The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2022, 12:23 AM   #1
AmericaMan

Placing a Red Dot on a CZ P-09

Hello everyone, I have a question that I believe I already know the answer to but would like confirmation on. My dad recently purchased a CZ P-09 and soon after found out about pistol mounted red dots and really wants to put one on this pistol. I was thinking about Christmas presents for him and thought it would be a good idea to get one for him, however I don't believe there is any mounting point manufactured on the pistol. I was wondering if there was a way to mount one in place of the rear iron sight but I'm not aware of any way to do that nor do I think it's a particularly good idea to not have backup irons. If anyone knows anything otherwise I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

This is what his pistol looks like: https://www.classicfirearms.com/cz-u...d-luminescent/
Old December 6, 2022, 01:01 AM   #2
Ignition Override

Have you tried a CZ owner website, such as...?

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?board=65.0

They have separate forums for the 07, 09, the 75s, 75 Compacts, 82/83 etc.... VZ-58 rifles..

My main source for any tweaks, even just field stripping etc is Youtube.
Maybe somebody here discusses how to mount. I've never owned Any sort of gun scope (age 67).

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+dot+on+cz+po9

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 6, 2022 at 01:15 AM.
Old December 6, 2022, 02:14 AM   #3
armoredman

Cajun Gun Works can do it easily enough.
Old December 6, 2022, 06:08 PM   #4
sevt_chevelle

Been there done it.
Impact machine, Scott is the son of David Milam whom started Cajun Gun Works. Went with impact simply due to the faster turnaround time, he has done I think 4 dots for me.

On a P09 you can direct mill a RMR.
You have 3 choices with that foot print.
1. New glock dovetail cut in front of rmr.
2. Rmr with no rear sight
3 glock dovetail cut behind rmr

I went option 3

EGW makes mounts that slide into the factory dovetail.
They sit very high and tend to fail.
They are good dipping your toes into the red dot game without modification.
Old December 6, 2022, 06:35 PM   #5
gwpercle

If your Dad is like me ...getting Old Eyes , then you don't see iron sights like you did when you were 21 . I had just about given up accurate shooting when I discoved a Red Dot sight mounted on a Ruger MKII for sale , a 1" tube Millet SP-1 in weaver rings and bases ...bulky as heck but .... Holey Manoley was that set up sweet ... I was young again and could shoot tiny groups . Now they have the compact Red Dots and now I see they can be slide mounted !!!
I outfitted all my range guns with Millet and Tasco tube type Red Dot sights and don't use the iron sights any longer .
My next gun will be cut for a mount with one of those small compact Red Dots and I'm not going to worry about irons .
I think your Dad would Love to have a compact Red Dot on his CZ P-09 ... talk to the boys at Cajun Gun works and see what they reccomend ... I'm sure he will enjoy whatever you get him ...
Tell your Dad for me ... that He has a Good Son !
Gary

Tags
cz usa , pistol red dot