The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2020, 04:54 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Tube extensions not 922 compliant--why is Nordic selling them?

So got the Beretta 1301 Comp. Beautiful. Planned on a Nordic tube extension then read about 922.

There are no aftermarket US made replacement parts that the ATF lists as original/foreign on the Beretta 1301. Only one atrociously ugly buttstock, but no other item.

The CZ 712 I just sold, same thing. Not a single part replaces the foreign parts of a CZ 712. Not one.

Yet Nordic Components sells these items with no mention of 922 on its website.

So what the heck? Is that just the end of the road for legally putting on an extension?

Last edited by wild cat mccane; October 26, 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old October 26, 2020, 05:30 PM   #2
jmstr

Ok- I am NOT a legal expert.

However, I believe that 922r compliance is primarily about long guns [rifle and shotgun] that would be considered a prohibited import if it had too many foreign made parts on it. But, if it was assembled with primarily US made parts in the same configuration, it would be ok.

Such as FAL, SKS, AK, etc.

I really don't think adding a mag tube extension to a sporting shotgun, be it Beretta or CZ, would trigger any concerns.

It is not a prohibited gun with or without the mag tube extension, from my understanding.

Now, state law may be different. I think any 10 round or less semi-auto tube fed shotgun is ok in California, but wouldn't push it to 11 or 12 rounds in a semi-auto centerfire firearm. 10 round limit.

NJ has various laws that make normal sporting .22lr rifles illegal, but I haven't checked about this length issue.

NY has a, what, 7 round mag max? Or was that Connecticut? And, was that only handgun or long gun also?

The point is, I don't think adding a mag tube to the two shotguns you mentioned would trigger 922r issues.

However, if you had a US made AK and changed to foreign made parts for the 11 part hit list, then you would be in violation.

Or, if you had a grandfathered Saiga, for example, and wanted to change it out to different parts, you'd need to be careful.

But- that is MY opinion.

That said, my only mag tube extension is on a Remington pump.