The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2022, 01:29 PM   #51
DAKA

Nice looking gun, I had my 6906 polished ...went from slightly beat up looking to beautiful.
I'd post a pic, but my techy is limited...
I just started shooting it again, these "older" guns are much more fun to shoot than any new Glocky one IMHO YMMV
Old September 20, 2022, 02:19 PM   #52
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313 View Post
1975 Smith & Wesson 39-2

I absolutely LOVE it ... the model 39 is a handsome looking handgun ...
I don't care what anyone says .
Gary
Old September 22, 2022, 02:20 PM   #53
JustJake

Quote:
Nice looking gun, I had my 6906 polished ...went from slightly beat up looking to beautiful.
Talk about beautiful, I saw a 6909 that had been hard-chromed by Tripp Research back in the day. They’d even polished the flats. Lotta ‘bling!’ to the look, but beautiful and unusual.
Old September 23, 2022, 12:47 PM   #54
jamespeterman

I had one just like it. Bought it in 1986 used for $ 265.00. I don't think that it had 100 rounds through it. Sold it to a very good friend for what I had into it back in 1999 and bought a Glock 19. Wish that I never sold that S&W 39-2 nickel plated gem.
Old September 23, 2022, 11:26 PM   #55
riggins_83

Many good looking out there! For my money, the DW Valor Vbob has to be my favorite. All on this thread are great looking!

Old October 23, 2022, 12:28 AM   #56
HisSoldier

Lots of purdy guns shown here, but I have to agree with PSP, the P-08 takes the cake for beautiful lines.
Aside from looks there are so many superlative attributes available that, for me, all add up to the 1911. By that I mean the 1911 has everything I like a pistol to have and none of the things I personally hate.

Others have different yardsticks, and for them they are correct. But let's focus on the P-08; the P-08 has a striker, which I hate, it has the mag release where common sense dictates, is chambered in a somewhat wimpy cartridge (In my opinion) but one of the most mechanically interesting actions of any gun every made. The safety is a bit awkward and very few P-08s have what I'd call a good trigger. I'd never carry one for self defense unless that was all I had!
I also agree with Forte S&W about the appearance of the PPK/s, but only for a good looks album and an interesting design album.

An album filled with "Beautiful guns" could never be printed that appealed to everyone, nor one of the most interesting designs, nor most practical controls, etc.
I expect that everyone knows these things, so I have to think the OP's real motive was to make contact with people who like S&W automatics, and though I own many guns and have sold only a handful in the last 58 years one that I got rid of was an S&W auto which I thought had a terrible trigger, but the guy that bought it probably loves it.

But they do look nice.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 23, 2022, 04:05 AM   #57
Gas Bag

It’s a great looking gun, IMO.
Old October 26, 2022, 11:17 PM   #58
Ignition Override

Most of these handguns depictid are far two purdy to shewt.

But you No that.

Several years ago I had an M-1 Service Grade Special which I bought in the CMP Store in Anniston.

It had remained in Greece for decades, store in cosmoline, probably since the Greek Civil War.

So nice, with new wood, that I never shot it; sold it after a few months when Armslist was Still in its "Golden Years".
Old October 27, 2022, 06:50 PM   #59
FITASC

OK, YIKES! I apologize for the screen size but I am not sure how to resize this from the web pic, so Mods, Mea Culpa: (but it sure is purty)

"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 28, 2022, 04:04 PM   #60
wild cat mccane

Curiosity. Why the checking on the front of the vbob?

I disagree with Bac. I think his full dust cover silver P210 is pretty hard to bet for looks.
Old October 31, 2022, 12:13 PM   #61
Classic12

It’s a nice gun for sure. I have a well used ex police 39-2, and an almost new 39 no dash

But the Sig P210 of the 1949-51 era is prettier imo

Old November 2, 2022, 07:49 AM   #62
bac1023

Quote:
I disagree with Bac. I think his full dust cover silver P210 is pretty hard to bet for looks
Thanks. They are also the best shooting P210's, in my opinion. German P210 Super Target from the Mastershop...

The full dust cover gives it a monolithic look and really aids in balance.

Last edited by bac1023; November 2, 2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old November 2, 2022, 10:24 AM   #63
wild cat mccane

Exactly right in my eyes too. The grip, in target or carry, something doesn't line up for my eyes, but that full dust cover just looks solid.

Maybe less lines than a more machined gun that could be said to be more appealing, but that one is one of my tops. Like seeing it every time. Thanks!

The Redbacks also kinda have the same appeal as a top looking gun, but (personally) they look too big where the P210 is slimmer.

Just nice.
Old November 2, 2022, 05:24 PM   #64
bac1023

Quote:
The Redbacks also kinda have the same appeal as a top looking gun, but (personally) they look too big where the P210 is slimmer.
The Redback is definitely a more chunky pistol than is the P210 Super Target. However, its actually an even better performer.

Old November 2, 2022, 05:27 PM   #65
bac1023

If sticking to the S&W line, the 952-1 is tough to beat for an aesthetics standpoint.

So much class and so much ability...

Old November 3, 2022, 01:24 AM   #66
jmstr

Bushmaster1313, I am VERY glad you are so happy with your purchase!

All of us should support each other's excitement about their passions.

However, you HAD to know that starting a thread with that type of question is bound to generate a 'no' response from someone, as we all have different ideas about what is beautiful- in handguns, sure, but also in our potential physical partners.

That said, I have to say that I can concede it looks attractive, but I think MINE is the most beautiful handgun EVER, even if the picture doesn't do complete justice to it:

Of course, part of my thoughts are because I fitted all the parts and built/assembled this gun from individual parts. The only part of the process I did NOT do is the bluing job and the sight cuts.
Old November 5, 2022, 08:41 AM   #67
JustJake

@Bac1023: that's some nice Swiss bling in post #64.

Here's a Euro "pocket rocket" model in my favorite caliber. Beautiful little blaster!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.JPG (859.8 KB, 20 views)
Old November 5, 2022, 09:53 PM   #68
ILLINI

Astra 600.JPG

A nice gun. Its really hard to field strip.

ILLINI
Old November 6, 2022, 10:25 PM   #69
Trooper Joe

My CZ PCR is one of the nicest guns I have.

Of course, this model 81 Beretta is a close second regarding beauty.

Of course, paying respects to the OP, I too will honor the S&W 39-2

Trooper Joe
Old November 7, 2022, 10:56 PM   #70
Smaug

…two characters

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer