The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2022, 09:59 PM   #1
'88Scrat

RMR Sight Picture

Last weekend I picked up an FNX-45 Tactical in FDE at the local gun shop. I wasn't planning on it but I ended getting talked into buying a coyote tan Trijicon RMR for it by the sales rep.

I got to a admit it looks REALLY cool with the many shades of FDE.

That said, I've never owned a handgun with a red dot before and after installing the RMR on the FNX I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

For starters the suppressor high sights on the FNX-45 seem to take up a lot of the sight picture when I look through the glass. Do RMR sights use an absolute co-witness or am I better off trying a 1/3?

I think with time I could probably get used to it but I gotta be honest right now the sight picture is so foreign compared to what I've always seen with iron sights that it's kinda throwing me off.

Any advice or is this just a training/repetition thing to get attuned to it?
Old September 14, 2022, 03:01 PM   #2
Rob228

Its going to be the training/repetition thing and before long you won't even notice the sights. Easiest way to start to get used to it is practicing a draw into a dry shot, with your focus on the exact part of the target you want to hit. Stare at that part of the target, draw and after a few repetitions you'll start to automatically bring the pistol to where it needs to be to put the dot on the spot you are looking at, you won't be searching for the dot at all and you won't notice the sights.