The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 17, 2022, 05:00 PM   #1
tangolima

Muzzle brake on AR15

I'm not a big fan of muzzle brake because of the loud noise. But I can see the point for hard recoiling calibers. Or I don't see the point on an AR shooting .223. There is little recoil to talk about, and the in-line design of the rifle has minimal muzzle rise.

My AR comes with a brake / compensator. The silly state regulation made the previous owner replaced the flash hider with such a muzzle device. It only has cuts on top, so that it compensates muzzle rise. However I found my POA actually drop below the target after shot, it has become counterproductive. I thought about putting a faux bird cage on the muzzle. But I don't like the all aluminum product I have found. Any other options I should consider?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 17, 2022, 05:22 PM   #2
44caliberkid

Don’t run anything, just screw on a thread protector.
Old September 17, 2022, 08:26 PM   #3
zeke

Or just a normal flash hider. Have muzzle breaks on my 308s mainly to be able to see bullet impact at distance.
Old September 17, 2022, 09:33 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

linear compensator, like kaw valley. They provide a little/mild recoil reduction and help to push the blast away from the shooter but do not reduce noise over all. Friend turned me on the them. have bought several now. less muzzle blast than a A2, much better than a traditional brake or comp for blast. they have several styles and sizes.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw...ear223-blk.htm
Old September 17, 2022, 09:50 PM   #5
ChimpMunk20

Hard to beat the basic A2 or A1. Keep in mind the A1 has slots around the entire circumference as compared to the A2 having a solid bottom if clocked as intended.
Old September 17, 2022, 10:48 PM   #6
tangolima

Linear compensator may be a good option. It increases recoil as it pushes gas forward to reduce report.

Can't do flash hider of any sort as they are evil. A fake flash hider (thread protector) is ok.

I'm going to try putting the butt stock higher so that its top is above the top of my shoulder. That way the rifle's recoil force creates more torque to raise the muzzle more for the muzzle device to compensate. The objective is to have the POA back on target after shot.

-TL

Old September 17, 2022, 10:57 PM   #7
Nathan

I would run the Miculek brake. It keeps the muzzle on target without too much noise…or a thread protector.
Old September 18, 2022, 08:01 AM   #8
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I would run the Miculek brake. It keeps the muzzle on target without too much noise…or a thread protector.
Completely agree here. I run a Miculek comp on one of my carbines and the sights don’t move, shot to shot. One of the best AR accessories I’ve ever tried. Thought about recommending it in my first post.
Old September 18, 2022, 12:16 PM   #9
tangolima

Looks like it has the right amount (very little) of upward gas. Worth trying. Thanks.

-TL

Old September 21, 2022, 08:07 PM   #10
zukiphile

Quote:
Don’t run anything, just screw on a thread protector.
Of the options open to TL, that's the one I prefer.

If the concern is getting the muzzle back on target quickly, a low mass carrier, weightless buffer, reduced power buffer spring and tuned gas block can do wonders.

I sort of hate brakes. The concussion is obnoxious.

Last edited by zukiphile; September 22, 2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old September 21, 2022, 10:58 PM   #11
tangolima

I probably will slap a cheap linear compensator on it. It is sort of a thread protector. It also make the report a bit quieter.

-TL

Old September 22, 2022, 09:17 PM   #12
Logs

I put this on my 308 AR and it helps a ton.

Old September 23, 2022, 10:38 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Any other options I should consider?
You might consider learning a different "hold" to compensate. The downside is that if you figure out how much more "up" force you need it will be specific to that gun but your body will try and apply it to every gun.

This is about the opposite of the "tommy gun climb".

Best thing I can think of is to remove the muzzle device and replace it with something else that doesn't push down
Old September 23, 2022, 03:54 PM   #14
Scorch

I put cheap linear compensators on my ARs just to keep the noise down. You don't need a big brake on an AR anyway. If you're trying to tame muzzle flash, something like the Precision Armaments AFAB will knock down muzzle flash to just about nothing.
Old September 23, 2022, 04:19 PM   #15
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I put cheap linear compensators on my ARs just to keep the noise down. You don't need a big brake on an AR anyway. If you're trying to tame muzzle flash, something like the Precision Armaments AFAB will knock down muzzle flash to just about nothing.
I concur. I can't understand why everyone puts a brake on AR. We have turned into a bunch of sis boys?

-TL

Old September 23, 2022, 07:43 PM   #16
Nathan

Quote:
I concur. I can't understand why everyone puts a brake on AR. We have turned into a bunch of sis boys?
It is called speed. We have shot timers in the modern world. Muzzle brakes can greatly improve shot to shot times. Putting something less effective in place to show toughness is just slow. The opponent is getting faster. What do you(all of us) want to be.

Last edited by Nathan; September 24, 2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 23, 2022, 08:13 PM   #17
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It is called speed. We have shot timers in the modern world. Muzzle brakes can greatly improve shot to shot times. Putting something less effective in place to show toughness is just slow. The enemy is getting faster. What do you(all of us) want to be.
If they (people I know) do that sort of shooting, I can see the point. They don't.

When they do, they enjoy the speed they burn through the magazine. How much they hit the target is secondary.

Hard to see .223 has much to inspire toughness.

Enemy?

-TL

Old September 24, 2022, 12:26 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Enemy?
In the world of speed games and shot timers, I suppose everyone you are competing against would be the "enemy".

Or sometimes the enemy is just the clock itself, and your own personal performance.
Old September 24, 2022, 11:52 PM   #19
Nathan

I changed my wording…..let’s go with opponent….then we can include shooting sports. I was more focused on “would be attackers”, but I can see the value of the ar15 as a shooting sports tool also.
Old September 25, 2022, 01:26 PM   #20
Geezerbiker

I put a cheap muzzle brake on my AR15 for the silly reason to make it long enough to rest against the top rack in my gun safe. Didn't work and I still have to put a chunk of 2x4 under the butt stock so it won't tip over...

Tony
Old September 26, 2022, 11:40 AM   #21
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
I still have to put a chunk of 2x4 under the butt stock so it won't tip over...

Tony
Make the space more efficiently used by using a document safe or ammo can perhaps instead of wood.
Old September 26, 2022, 10:41 PM   #22
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
You might consider learning a different "hold" to compensate. The downside is that if you figure out how much more "up" force you need it will be specific to that gun but your body will try and apply it to every gun.

This is about the opposite of the "tommy gun climb".

Best thing I can think of is to remove the muzzle device and replace it with something else that doesn't push down
Tried shouldering the stock higher. It didn't help much. The muzzle was still about 10 to 12 moa below bullseye after each shot. Ordered a $20 linear compensator. Will see.

The current compensator has 3 port holes pointing up, none pointing down. I probably need only one. It is not a brake in normal sense as none of the port holes is sweeping back.

-TL

Old September 27, 2022, 11:02 AM   #23
zeke

Have muzzle breaks on several AR's specially to accept a muzzle accessory, and extend the life of said accessory.

Have one with same muzzle break specifically to limit muzzle rise and recoil, while staying on target from bipod. It does so effectively without any wholes on top, while also limiting recoil.

The rest of em have standard flash hiders.

For the purposes i use them for, would not have a compensator that specifically pushes the muzzle down upon firing. It would be counterintuitive to every thing else am used to.

If you can't have a flash hider, would look to a muzzle brake, not a compensator.

The following link describes their definitions/comparisons between brakes and compensators. For the benefit of us who occasionally use the terms interchangeably.

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog...or-your-rifle/
Old September 28, 2022, 01:56 PM   #24
kymasabe

I run a knurled thread protector on my main AR, it doesn't extend past the end of the barrel. I have no need for a brake or flash suppression on that gun.
Old September 29, 2022, 09:39 AM   #25
tangolima

Got a $20 linear compensator. Installed it last night. Will try shooting it this Friday.

Had a chance to take a closer look at the brake / compensator that I took off. It is a modified A2 bird cage flash hider. The front is closed up to have a smaller exit hole. Doing so gas is trapped and forced to exit through the upward port holes, and hence the over compensation. Using a step bit, I enlarged the hole. It is still not like fully open as in the original flash hider, which is verboten by the state law. I will put it back on to see how it works.

This has become a tinkering project.

The muzzle has caked up with carbon residue. Next time I change out the muzzle device, I will take a closer look at the crown. I may tinker to polish or even recut the crown.

-TL