The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 25, 2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Woodsbum

Help me decide,223 budget bolt gun.

I need a 223 bolt action and have to decide between a used savage axis with bushnell scope for$199,or a tc compass for $250 after rebate.It will be used mostly for informal range use and woods carrying.I think the savage might be a half pound lighter .I would appreciate any input,in my experience the compass are very accurate.
Old April 25, 2018, 07:53 PM   #2
sparkyv

The Savage Axis is also a goid shooter with an excellent trigger. $199 including a scope? That rounds like a good deal if it's in good shape.
Old April 26, 2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Woodsbum

Yea I'm leaning toward the savage,but I have two compass s and they shoot.
Old April 26, 2018, 10:10 AM   #4
schotzfyred

My T/C Compass .223 is more than I expected.
I fired the first four rounds at 50 yards, and while the group was just barely on the 8 1/2 x 11 target, it measured .552".
After adjusting the no name scope that came in the deal from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, the second group measured .306", third group .356, and the fourth group was in the 10 ring and measured .382".
I was not using premium ammo.
I used my first ever hand loaded .223 Remington consisting of:
Once fired Lake City 5.56 cases.
Bulk Hornady 55 gr soft point bullets
H4895 powder
CCI 400 primers

Not bad for the first outing with the Compass.
schotzfyred is online now Report Post
Old April 26, 2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Woodsbum

Wow, that's what I thought they shot,I was just getting ready to get the savage but I better wait and see,thanks for the info.
Old April 26, 2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Woodsbum

I would like to know about heavier bullets too. The barrel s are 1/9.
Old April 26, 2018, 12:03 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

An Axis is an entry level hunting rifle. No adjustable trigger, but does have a detachable 4 round mag. Weighs 6.5 lbs. without the scope.
A Compass is also an entry level hunting rifle. Doesn't come with sights, but holds 5 in the mag. Scoping it will cost at least as much as the rifle at $250. Mind you, it won't be much of a scope for that money. Weighs 3/4 of a pound more without the scope.
Based on the money only, I'd be thinking Savage. 1 in 9 is ok for heavier bullets, but not the really heavy stuff available now. Up to 77 grains will do nicely.
Old April 26, 2018, 02:51 PM   #8
schotzfyred

Got this from another forum...just passing it along..These figures are based on 3000 FPS

1:12 twist will go about 180,000 RPM so it will require a bullet from 42 to 55 GR. 48 grains is an average. this is a good bullet weight to start out with.

1:9 240,000 rpm will reguire a bullet 55 to 72 average 63 gr.*
* 55 gr is where I started...I just need to shoot more with the .223 before, if at all I change. I just punch paper.

1:8 270,000 rpm - bullet from 60 to 78 average 67 gr

1:7 308,000 rpm - bullet from 62 to 85 average 70 gr

John "Duke" Wayne
Old April 26, 2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Woodsbum

The big sticking point is the threaded barrel. I think it's something I would really use,but I also need a light gun to help my old knees.How are the savage plain triggers?
Old April 26, 2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Woodsbum

I called the dealer they still have the savage,but at $199 I don't think it's going to last very long,I better decide by tomorrow.
Old April 26, 2018, 03:47 PM   #11
black_hog_down

Howa makes a nice bargain rifle.
Made in Japan by a company that has been making rifles since WWII.
A really nice rifle that is often overlooked.
They have a 20" barrel 223 that comes with adjustable trigger. Available in light, medium, or heavy barrel contour.
https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...a-mini-action/
Old April 26, 2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Scorch

Forget the Savage. Get a Ruger American and be done.
Old May 7, 2018, 08:38 AM   #13
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzfyred View Post
Got this from another forum...just passing it along..These figures are based on 3000 FPS

1:12 twist will go about 180,000 RPM so it will require a bullet from 42 to 55 GR. 48 grains is an average. this is a good bullet weight to start out with.

1:9 240,000 rpm will reguire a bullet 55 to 72 average 63 gr.*
* 55 gr is where I started...I just need to shoot more with the .223 before, if at all I change. I just punch paper.

1:8 270,000 rpm - bullet from 60 to 78 average 67 gr

1:7 308,000 rpm - bullet from 62 to 85 average 70 gr
Charts are nice and all but my 1:9" .223 shoots 69-75gr bullets best at my elevation. I have a hard time with 55gr and below.

Maybe my barrel was mis-twisted which is surprising given it was sold as a predator rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2018, 07:27 PM   #14
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
The Savage Axis is also a goid shooter with an excellent trigger. $199 including a scope? That rounds like a good deal if it's in good shape.
What's a "goid shooter"? Silly, me.
Old May 9, 2018, 03:06 AM   #15
gshayd

T/C Compass $299.00

5R Rifling
Free-Floated Barrel
Weaver-Style Bases
60° Bolt Lift for Scope Clearance
3-Position Safety with Bolt Lock
Effective Recoil Pad
Positive, Single-Stage Trigger
Detachable Rotary Box Magazine
Pillar Bedded Action
Old May 9, 2018, 06:12 AM   #16
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsbum View Post
I need a 223 bolt action and have to decide between a used savage axis with bushnell scope for$199,or a tc compass for $250 after rebate.It will be used mostly for informal range use and woods carrying.I think the savage might be a half pound lighter .I would appreciate any input,in my experience the compass are very accurate.
I would be careful with any late model modern used savage. They do produce the occasional lemon. I could say the same for anyone. It maybe due to popularity but seems like ruger and savage lead the pack on production snafus.

Some people shoot massive quantities of 223 ammo in their rifles. Another variable with a used gun that fires dirt cheap ammo.

If both guns were new, it would seem a better question to compare the two. I would go TC in this specific case and not get into pimping my favorite.

I believe at one time TC had a 1moa accuracy guarantee. Is that still true or for the compass?

Only having $200 for a rifle, suggests the OP does not have an extra $100 or $200 for ammo testing. Any way you figure it, getting a bad gun can be costly.

Last edited by fourbore; May 9, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old May 9, 2018, 06:23 AM   #17
agtman

Quote:
I called the dealer they still have the savage,but at $199 I don't think it's going to last very long,I better decide by tomorrow.
What's wrong with Mossberg's .223?

I forget the name of the specific model (Mossy experts will know: MVP?/Patrol?/Scout?), but as I recall it's gotten positive reviews.

It's decently accurate, light-weight, and accepts standard AR mags.
Old May 9, 2018, 06:31 AM   #18
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshayd View Post
T/C Compass $299.00

5R Rifling
Free-Floated Barrel
Weaver-Style Bases
60° Bolt Lift for Scope Clearance
3-Position Safety with Bolt Lock
Effective Recoil Pad
Positive, Single-Stage Trigger
Detachable Rotary Box Magazine
Pillar Bedded Action
Sounds good, yes. I was surprised to examine a TC and note how similar it was to the Ruger American. It was as-if the bolts would interchange! I was wondering if Ruger was actually building the TC or someone might be on the verge of a patent infringement. No on both counts.

Me things, bedding blocks (pillars) are the big plus to getting the most accuracy for least cost on an econ plastic stock gun. Probably wood too if the industry was so inclined.

Excuse the OT ramble. Back to pimping
Old June 3, 2018, 06:33 AM   #19
Bfglowkey

Mossberg MVP line has a couple decent shooting .223/5.56 but can ramp up in price quickly. I picked up a MVP LC for my daughter and she loves the thing. Axis entry without the Accutrigger is a nice rifle but the old trigger is what some may call "Abysmal". In the 7lb range abysmal. There is a guy selling a trigger mod kit ( spring replacement and instructions etc for like $9.99 or something like that. Plenty of videos online from fun fella's like the Social Regressive, showing how to do the mod on your own. T/C Compass's felt decent in the hand and the bolt is a hidden gem in smoothness category. Threaded barrel is a bonus for such a entry level rifle. The barrel is just so thin to me and the stock suffers the same flimsy issue as many of the others ( Savage Axis, Rueger American etc ) but with a little work you can stretch its use by hand shaving a little here and there. A small bump in price point and the Savage 12 FV from Cabela's is a monster of a deal but if you do not want a 26" barrel to lug then stay away. Accutrigger is pretty good and sets down below 2lbs. Also it is an internal mag which people love and hate if your hiking to hunt. If you are setting up shop on your land to play whack a mole or coyote ugly it is a true gem ( very fun at the range as well ) The Rueger Predator line brings the price point up a bit more but also gives you a slightly heavier barrel then the American base line, threads your barrel and honestly the el cheapo stock with those bedding blocks is a pretty ingenious set up for getting the longest use out of the factory setup. Trigger adjustment is decent and you can bring it down to 3lbs. I think biggest complaint is the "zip" sound the bolt makes in the early stages of its life...I sort of like it but my daughter hated it.
Old June 3, 2018, 07:21 AM   #20
std7mag

Another vote for the Savage. Actually i'm surprised it's still at the shop.
Had i run accross it, it wouldn't be.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 3, 2018, 02:09 PM   #21
Woodsbum

I ended up with the t/c compass,that makes 3 for me.I was rewarded with a.3 three shot group at 50 yes with ultramax 55gr soft pt .
Old June 3, 2018, 03:59 PM   #22
Mr.RevolverGuy

I would go with a heavy barrel Howa. 1/9 twist and mine shoots 52gr, 60grvmax and 68/69gr pills through one hole.