The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
chuter

Rem 870 v Mossberg 835 ?

A buddy asked me which shotgun to pick up for field and home. A Remington 870 Wingmaster or a Mossberg 835 Utra-Mag. I've had both and still have a 835 for field use. Long before the 835 was made I sent many a clay bird to their demise in front of my 870's. There's subtle differences (safety locations, vented barrel, etc.) but overall, similar guns. I suggested that features (wood versus plastic stock, etc.) and price may be the deciding factors. Anything else that would dramatically impact his decision? I know the Nova's a nice gun too but he's looking at the Rem and Moss.
Old October 27, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
rantingredneck

One other big difference is the overbored barrel of the 835. It is near 10 ga. dimensions. This makes shooting slugs from the standard choked barrel impossible but there are dedicated slug barrels available.

I have both guns, but if it were just one I'd have to say 870.
Old October 27, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
publius

I love 870's, I think they are a tighter,overall better made gun. That said the Mossberg is just as reliable and I love the overbore barrel. You don't want 3.5 in either for HD.

Last edited by publius; October 27, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:39 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The location of the slide release is IMHO better located for home defense and hunting needs. Why would the overbore make it impossible to fire slugs? The overbore is only for part of the barrel and after that it is standard diameter and the accu-choke feature allows any choke including the rifled slug choke for sabots.
But both being firm solid reliable shotguns is fact! I think if you outfit (order) a wood stocked 835 it would be a pretty nice lookin shootin iron!
Brent
Old October 27, 2008, 06:45 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Quote:
The overbore is only for part of the barrel and after that it is standard diameter and the accu-choke feature allows any choke including the rifled slug choke for sabots.
Nope, the 835 is overbored the entire length of the barrel. The accumag chokes are much larger diameter than corresponding accuchokes. I have both a 500 and 835 and can personally attest to this. The standard 835 barrels are rollmarked "Not for use with slugs". Mossberg's website also carries this advisory.

Slugs fired in the standard overbored 835 barrels can wobble and wedge sideways in the barrel creating an obstruction. Not a good thing if you don't realize it and fire another slug behind it.

There are standard 12ga diameter smooth and rifled slug barrels avialable for the 835 though.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:57 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Gotcha... Thanks for clearing that up. In the words of some body... "I did not know that"
Brent
Old October 27, 2008, 07:06 PM   #7
rantingredneck

No prob. I've been looking around for a good used slug barrel for mine. I've got 24" and 28" accumag barrels for it. Not sure why I want a slug barrel for that one since I've got 3 other slug guns. I guess I just feel like I oughta have one.

Not sure I'm gonna be shooting any of those 3 1/2" slugs out of it though....