The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 8, 2012, 05:22 AM   #201
Pistolgripshotty

I don't like how our rights are determined on how a persons opinion is. If I want a ak-47 than I should be able to get one...its my right! I mean jeez man, the next thing you know they'll be telling us what kinda car to drive, what kinda house to live in, what type of food to eat. I don't like it at all! This stuff is crooked SERIOUSLY!!!!
Old October 8, 2012, 11:41 AM   #202
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If I want a ak-47 than I should be able to get one...its my right! I mean jeez man, the next thing you know they'll be telling us what kinda car to drive, what kinda house to live in, what type of food to eat.
"They" already tell you what kind of car you can drive. It needs to be registered, able to pass emissions, and comply with numerous safety standards. Your house has to comply with zoning and community standards, and the food you consume is very much regulated by the FDA.

"It's my right!" doesn't let anyone bypass that stuff. Nor does it sway judges very much as a defense.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:21 PM   #203
Glenn E. Meyer

Perhaps studying history, philosophy and political science might help one better understand the arguments as compared to ranting.

Nor is it useful to just post throw-away comments here or in other subforums.

That's a hint.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:48 AM   #204
Pistolgripshotty

Ok thats a good point Tom Servo. But my main point is just that politics can be a headache sometimes.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:19 PM   #205
silvermane_1

interesting thread but we gun owners have to educate folks that a "assult rifle" is a rifle that is capable of burst/automatic fire, not the semi-auto sportized cousins we all know and love.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old October 16, 2012, 09:23 PM   #206
RamItOne

AWB

He seriously just mentioned bringing back the AWB
Old October 16, 2012, 09:34 PM   #207
Tom Servo
Staff

Yep, and Romney also said he'd support a new AWB if both sides of Senate agreed on it.

Just like they did the last time.

That said, the votes aren't there, so I'm not worried.

I'll reiterate my warning that we not let this devolve into political discourse.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:39 PM   #208
TX_QtPi

For those on this post saying that Obama did NOT say he wanted to ban assault rifles, here ya go... from the official transcript...

Quote:
But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets. And so what I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap hand guns.
So IF you are smart enough to read into what he is saying it's NOT just the "assault weapons" he is wanting to ban but handguns fall into his strategy too...
Old October 17, 2012, 01:10 AM   #209
Ben Towe

Quote:
Yep, and Romney also said he'd support a new AWB if both sides of Senate agreed on it.
Not quite. Romney used the MA bill as an example of bipartisan legislation. He did not say he would sign one as president. Crowley actually said that.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:21 AM   #210
StainlessSteel215

I was wondering if last night's short firearms speech from the president would find itself in a post today. I dont think he's making a strong argument for or against gun control at this time...he was addressing a question from a woman who asked a direct assault weapons question as it related to the victims in Aurora. His objective seemed to be directed towards assuaging the victims' families anger over this issue. Seems to me that neither candidate poses a strong threat against NRA or 2A in general. Assault weapons seem to have been next on the chopping block for some time...but nobody is making a strong effort against them.

Personally, I feel safe for a while. Thoughts?
Old October 17, 2012, 08:39 AM   #211
JimPage

Stainless: I believe you are misled. Obama does say he wants AWB. Romney did say he doesn't want one. Clear difference.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old October 17, 2012, 08:50 AM   #212
StainlessSteel215

I'm on the fence this election and Ill leave personal opinions out of this thread for obvious reasons.....that was just my take on his AWB stance. It's certainly not a hot item on his agenda thats for sure....he has too many other but button topics to address. I just hope it stays that way. He had a difficult task of addressing the question without stepping on NRA toes.

FACT: He said he FULLY supports 2A and always has in last night's speech. I just hope it sticks!
Old October 17, 2012, 08:58 AM   #213
geetarman

I think the debate last night will light a fire under those folks who have been thinking about buying a firearm.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 17, 2012, 10:01 AM   #214
TX_QtPi

Seriously? Not making a strong stand against them? When someone says they want to BAN something, that is a pretty strong stance.
An he Alluded to handguns as well... Truth is, if re-elected he does not have to respond or answer to anyone after this 4 year term. First term is always a keep cool phase second term is where their real agenda comes into play.
what he is calling regulation and control sounds more like a disarming, I hate to say it but 4 more years of Obama sounds more like a prison sentence than a presidential term.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:03 AM   #215
gaseousclay

Quote:
Stainless: I believe you are misled. Obama does say he wants AWB. Romney did say he doesn't want one. Clear difference.
Romney was for the AWB in MA. to quote Obama, "he was for it before he was against it." two sides of the same coin imo.

i'm with stainlessteel215, i'm not worried one bit. i'll let the rest of the conspiracy theorists out there do all the speculating
Old October 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #216
gaseousclay

Quote:
First term is always a keep cool phase second term is where their real agenda comes into play.
what he is calling regulation and control sounds more like a disarming, I hate to say it but 4 more years of Obama sounds more like a prison sentence than a presidential term.
to throw out a Biden-ism, what a bunch of malarkey
Old October 17, 2012, 10:38 AM   #217
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Nine political posts, immediately after Tom Servo's warning.

That's it, we're done.
Closed Thread