The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2005, 01:57 PM   #26
Hawgleg44

Zappdragon- Sent you a PM. Not interested in selling since I'd want another one to replace it.

357SIG- I'll take a pic later on tonight of my AR and AK mag pile.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old February 5, 2005, 03:35 PM   #27
drifts1

Does any one know if the surefire x200 weapon light will fit on a Sigma? It is supposed to fit both the universal standard rail and the Picatinny rail.
Old February 5, 2005, 06:18 PM   #28
Hawgleg44

The only light I know of that will fit the Sigma is the Streamlight M4. According to the Combat Handguns article, there are no lights currently made to fit it, so they may have stopped production of them due to lack of sales. I know that I'm the only person I know that has one for their Sigma, and I really like it. In fact, I was thinking about machining a mount from Delrin or UHMW plastic to fit my AR so I can use the same light as my pistol. Right now, I have a mount to use an M3 on it.

Still haven't had the chance to take the pics of my AR/AK mags. I'll try tonight again, but I didn't forget.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old February 5, 2005, 06:38 PM   #29
drifts1

Do you know what type of rail is on the Sigma? I just found out an old friend of mine works at Surefire so I am able to get 50% off all products. The X200 is their newest light and I was hoping I would be able to use it. In the meanwhile I'll just get acouple of their flashlights.
Old February 5, 2005, 09:11 PM   #30
Hawgleg44

It's a one-off rail. No other manufacturer has the same one. It's similar to the one HK uses, but still different dimensions. I wish they would have gone standard like everyone else, but it's not.

Will work for ammo.
Old February 7, 2005, 02:50 AM   #31
carguyjohn350

Ok, this may be a silly question, but: what is a sigma? I am new to guns and have a S&W .38 revolver. I am contemplating a second gun and am attracted to the SW40VE because of its price and (from my observations on this board) reliability. I notice its referred to as a Sigma? What does that mean?
Old February 7, 2005, 04:41 AM   #32
yorec

Here's a five or so year old pic of my 40F that has over 13000 trouble free rounds through it. (Was at about 5000 at the time.) Will break 14000 rounds this March at my next class.

And one of it today - just took it for this post. Now the Handall grip is covered in electrical tape, having worn out and the slide finish is starting to gray as it wears. Need to send the slide to S&W for new night sights - the old one's are getting mighty dim... Otherwise still doin' fine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sigma.JPG (59.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Sigma 05.JPG (17.9 KB, 2195 views)
Old February 7, 2005, 08:01 AM   #33
Hawgleg44

Ok, this may be a silly question, but: what is a sigma? I am new to guns and have a S&W .38 revolver. I am contemplating a second gun and am attracted to the SW40VE because of its price and (from my observations on this board) reliability. I notice its referred to as a Sigma? What does that mean?

The SW40VE you are looking at is a Sigma. They market them as the SIGMA Series. Anything starting with SW40, SW9, SW357 is a Sigma. The VE you are looking at is a third generation gun which has had all of the earlier problems (although most are very rare) corrected. They have just come out with a 4th generation gun which is basically the same, but has closer tolerances and a smoother trigger. That will be the SW40GVE.

You'll love your Sigma after you spend a little time with it. The newer GVE's have a suggested retail price of only $280, so you should be able to find them far cheaper than that.

Will work for ammo.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:39 AM   #34
Hawgleg44

OK, you asked for it. Here's proof of my magazine addiction. I do have one more mag for my AK that I found after the pic, but the extra one will go with the SLR-95 I have up for sale now.

Here it goes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP1 and mags.jpg (83.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg AK and mags.jpg (101.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Quality Hardware Carbine and mags.jpg (65.5 KB, 175 views)

Will work for ammo.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:43 AM   #35
Hawgleg44

OK, one more of a few of my DAO Smith 9mm's, a 6946 and a 3953.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3953 6946 and mags.jpg (75.2 KB, 193 views)

Will work for ammo.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:45 AM   #36
yorec

Hmmm.... A 4th gen GVE? I may have to go shoppin' for the wife's b-day come summer.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:50 AM   #37
Hawgleg44

There's an article on the GVE's in the May 2005 Combat Handguns. In fact, it's on the cover.

Will work for ammo.
Old February 7, 2005, 03:24 PM   #38
denfoote

Lordy Jezzzzus, Hawg!!!
Them's a lot 'o mags!!
I do notice that the EVIL USA mag is still in it's wrapper??
What happened to them anyway??
They seem to have faded away!!
Not that their product was anything to write home about anyway!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old February 7, 2005, 03:54 PM   #39
Hawgleg44

I've had mixed results with USA brand mags. The AWB killed that company, but it wouldn't surprise me if they resurfaced again.

In a Glock 19 (back when I didn't know any better and owned them), I had 7 USA mags for it and they worked just as well as factory mags. Also, my father's Ruger P85 feeds flawlessly using the SS USA mags, too. But, I bought a few for a Beretta 92FS I used to own and had to pry them out of the magwell. I've found that 80% of the USA mags for the AR work fine. I bought 40-something of them, all NIW, from a guy on Gunboards.com a few years ago for $120. The ones that didn't work, I just threw out for that price. I still came out way ahead.

Now, I just need to get some more mags for my 4506. Believe it or not, I only have ONE for that!

Will work for ammo.
Old February 8, 2005, 01:08 PM   #40
carguyjohn350

There's an article on the GVE's in the May 2005 Combat Handguns. In fact, it's on the cover.

Hawgleg, I went to http://www.combathandguns.com and found the February 2005 issue. How can I get a May '05 issue so fast?

Also...thanks for the earlier clarification. The GVE seems like it mght be the best way to go. I still have some time to decide. I will probably buy in May, after graduation.
Old February 8, 2005, 01:11 PM   #41
Hawgleg44

I picked my copy up last week at a news stand. Magazines always come out very early. Kind of like new car models! This summer, you'll be able to buy a 2006 (or at least you could if you had more money than me).

Will work for ammo.
Old July 7, 2005, 04:00 PM   #42
The Stook

Just wanted to add that i wish i had pictures of my SW40VE. I LOVE this hand gun. So inexpensive but suuuuch a good shooter. I have pumped far too much ammo through mine, and done a lil bit of modding. I changed the striker spring to a lighter wolff spring. It helped lighten the trigger pull a bit and hasnt changed functionality one bit.

Ill try to add pics someday soon.
Old December 5, 2022, 12:56 AM   #43
Miami_JBT

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead for a reason.

I think this thread needs to be revived since this is a picture thread about S&W Sigmas.

Hawgleg44 started this thread and he was proud of his Sigmas.

Hawgleg44, that was a nice collection of guns and mags back in '05. The Clinton Assault Weapons Ban just sunseted and sadly Massachusetts just made the provisions of that ban permanent. So, I understand why you were proud of having your Sigmas and their pre-ban mags.

Heck, to this day, original S&W Sigma mags are pre-ban in Massachusetts.

Anyways, I just got this S&W Model SW9F on Gunbroker for under $300 at the end of November 2022.

I've been a GLOCK guy my entire life for striker fired guns, but recently, I've had an itch for something nostalgic and the SW9F scratches that itch perfectly. It will go nicely with my HK VP70Z, IM Metal HS2000, and GLOCK P80 reproduction Generation 1 Model 17.

I also have a SD9VE enroute to me too and when I get it, I'll post it here too.
Old December 8, 2022, 05:46 PM   #44
Miami_JBT

The SW9F shoots fine. I did some accuracy drills on the head and small top left target, then went and did two and three shot rapid fire self-defense drills. Took a few tries to get used to the longer reset, but it is pretty much like shooting a spongy DA revolver trigger.

I had the RSO shoot it too. He's younger than the gun. He had a tricked out G19X with all the modern features. He was surprised at the trigger being what it was, but even he said, it wasn't bad.
Old January 10, 2023, 03:59 AM   #45
Miami_JBT

Old January 10, 2023, 07:24 AM   #46
CajunBass

Thanks for reviving this one. I THINK I had one of those, many years ago, or at least it looks like one I had way back when. Mine was the solid black "Allied Forces" model, I think it was called. Anyway, I remember that round trigger guard, with the traction grooves on it. I know when I got it, "everyone" told me it was a POS, which was pretty normal for stuff I bought, especially back then. (Edited to add: Nope. Mine was an SW9VE "allied forces" a later model)

I never had a problem with that gun, except for the first box of ammo I fired, and those were the very first 9mm reloads I ever did, and I knew I had loaded them on the light side, being cautious. After bumping the load up a bit, they ran like a watch and so did the gun. The trigger wasn't great, but then I'm an old revolver shooter, so I didn't think it was that bad. I kept that gun for a while, but then sold it to a guy I knew who was starting a security job, and needed a gun for cheap. He seemed happy with it.

I've had a couple of SD9VE's over the years and liked them too. They sort of come and go as the mood hits me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; January 10, 2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old January 10, 2023, 02:06 PM   #47
Miami_JBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Thanks for reviving this one. I THINK I had one of those, many years ago, or at least it looks like one I had way back when. Mine was the solid black "Allied Forces" model, I think it was called. Anyway, I remember that round trigger guard, with the traction grooves on it. I know when I got it, "everyone" told me it was a POS, which was pretty normal for stuff I bought, especially back then. (Edited to add: Nope. Mine was an SW9VE "allied forces" a later model)

I never had a problem with that gun, except for the first box of ammo I fired, and those were the very first 9mm reloads I ever did, and I knew I had loaded them on the light side, being cautious. After bumping the load up a bit, they ran like a watch and so did the gun. The trigger wasn't great, but then I'm an old revolver shooter, so I didn't think it was that bad. I kept that gun for a while, but then sold it to a guy I knew who was starting a security job, and needed a gun for cheap. He seemed happy with it.

I've had a couple of SD9VE's over the years and liked them too. They sort of come and go as the mood hits me.
Like I said, I've been a GLOCK guy through and through. But I had a nostalgic itch that needed to be scratched. In the past, I shot a few SW40VEs and didn't like 'em. But this first production SW9F is a heck of a shooter. Thr trigger is not bad by any means. It is more like a DAO Revolver and I have no problem shooting those.

Thr SD9VE is not bad at all, especially for being a sub $300 pistol.

All in all, I'm enjoying them.
Old January 10, 2023, 03:27 PM   #48
wild cat mccane

Every time. I think how lazy FN was when they made the FN9. Couldn't be a more direct look.
Old January 10, 2023, 05:03 PM   #49
Miami_JBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Every time. I think how lazy FN was when they made the FN9. Couldn't be a more direct look.
Yeah, the Forty-Nine was basically a more expensive Sigma.... that was worse.
Old January 26, 2023, 05:54 PM   #50
Miami_JBT