The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2018, 10:42 PM   #51
marc780

Glock is a good choice, FWIW I have a 26 (baby Glock) and a 21 .45. I bought a Springfield XD in .45 but wished I had got the 21 all along, now I have it and the XD just sits.
Glocks are simple to use and simple to clean, also they're the easiest pistol in the world to detail strip. My Beretta 92 is more accurate, and has a safety, which I like - but I have the aftermarket "Siderlock" safety (puts a safety button on the trigger) on both of em. Most Glock "loyalists" are strongly against any kind of safety on their Glock, and I can see their point... but I like having the option of being able to safe the gun with a round in the chamber.

The only thing I did that I'd recommend others to get, for their Glock is the extended slide lock/disassembly latch. It is cheap and very easy to swap out. And after spending too much time fumbling with the OEM latch, it makes taking the gun apart much much easier.

http://glockparts.com/Products.aspx?CAT=5205
Old April 24, 2018, 08:37 PM   #52
INMY01TA

My cousin lives in NJ. His G17 came with the standard 17rnd mags but they were pinned to only accept 15rnds.
Old November 30, 2022, 03:18 PM   #53
LeoHard

Thanks for the information.
Old November 30, 2022, 05:05 PM   #54
wild cat mccane

VP9.

All the qualities of the 17 while improving on all the negatives of the 17. The size difference is not worth not going VP9.

The G19 has the attributes of being one of the smallest "compacts."

Glock gives you the Safe system.

Otherwise the VP9 will feel better to 10 out of 10 people, the trigger is better. Even if it didn't make it shoot better, the experience will feel better.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 30, 2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old December 1, 2022, 08:55 PM   #55
Mike38

First handgun? Something chambered in .22 long rifle. Once you master that, your first centerfire handgun should be something with a manual safety, so that rules out a Glock. After a few years, and 10K rounds of training, then, maybe, a Glock.
Old December 1, 2022, 09:03 PM   #56
camsdaddy

Hopefully by now the original poster has been shooting a few years and has 10k plus rounds under their belt and can enjoy the Glock 17
Old December 1, 2022, 09:23 PM   #57
eflyguy

My daughter has been shooting a G17 in USPSA since middle school. We had a local guy (Glock sponsored) rework the trigger and everyone who's shot it agrees it's one of sweetest they've ever handled.

I have always emphasized being able to pick up anything and be competent.

We regularly practice blind drills with everything from her Shield and my G43, up to a 1911. She has much smaller hands than me and has no issue. I also have no issue handling the compacts with my slabs of meat. I compete with an (original) XD and we regularly swap out for a match just for variety.
Old December 1, 2022, 09:39 PM   #58
Nodak1858

Zombie thread alert.
But I see nothing wrong with a Glock as a first handgun. We don't make people learn to drive in a three on the tree straight six, no reason not to learn with a modern handgun.