The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 28, 2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Beagle333

'Gonna try a Birdshead

'Just put my first birdshead on layaway. I think this one will be a nice addition to the cowboy gun collection. It's just a standard 5.5" 1873 Uberti, but I figure with a little slicking up, it'll do just fine for my backyard shooting. I've always wanted to test out one of these, so the time has come. (or will come soon, as soon as I get it out of hock.)

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 29, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
gwpercle

Please post your findings.
I have always thought they looked rather odd but if something works...Well , that's another story. Things start looking good in that light .
Gary
Old August 1, 2017, 01:05 PM   #3
the possum

I have never been a huge fan of that particular style of birdshead grip, but I did pick up a Cimmaron Thunderer, which has a different shape. I really like the way it feels in my hand.
Old August 1, 2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Beagle333

It is definitely going to be different than all of my other grips, but I thought I'd give it a try. It was a good deal, so I shouldn't have much trouble turning it over without much loss if I end up hating it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 1, 2017, 09:42 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Bird's head grip is fun, I have one in .32 H&R, but they're really meant to be a one handed gun. Shooting it two handed is uncomfortable.

The only benefit of a bird head grip is carrying it feels more comfortable with that rounded end.
Old August 2, 2017, 09:11 PM   #6
ligonierbill

Here's one I had out to the range today. Cylinder is out for cleaning. She's 139 and still has a nasty bark (worse bite).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt 1877.jpg (56.0 KB, 46 views)
Old August 2, 2017, 10:03 PM   #7
rodwhaincamo

I also think the birds head grip looks cool and figured I may look into having it done if/when I buy an Uberti Colt Police.

I've also considered rounding the butt on my Pietta Remington NMA.
Old August 4, 2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I was shooting my Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army with the bird's head grip and skull crusher the other day in a CAS match. I don't shoot it much, and I forgot how weird the grip is.

Gotta say, I am so used to shooting single action revolvers with the standard plow handle grip that it took me a bunch of shots before I got comfortable with the MH.

Old August 4, 2017, 09:12 PM   #9
rodwhaincamo

What caliber is that DJ?
Old August 5, 2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
What caliber is that DJ?
44-40
Old August 7, 2017, 10:10 AM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

All I will say its a good thing you reload Chuck. 45 colt 5" barrel with a birdshead grip in a Ruger? We will be seeing quite a few additional threads from you in the future. "That I'm sure of."
Old August 8, 2017, 10:25 PM   #12
Beagle333

'Made the last payment yesterday and got my tracking number today. It's on the FedEx truck now. Yahoo!!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:36 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you for the warning on the bite Ligonier Bill. I'll avoid them.
Old August 11, 2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Beagle333

Got it! Here it is, in all its splendor......
She's a beauty. This one has the firing pin on the hammer, no transfer bar.
Hopefully I can test it out tomorrow. (if the weather holds out)

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:28 PM   #15
rodwhaincamo

I assume the color of the wood is a bit darker in the pic but I certainly like it!

And I'm waiting for your range report and what you thought of the grip style.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Beagle333

I'll have to get a pic in the sun of the wood. It's actually lighter than in the picture above. Buds must have used a stock picture in the ad (shown in post #1) for their gun, or perhaps it was their fluorescent lighting, but I thought the handles were black. I'm not disappointed that they are this color and it rather appeals to me.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 12, 2017, 10:31 AM   #17
rodwhaincamo

I'm just happy for you that Uberti doesn't use that reddish stain that Pietta uses. I stripped mine off and used walnut IIRC. Much better now.

*EDIT*

Golden oak stain...

Last edited by rodwhaincamo; August 12, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 12, 2017, 08:30 PM   #18
Beagle333

I loaded 'er up today with some RCBS 45-270SAA bullets over 8.0 grains of Unique. The book says that should go 924fps. I was shooting at a paper plate taped to a much larger box set up at 21 feet. Holding the top of the blade straight across the sights, it shot about a foot low. But using half a blade up over the sight, I pulled it up onto the plate and could keep each cylinder on the plate using that sighting. I didn't get any great groups, other than keeping each volley of 5 on the plate, but it was fun. (I only load 5 in a gun with no safety)

The small grip isn't much good for drawing, at least not from the holster I was using. I'd need to select one that lets it ride up high so I could get 3 fingers on the grip.

But it was very comfortable when sighting, both with single and double hand grips. I mostly used one hand and it did provided quite a bit of flip up when fired, but not unmanageable and nowhere near enough influence a fairly quick sight recovery following the shot.

I'm pretty impressed with it thus far and will try to load some 200grainers and see if I can get them hitting a little higher. I do like the 45-270SAA bullets a LOT though, so in the long term I might end up lowering that blade just for those.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 12, 2017, 10:05 PM   #19
rodwhaincamo

Very nice! And glad you are pleased with your purchase.

A 200 grn bullet should shoot quite a bit lower, no?
Old August 12, 2017, 11:14 PM   #20
Beagle333

Yes, bullet dwell time is supposed to influence the POI. But I just want to test a few different ones first. I'm always leery of taking the file to one too soon, until I'm certain that it needs it.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; August 12, 2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old August 13, 2017, 12:13 AM   #21
rodwhaincamo

Oh for sure! Don't file on it before you KNOW you have what you want.
Old August 14, 2017, 11:47 PM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Yes, bullet dwell time is supposed to influence the POI.
Howdy Again

I have heard that many times, and I don't believe it.

The difference in the amount of time a 200 grain bullet is in the barrel vs say, a 250 grain bullet, is insignificant. What really matters is how much more recoil the heavier bullet generates before the bullet exits the barrel.

I have tested this bunches of times, mostly with 38s. Everything else being the same, including the powder charge, a 158 grain bullet always prints higher than a 125 grain bullet, because the increased recoil flips the muzzle up higher before the bullet leaves the barrel. Dwell time in the barrel is insignificant.
Old August 15, 2017, 05:06 AM   #23
Beagle333

So if I read right, you are saying that the barrel rise rates influence it more than the bullet speeds. So a 158gr loaded with Trail Boss will hit lower than a 125gr loaded with TiteGroup, in a 38.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 15, 2017, 11:00 AM   #24
the possum

Quote:
I have heard that many times, and I don't believe it.

The difference in the amount of time a 200 grain bullet is in the barrel vs say, a 250 grain bullet, is insignificant. What really matters is how much more recoil the heavier bullet generates before the bullet exits the barrel.

I have tested this bunches of times, mostly with 38s. Everything else being the same, including the powder charge, a 158 grain bullet always prints higher than a 125 grain bullet, because the increased recoil flips the muzzle up higher before the bullet leaves the barrel. Dwell time in the barrel is insignificant.
I do believe it, because it's extremely obvious with my gun. I have a 10" barreled .454 Casull, with an additional cylinder in .45 ACP, and have also experimented with loads at all levels of the power spectrum. Slower bullets always hit higher than faster ones, regardless of weight. 230 grainers at 700 fps feel like a popgun. Almost no recoil. But they still hit 2 FEET high at 25 yards. No amount of white knuckling the gun or trying to hold it firm on the sandbags will stop it. 325 grainers at 1500 fps have way more recoil, but shoot dead on. You can load a cylinder full of mixed rounds at various velocities, and clearly watch the effects on target.

Neat side effect, is that those 230 grain light loads are dead on at 225 yards, so it's fun to plink at dirt clods along the field road 20 acres away.