The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2018, 08:56 PM   #1
Prof Young

Formulas for Plated bullets in 380 . . . ?

Loaders:
So I'm having trouble finding formulas for berry's plated in 380 - 100 gr. Nothing specific in my Lee book or my Lyman book. Handloads.com not coming through either. I've read you can use the lead formulas for plated but can't find those either. Usually I "adjust" the FMJ formulas and seem to be doing okay so far.

Suggestions welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 28, 2018, 10:02 PM   #2
kmw1954

What I've used to date for a 100gr RN.

Hodgdon HP-38, 2.9 and 3.0gr @ 0.960" OAL, Function was good accuracy was so-so.
AA#5, 4.2 to 4.5gr., max is 5.0gr @ 0.960" OAL, Again function was good and accuracy was better.
Ramshot Silhouette, 3.7gr to 4.2gr,. max is 4.4grgr,. This was the best load in my gun.

Western lists all sorts of load data for 100gr plated bullets. Go look at it.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:00 AM   #3
Marco Califo

Berrys Load Data Link

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ5
"You can use any published data as long as it is the same weight (FMJ, Lead, Plated, etc.)
-Standard Plate Bullets max velocity- 1,250 fps."

No need to over think this. It is not nearly as complicated or precise as some people seem to want.
Old May 29, 2018, 01:32 PM   #4
AL45

3.1 grains Bullseye, Winchester primers, 100 grain Berry plated hollow base bullets .980 O.A.L.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:14 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I back down a bit from jacketed data, if I can't find data for plated bullets.
For .380 and Berry's bullets...

I run: 100 gr HBRN, 0.970" COAL, 3.9 gr Unique.
But, of course, start low and work up.

That load was developed with published data, and in a Taurus PT-138. Subsequent .380s have complained that it's a very hot load. ...Still under published max (4.1 gr), but perceived as very hot by the shooters, cycling the pistols as though it's a bit too peppy, and crossing a chronograph faster than normal.

I'm not sure why I ended up loading with Unique. I distinctly remember a trial with Red Dot performing better and being more accurate...
Old May 29, 2018, 02:57 PM   #6
Rifletom

I don't own a .380 auto, but, found this in the Hornady #8 book: This with a 100gr RN-FMJ: They're best test powder was Win231. Start load: 2.6gr. Max load: 3.5gr.
They list other powders, but, they preferred 231. Vague, I know. But...
Old June 14, 2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have loaded about 2,000 Rainier plated 100 gr. round nose in .380.
My first were a few with Bullseys and they were OK but dirty.

After that I tried Win 231 with 2.9 gr. and eventually increased up to 3.1 as my happy load.
Most were fired in Bersa Thunder 380 and they shot well. Recently have shot about 75 - 100 rounds in a S&W Bodyguard .380 which also worked well. However I have not increased powder in search of a sweet spot as I was happy with the 3.1 gr. for my casual plinking pleasure.
3.1 gr. is very comfortable to shoot & both guns function well. The new Bodyguard had a few malfunctions at first but after break in seems to shoot them OK.
Old June 14, 2018, 04:20 PM   #8
kmw1954

Marco Califo you have convinced me. You are exactly correct.

I'm at the bench right now loading 9mm Plated 115gr bullets. So I guess there is no need to mark the labels as to which bullets these are. Just that they are 115gr.. Material, size, shape and bullet length make absolutely no difference. I mean as long as they are all the same weight Right! No reason to over think this.
Old June 15, 2018, 07:20 AM   #9
David R

Loaded quite a few.

Tried the 231, but got less velocity than the book said.

Went to Unique. Load 3.8 for practice and 4.0 for something hotter than factory. Been up to 4.1 for 950 fps. This is where I stopped. Could go to 4.2 according to the book, but not according to my gun.\
Can't tell the difference between hollow base and solid base.

Between me and the girl, we shoot about 500 a year.

Factory loads crony about 850.
We have an LCP, a Kimber Micro and Sig P238.
I seem to find a lot of brass at the range. Its the only caliber I do not sort.

Enjoy
David
Old June 15, 2018, 07:30 AM   #10
FITASC

You might want to actually look at the the powder maker websites instead of outdated-beofre-it's-printed manuals, They keep things up to date on a regular basis.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 15, 2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Northrider

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ5
"You can use any published data as long as it is the same weight (FMJ, Lead, Plated, etc.)
-Standard Plate Bullets max velocity- 1,250 fps."

Marco, thanks for posting this and the link. I have had a dickens of a time getting info from Alliant for shooting plated bullets. This is most helpful.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:28 PM   #12
Marco Califo

I load 9mm Luger, and not 380 ACP.

I looked at Raniers online a few days ago, and it said the same thing. I have a big box of Ranier 115 gr RN. So, yes, I know what I will load them with. I have some odd 1/2 lb or half tin of some discontinued powders, that will get used up in medium 9mm loads. But, I wold not mix RN and flat point of the same weight, even with the same powder charge. They might behave differently. The max published velocites are with Blue Dot.

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 15, 2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Specify cartridge = 9mm
Old June 15, 2018, 09:42 PM   #13
Marco Califo

FITASC, actually I truly appreciate the old pamphlets, especially the ones with data no longer published. Alliant likes to push their newest powders on-line, today Sports Pistol loads predominate their online data, and they are not max FPS by a couple hundred.. The old data for Red Dot, Green Dot and Herco are still valid, and they will email them to you if you ask
There are places with free downloads of the old pamphlets and even manuals.
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/default.html

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 15, 2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Typo/spelling