The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 14, 2022, 05:29 PM   #1
TruthTellers

What are the most affordable big bore antique cartridge revolvers?

By big bore I'm talking .41 and up and by antique I mean pre 1900. Asking because Mike Belivue's video today on antique guns for self defense has me thinking and currently the biggest caliber that is affordable would be a .38. No sure how much the Colt 1892's go for now, I remember a few years back they were around 600. Seems anything bigger than .38 and you have to pay thousands to get.

Last edited by TruthTellers; April 14, 2022 at 06:21 PM.
Old April 14, 2022, 06:16 PM   #2
gwpercle

I live in the state of Louisiana and here the laws that govern true antiques are the same as for modern reproductions of those guns . Over the past few years I have ordered 3 revolvers from Dixie Gun Works . All black powder cap and ball reproductions of :
1851- 36 cal. Navy Colt (Pietta mfg.) $350 . 1862 - 36 cal , Colt Pocket Navy (Uberti mfg.) $420 and a 1858 - 44 cal. , Remington New Model Army (Uberti mfg) $399 .
These are new revolvers made just like the old ones , they use black powder, percussion caps and round lead ball loads ... all loose and not contained in a cartridge .
The UPS man delivered them to my door and they were not subject to going through a FFL transfer .
Now this was in Louisiana ... your state my have different laws ...

Check out all the different cap & ball blackpowder reproductions they have at www.dixiegunworks.com they are also a Hoot to Shoot !
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; April 14, 2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 14, 2022, 06:22 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Probably should have specified I was talking about cartridge firing antiques, not percussion.
Old April 14, 2022, 06:36 PM   #4
gwpercle

Taylor Firearms Pietta 1858 Remington Conversion Cylinder .
Converts cap and ball to 45 Colt cartridge firing ...
It's not considered a firearm ... just a cylinder . $250

www.taylorsfirearms.com

Note ... if you order the 1858 Remington Pietta repro and the Conversion cylinder at the same time from Taylors ... they will fit and time the cylinder to the revolver before shipping at no charge ... that's a good deal , fitting and timing is important on a big bore revolver .
Check out Taylor's ...their cartridge conversion cylinders are good and you keep the cap & ball cylinder in case you want to use it old school .

Clint Eastwood does a fast reload with a pre-loaded conversion cylinder in the big shoot out scene , he removes the empty cylinder and drops in a pre loaded conversion cylinder ...precursor to the "Speed Loader" !
Looked cool in the movie .
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; April 14, 2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old April 14, 2022, 06:51 PM   #5
ligonierbill

See what you can find in .41 Long Colt.
Old April 15, 2022, 07:15 PM   #6
Hawg

Any brand name in good shape is going to be north of 1000.00. The 1890 Remington will probably be the cheapest.
Old April 16, 2022, 12:51 AM   #7
TruthTellers

As I think it over, there really is no one perfect gun that could be bought and not cost a lot. So, I think the solution is two guns: a top break in .32 or .38 from Iver or H&R and a .45 Colt conversion in a short barrel 1858 NMA repro. Still gonna cost way more than a grand for both, but you can but the top break, NMA, and conversion cylinder separately over time.
Old April 16, 2022, 04:11 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Correct answer is a conversion cylinder.

I met a fellow who converted percussion to center-fire before kits were available.
Old April 16, 2022, 06:49 PM   #9
Scorch

First realize that old guns are fragile and can easily break, and few parts are available to repairthem. Your choice of the Colt 1892 New Army/Navy revolver is a case in point, parts are not available. Also, consider that the 38 Colt is not the same as 38 Special, it is a totally different cartridge and a box of 38 Colt costs several times what 38 Specials cost. Quit trying to sneak around the rules, just buy a good quality firearm for self-defense. I mean. the Colt New Army/Navy wasn't a good gun 130 years ago, and it hasn't gotten any better with age, so why would you trust it?
Old April 17, 2022, 09:48 AM   #10
Jim Watson

Quote:
By big bore I'm talking .41 and up and by antique I mean pre 1900.
By "antique" the BATF means pre-1899.

A Smith & Wesson .44 Double Action is probably the least expensive name brand revolver that meets that definition.

A second line .32 or .38 would be a LOT cheaper but if an antique, you would be getting into the "rated for smokeless" debate.

A cap and ball revolver and a cartridge cylinder can be purchased separately but once assembled into a functioning breechloader, you might have a hard time explaining to the judge how it was ok to have along in a prohibited place or by a prohibited person.
But maybe you have another reason to want an "antique."
Old April 18, 2022, 11:16 AM   #11
bladesmith 1

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the 45 Colt, or as it's referred to today - 45 long Colt. There were many different manufactures that made handguns chambered for the 45 Colt back then and now.
Old April 20, 2022, 08:17 PM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith 1 View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the 45 Colt, or as it's referred to today - 45 long Colt. There were many different manufactures that made handguns chambered for the 45 Colt back then and now.
Because an antique .45 Colt would cost a lot.
Old April 20, 2022, 11:50 PM   #13
BillM

A quality pre 1899 big bore revolver is going to cost some
bucks. Belgium made a pile of revolvers in various 44
calibers--if you can find a solid one they are cheap. Not
something you would want to put hundreds of rounds through,
and definitely a black powder handload situation.
Old April 21, 2022, 10:58 AM   #14
bladesmith 1

Thuthteller, maybe you'd try reading my post. I said many manufacturers made pistols for the 45 Colt cartridge. You don't have to shoot a Colt. I just recently bought a 45 Remington " Outlaw " reproduction for well under a grand. Nice case coloring and nice bluing. It's for sale now at my local gun dealer for somewhere around 650 with only about 10 shots through it.

Last edited by bladesmith 1; April 21, 2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old April 21, 2022, 01:37 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

What?! Only ten rounds and you're done with it? Instant buyer's remorse? There must be more to the story..
Old April 21, 2022, 03:01 PM   #16
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Do you ever actually follow up and buy anything? I see you posting for advice all the time, cannot recall seeing you actually buying anything.

Yup, forget the Colt 1892, it was not a great revolver.

Forget 41 Long Colt too, it has not been manufactured for eons.

The S&W 44 Double Action was mentioned. Here are a couple. The one at the top is a target model with windage adjustable rear sight and target front sight. It left the factory in 1895. The one at the bottom is a standard model that was refinished sometime in the past. The front sight on that one has been replaced with an old coin. It shipped in 1881. Both of these are chambered for 44 Russian which is commercially manufactured today, but I have no idea where you would find any today. This model was also chambered for 44-40, and a very few were chambered for 38-40. I paid $950 for the target model and $795 for the blued one a bunch of years ago. Good luck finding one today.

I DO NOT recommend firing these with Smokeless powder, I only fire them with my Black Powder hand loads.

I bought this EuroArms 44 caliber 1858 Remington way back in 1975. Have no idea what I paid for it back then. About 20 years ago I bought a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for it from Taylors. Probably paid about $180 for the cylinder at the time. I highly recommend Taylors, they fitted the cylinder to my old Remmie FREE OF CHARGE. No idea if they are still doing that.

I just checked Taylors website. You can get a Remington 1858 for $432.05 and a conversion cylinder chambered for 45 Colt for $256.47, which would bring the total to $688.52. DO NOT BUY A BRASS FRAMED 1858, AND MAKE SURE THE CYLINDER IS FOR 45 COLT, NOT 44 COLT.

If they offer to fit the cylinder to the revolver, take them up on it.
Old April 23, 2022, 03:25 AM   #17
TruthTellers

Driftwood, I made this thread after seeing duelist1954's video on antique revolvers for self defense. He made a big deal about affordability and because the big bores like the top break S&W you have (very nice btw, love that target model) are quite pricey.

The Remington 1875 and 1890 may be an option, I'd have to check prices on those. The European .44's like what was used in the Bulldog revolvers of the day... they may be big bore, but they're not that much better than a .38 S&W topbreak.

I should check to see what they're going for and how the quality is on those.
Old April 23, 2022, 01:51 PM   #18
bladesmith 1

Pathfinder, I was getting too many pistols and still wanted some others that tickled my fancy. That, and the gun was too big and heavy [ for me ] to carry. I should have known that before I ordered it seeing how I have a NMA I did a little work on. 3.5" barrel, Birdshead grip, and conversion cylinder. Even that gun is a bit heavy but not too bad. So I pick up a Judge and a Taylors Cattlemen with a 3.5" barrel and Birdshead grip in 357. Boy is it a sweet looking gun. A 1791 holster made for a 3" Judge fits both - the Cattlemen a little tight and the Judge with a couple of inches of barrel sticking out.