The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 20, 2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Carmike

Henry single shots?

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone has handled one of these guns, or shot it, or has any experience with them.

I've been looking and hoping for a Ruger No. 1 for some time, but the price always keeps me away. I just discovered Henry's line of single shot rifles, and I've been considering a .243 and/or 45-70. There's not much online re: these guns, but I'm happy with my other Henrys (a .22 lever and 44 lever), so I'm strongly considering picking one up.

Carmike
Old June 20, 2018, 11:20 PM   #2
Model12Win

You posted this in the wrong board, might get more replies in the "general rifle" board which covers the single shots.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Carmike

Ah, fair point.

Can one of the mods just ship it over there?
Old June 21, 2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
I've been looking and hoping for a Ruger No. 1 for some time, but the price always keeps me away.
The Henry and the Ruger #1 are light years apart as far as quality and shootability. The Ruger is finely made falling block rifle in the tradition of old hunting and target rifles from the 1880s to the early 1900s, with beautiful checkered wood and finely polished and blued metal. The Henry is essentially the same rifle as the H&R Topper rifles, a cheaply made break-action single shot, with cheap wood, rough finish, and an exposed hammer and a terrible trigger. While they might shoot acceptably well, they will in no way give you the satisfaction and traditional feel of a Winchester High Wall or a Remington Rolling Block. I always tell my customers that if they spend a little more they get a nice gun.
Old June 21, 2018, 08:26 PM   #5
briandg

Ugly and I don't see how you would be happy with that when what you want is a ruger 1 unless all you care about is that it is a single shot.

Henry makes pretty good lever guns, they have the capability of creating a pretty good falling block. They could even create a rolling block, these two designs are going to be pretty simple actions with hammers. that is a thing that could have had a market.

I think that they would also be capable of a decent side by side shotgun for the coach gun market or other retro market. There are plenty of designs available and the actions can't be too hard to manufacture, simple hammer designs.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:32 PM   #6
hammie

I'm not sure that the original poster's question has been answered. If the pictures are to be believed, the Henry does not have cheap wood and the manufacturing quality appears to be in a different league than the H&R/NEF break opens. I've been considering a henry single shot myself, chambered for .44 mag as a knock about rifle, but I've yet to see one on the shelf. That's why it would be helpful to get an opinion from someone who has actually handled and inspected one of the henry single shots.

I wouldn't totally knock the old toppers. In college, I hunted with an H&R topper because that was all I could afford, and I felt lucky to have even that. Although it wasn't a Perazzi, it worked fine. A box of shells lasted a long time. The only downside was the extremely positive ejection. When the gun was opened, you wanted to keep out of the line of ejection, because I think the hull was ejected at about the same velocity as the shot.

Last edited by hammie; June 21, 2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Carmike

Well, yes, I do want a Ruger No. 1, but I also want a supermodel girlfriend, a BMW i8, a $100,000 fiberglass walleye boat, and extensive property (both near where I live and out west) for hunting, fishing, and general tomfoolery. But I don't imagine I'll get all those things, and I try to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I'm far from an expert on these matters, but I do (at least begin to) understand the differences between a Ruger No. 1 and the new Henry....I wouldn't expect a gun that's 1/5 the price to be comparable in all (or most, or many) ways to its more expensive "counterpart."

I was just curious if anyone has held them/shot them.
Old June 22, 2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Areoflyer09

I’ve held one. It felt like a Henry. Quality walnut stocks, no rough edges. Didn’t try the trigger.

I enjoy Henry rifles and would have no qualms about buying one.
Old June 22, 2018, 11:19 AM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Henry singles are far above the old H&Rs.
They definitely do not use cheap wood.
Denis
Old June 24, 2018, 06:55 AM   #10
Tony Z

I also handled one, brass receiver and absolutely beautiful wood. Wood to metal fit was excellent. This was at Grices's in Clearfield last fall. The gun was (IIRC) a .243 or similar caliber, and I would have bought it on the spot, except it just came in, and was already spoken for. I was only allowed to hold the gun but not try the trigger. I'm not positive, but unlike the Henry rimfires, the centerfire receivers are solud brass. The rifle very much had a quality feel to it and I would not hesitate to buy one.

I have a Ruger Model 1 in .45-70 and these are two different guns, with a place for each. The Henry is also less than half the cost of the Ruger.
Old June 24, 2018, 10:16 AM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

The material used in the brass Henry centerfires is a solid brass alloy, not a receiver cover like the rimfires.
Denis
Old June 24, 2018, 10:17 PM   #12
macsr01

I got to put hands on one of these the other day, wood is of good quality and like was already said, far above the quality of the old H&R’s. I liked it enough I ordered one in .308. I like single shot rifles and I think this will be just what I’ve been looking for.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:21 AM   #13
Ledslnger

I just wish they would offer them in additional calibers like Ruger does. One in 257 Bob, 218 Bee, 221 Fireball, 222, 222 Magnum, etc. Even in low numbers it would be awesome.
Old June 28, 2018, 10:07 PM   #14
Carmike

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I just like the deliberateness of single shots when at the range, and since my deer stands are sitting in places where I can't see more than 100 yards, I neither need a big boomer or (usually) more than one shot. Plus, something about the simplicity appeals to me.

Either way, a Henry single-shot might scratch the itch...or start the habit...regarding single shots. We might just see.
Old June 29, 2018, 06:36 AM   #15
Mobuck

"I just like the deliberateness of single shots when at the range,"

You do understand that a break action requires "re-seating" the rifle on the bags for every shot?
FWIW
A break action rifle is about the clumsiest bench rifle imaginable(second only to a muzzle loader).