The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 24, 2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

9mm suppressor recommendations (SIG Sauer P226 as the host)

What can do you guys recommend? I'm thinking Yankee-Hill or Osprey..but I'm not quite sure.
Old May 24, 2014, 02:59 AM   #2
Theohazard

Yankee Hill makes good stuff, but none of it is on par with the top silencers on the market. But the Osprey is one of the top pistol silencers on the market, and its unique offset design gives it few disadvantages along with some advantages. The advantages of the design are:
  • More internal volume (so it's a little shorter than silencers with similar performance).
  • It sits lower than normal silencers so sometimes stock sights will see over it.
  • It's much more adaptable to holster use.
  • It's a lot easier to tell if it's coming unscrewed when you're shooting, which makes it easier to avoid baffle strikes.
But its disadvantages are:
  • It's sealed and can't be taken apart, so it's not a good idea to shoot cast bullets or .22 though it.
  • It has a somewhat fragile indexing latch system.
  • Its indexing latch system means you need a tool just to take out the piston: It's more difficult to switch out the piston or take it out for cleaning.
  • Its baffle design gives it more first-round-pop than some other designs.

In my opinion, the Octane is the best pistol silencer on the market. Here's a thread about it that I started a while back:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534697

Also, if you search through the NFA forum you'll see that the Octane has been discussed in several other threads as well.

By the way, when I say the Osprey has a "somewhat fragile indexing latch system", I don't mean the latch is poorly designed or fragile in and of itself; it's actually pretty well designed. But considering a normal cylindrical silencer doesn't need an indexing latch system at all, the Osprey's latch simply adds an extra feature that's relatively complicated and could break. That's one of the reasons I prefer the Octane.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 24, 2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: posts merged
Old May 24, 2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

I just got flipped upside down. First off. Thanks for the info it's amazing and awesome to know everything I needed to know in just one post. You rock for that.

Now the issue.

I have reverse threads on my factory SIG Sauer threaded barrel.

-___-
Old May 24, 2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Theohazard

You're welcome! I love spreading around my silencer addiction! And don't worry, your barrel isn't a problem at all. The normal 9mm thread pattern is 1/2x28, but lots of factory barrels (SIG, H&K, Glock) come in metric 13.5x1mm left-hand threads (which is what you have). So all you need is a 13.5x1mm LH piston instead of a 1/2x28 piston and you're good to go (I've never seen a modern silencer company that didn't offer 9mm pistons in both those thread patterns).

Some people prefer the left-hand metric threads: they tend to be less likely to come unscrewed during shooting (which can cause baffle strikes) because the metric pistons from most major companies usually use o-rings and the standard ones usually don't.

You can order your silencer with the correct piston for your barrel. But if you end up with a silencer that has the wrong piston, you can either just buy an extra piston or trade it out with someone else. At the FFL/SOT I used work at, we would trade out pistons free of charge if a customer bought a silencer and wanted a piston with a different thread pattern.
Old May 24, 2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

13.5x1mm. That's awesome. So I don't know why everyone laughed at me at work lol jerks. So it isn't a big deal then. Thanks! Can't wait to get this darn thing already. I've heard that the best 9mm host is the P226. So that got me a little more amped up.

Old May 24, 2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comstantine
So I don't know why everyone laughed at me at work lol jerks.
Ha, yeah, they apparently don't have any idea what they're talking about. Sure, the left-hand metric pistons are slightly less common, but that's it: Every silencer you're going to be looking at will be offered with a 13.5x1mm LH piston.

I actually have very little experience shooting a silenced 226, so I can't speak from much personal experience (I was shooting it at an indoor range so it was hard to tell a difference), but the general consensus is that the 226 tends to be quieter than most other silenced pistols. You've got a terrific silencer host.
Old May 24, 2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

That's awesome lol I mean yeah. It's odd but it's not that serious. They made it seem like I was done for.

Oh man, cannot wait to get this darn thing already. My favorite gun just so happens to be a great host.

By any chance... any pics?
Old May 25, 2014, 01:38 AM   #8
Machineguntony

I shoot my 226 mk25 with a full length and a shorty silencer. The problem I have is that I can't get the thing to go subsonic, since all I have is 115 gr bullets.

It's pretty cool bc if you just shoot far out, you can hear the sonic boom, as the sonic boom is much louder than the muzzle report. If you take it to an indoor range, you can hear the impact of the projectile against the backstop, as the bullet impact noise is louder than the muzzle report.

The advantage of the longer one, which is a Liberty, is that it is rated full auto, so you can stick it on this...

Last edited by Machineguntony; May 25, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old May 25, 2014, 02:42 AM   #9
Theohazard

Machineguntony: Is that an AAC Ti-Rant 45S or 9S? If I had to bet I'd say it's a 45S, but it's hard to tell from the pic. I've always liked the S versions because of how much shorter they are. And that looks like a Liberty Mystic on the bottom, right? Nice setup!

Constantine: I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. But I don't have any hosts as cool as that MP5. Man, I need to get a full-auto.
Old May 25, 2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Machineguntony

It is a 9, yes. Both pics are of the same gun. I actually like the shorty better, as it just looks cooler (personal POV). And the sound difference between the two is maybe 10 decibels.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Theohazard

That's my AAC 7.62 SDN-6 on my 5.56 AR-15 build, and my SWR/SilencerCo Octane-9 HD on my Glock 19.
Old May 27, 2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

I have a Trident9 on my Sig. Someday I want to send it to SRI to modify it to a take apart can.

If I were to get another 9mm pistol can I would get the Octane most likely.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:58 PM   #13
tmorone

Check out the swr octane 9. You can shoot .22lr, 9mm, subsonic 300blk and its an excellent can.

Or go the octane 45 route and have a can that does that PLUS gives you the ability to suppress 45. Very happy with mine, was looking at the AAC stuff then went the swr route on a dealer recommendation.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:16 PM   #14
hbk80rice

On my 228 and 229 I've used both the AAC Evo-9 & Tirant-9. Sound just about the same with 147 or 158 gr ammo but spend more and get one that can be broken down, Tirant-9. So as far as Sig pistols go that's the experience I've had.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:20 PM   #15
hbk80rice

On second thought find one that you can also use on the AR platform. A RR in 9mm is so much fun with a can. Also don't forget to check to see if its full auto rated, if you are so lucky