their hunting privileges were not suspended for life.

Quote:
Andrew Renner, 41, was sentenced to three months in jail and his son Owen Renner, 18, received 30 days of suspended time in the April 2018 killings. Each was ordered to pay $1,800 in restitution, with the elder Renner owing an additional $9,000 fine, the Anchorage Daily News reported.

The father and son skied to the site on Esther Island in Prince William Sound, where the son killed the mother bear in front of her two cubs. The father turned his rifle point-blank on the newborns "shrieking in the den," prosecutors said. The son shot the sow bear twice as she slept, they said, according to the paper.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...&OCID=AVRES000
Old January 24, 2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I recall reading about the incident at the time. I think it was discussed here.

They got off much too light.
Old January 25, 2019, 08:08 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post

They got off much too light.

While IMHO, I agree, odds are they were sentenced within the limits of the offenses. That's the problem with so many wildlife offenses, as offensive as they might be, the punishment is not really fitting of the crime. Far too many folks take crimes against wildlife too lightly. This pertains not only to those committing the crimes, but folks in the criminal justice system setting penalties.

Sounds like to me, the kid was under direction of the dad. While what they did seems horrendous, it is legal in some parts of Alaska.(shooting of bears in a den, shooting a sow with cubs and the shooting of cubs). I'm not defending the dad, he's just trash as far as I'm concerned, just pure trash teaching his kid to be trash. But authorities were probably hogtied to how much they could give the azzhat.
Old January 25, 2019, 07:27 PM   #4
cpt-t

thallub: The punishment given them was just way to light IMHO. Just what kind of men would shoot a Bear and Her Cubs in their den. This father & son duo should never be allowed to hunt anything ever again, or ever be able to even touch a gun again. And they should fixed where neither one of them could never reproduce again.
ken
Old January 25, 2019, 10:05 PM   #5
Wishoot

Dirtbags.

Probably not the first time they've poached. Just the first time they got caught.
Old January 26, 2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Armed_Chicagoan

They also lost their boat, trailer, and truck since those were used to carry out the "hunt".
Old January 26, 2019, 02:00 PM   #7
kenny53

I find actions like this disgusting. I used to hunt and I could never wrap my mind this kind of mentality. I am sure they were so proud of themselves and laughing and joking. Glad they got caught, wish they would have received harsher punishment.
Old January 26, 2019, 02:00 PM   #8
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
Dirtbags.

Probably not the first time they've poached. Just the first time they got caught.
Sounds like the only reason they got caught is because the camera in the den. I’d be surprised if they hadn’t done the same thing a dozen times before.

I’d suggest throwing them back in the den, send in a hungry Papa bear and see how they fair.
Old January 26, 2019, 04:40 PM   #9
std7mag

While not legal to hunt in the den, many times in PA a sow with cubs is killed, and the hunters partners kill the cubs.
As long as you check them in it's legal.
Unmoral to me, but legal.
PA is now claiming an overpopulation of blackbears.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...