The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2002, 01:16 AM   #1
gordo b.

Rifled Winchoke tube question

Has any body tried sabot slugs out of a Winchoke rifled tube? I have winchokes on my Remingtons (there were no Rem chokes when I had them put on) and dont want a special rifled barrel on these custom guns.What is the best make to put on a win choke, and where can I get one. I shoot foster and Brenneke out of imp cylinder now.
Old December 4, 2002, 05:54 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What level of accuracy are you now getting? It takes testing to determine which slug is best for a given shotgun and shooter.

If you're getting 4" groups at 50 yards,you're fine. If you're not getting shot opps within that range, chances are improving your hunting skills is mroe crucial than a hardware upgrade.
Old December 5, 2002, 08:57 PM   #3
gordo b.

Not for hunting a full race combat shot gun, the foster slugs get about 4" at 50 yds but I want to be able to shoot sabot slugs that need rifling and want to know if any body has used WINCHOKE rifled tube?
Old April 21, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
zmopar1

Reply to using a rifled winchoke

I have a model 120 Winchester which is the same as a 1300 model. I orginally use to shoot a smoothbore 22 inch barrel with rifled slugs. I tried Federals, Remingtons and Winchesters with no acuraccy I then tried Rotweil and was on target at 75 yards. I was however unhappy with my groups. So since I could not find a rifled barrel and some states make the use of them illegal. I opted to have my barrel tapped for a choke tube. If I went to a state that would not allow rifiling I could insert a Improved Cylinder tube and shoot Rifled slugs again. I tried a Winchoke and found I was able to now tighten my group from 4 inches to about 2 1/2 inches. At 100 yards I was getting a little offf target though my group looked like it was from a scatter gun. So I purchased a Colonial Arms brand rifled choke tube model INVRC and gained an incredible amount of accuracy, The tube was 2 3/4 inches long compared to the winchokes 2 1/4 inch tube. All of a sudden I was getting about 2 inches high at 50 and 1 inch low at 100 yards. I was surfing the net and saw a hastings choke tube 5 inches in length for a price of $59.95 and decided to try it. Now I shoot about 1 inch low at 125 yards with a 2 inch group using Remington Buckhammers and I get the same results at 150 yards with Horandys SST slugs. I think it made my shotgun even more accurate than my Model 94 3030.
Old November 17, 2020, 12:57 PM   #5
Dsmeyer

zmopar1, Wanting to pick up the model 120. Im really interested in your post. Can you send any links to any of these special add ones you are mentioning? Would love to be able to hunt deer with slugs with 100 yard plus accuracy.

Are you looking to sell?
Old November 17, 2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Doyle

Dsmeyer, you replied to a thread that has been dead for 13 YEARS on your very first post. Please don't do that.
Old November 17, 2020, 02:03 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

OP is 18 years old not 13. It was 5 when zmopar1 posted.
4" at 50 yards is still poor accuracy though.