The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
RED_beard92

I need a new plinker

So I am looking into getting a new plinker. The only requirement that I have is that it needs to be able to take a high capacity box magazine. I want some thing decently accurate with out dumping a boat load of money into it. I am not a champion marksman and I will not be shooting long range most likely 25 yards to 50 yards max. (probably in a prone position.) I have been looking into the Ruger 10/22 and also a Smith and Wesson AR 15 22. I prefer the configuration of the AR but I love Rugers reputation. (not saying Smiths are bad I own some) honestly I will only be running cheap bulk ammo through them so what are all of yall's recommendations.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
4runnerman

I own both. 10/22 is a blast and very accurate, The SW mp 15-22 is a fun rifle. I got into just to see if I would like the AR Platform. I very much like it. Mags were not fun to find when I first got it ,but not to bad now. I have a 6-24 56 scope on it and she is pretty accurate out to 100 yards. I have not pushed it farther yet. I have about 2500 rounds down it now and only 3 ftf's which is not bad. Seems to eat anything you put down it. The rugers,both maybe 20 years old. I have no idea how many rounds down the now. Would have to guess at over 20,000 for sure. Both still going strong. The one I got when I was a kid and I am 52 yrs old now. Either one is a good choice in my book. You can get the 25 round mags for the Ruger to. The Rugers will eat anything also. The only ammo I had issues with was Blazer. They seem to jam way to often.
Old October 6, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
gav1230

You don't have a 10/22 yet? I'm pretty sure that's a sin. Seriously, my 10/22 was cheap to buy, and it is more reliable and accurate than I am.
Old October 6, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Quote:
You don't have a 10/22 yet? I'm pretty sure that's a sin. Seriously, my 10/22 was cheap to buy, and it is more reliable and accurate than I am.
+1

You won't regret it.

Boomer
Old October 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #5
RawPony

The 10/22 . A wonderfully modular rifle that can assume any character you want to give it . You can buy barrels from 16 inches up to 24 inches , bull barrels if you want , aluminum barrels with steel liners , carbon fiber barrels , all steel barrels . Thumb hole target stocks , over-molded rubber stocks , AR - style stocks , even M1 carbine stocks . After market triggers , custom bolts and bolt handles , receivers that have AR - style charging handles , and more . I would recommend a baseline Ruger 10/22 , and if you find something about it that you want to change , find the video on youtube on how to do it and start parts shopping . But maybe , like millions of other owners , you may find it to your liking right out of the box . The most versatile rifle ever sold in America . Did I mention you can do all these changes using nothing more than a flat head screwdriver , a hex wrench , and some brass punches ?

Last edited by RawPony; October 7, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old October 6, 2013, 01:53 PM   #6
mr.t7024

I need a new plinker

Rugers are nice. The Marlin 60 holds more rounds and out of the box it is more accurate in my opinion. I have two 10-22's and they collect dust, my go to rifle is a Marlin 60.

I would suggest look at both of them.and shoulder both of them,then make your decision.Cliff
Old October 6, 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
ripnbst

I need a new plinker

Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Less than or right around $100 and I've probably got 5k rounds through mine with very few issues. High cap mags are available in the form of the mags made for the Mossberg .22 AR. The guns have the same action. I recommend the 702 Plinkster over the Mossberg AR. The .22 AR by Mossberg is junk.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
k511

Everyone should have a 10/22, so if you don't have one, that would be my first reccomendation.... the S&W is also a fine AR platform for the .22lr, I love mine....another "fun" option might be a gsg-522...mp5 clone..I recently got one of these and it has also been great (400 bucks new)....all 3 are solid platforms either should do well for your purpose
Old October 7, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Pinky Carruthers

I really like my Sig 522.
SOM
Old October 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #10
RED_beard92

Thanks guys, im leaning more towards the Ruger but I only have two questions about it 1. Is the mag release in an awkward position and 2. What model should I get? (target, sporter, tactical, compact, carbine, or takedown) I don't honestly know what the difference is between most of them.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:33 AM   #11
k511

i myself went with the standard carbine,,,then build it the way I wanted....depending on how/if you want to modify it, some of the other models may already have exactly what your looking for...
Old October 10, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

well there's always the modified 10/22

or the hk mp5 in 22 (or the gsg clone)

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Evan Thomas

Another vote for the 10/22. Get the basic carbine, shoot it for a while, and then see what, if any, changes you want to make to it. The design is brilliantly simple -- anyone with reasonable mechanical ability should be able to work on one -- and aftermarket parts are available to set it up and/or upgrade it however you want. The most bang for the buck, IMO, is a trigger job or aftermarket trigger group parts.

As far as the mag release goes, on newer models, it's fine. With minimal practice, you can easily change mags one-handed.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

I think an excellent choice would what I have on my list fro my next "plinker"
Ruger 10/22 Takedown!
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 10, 2013, 12:27 PM   #15
mxsailor803

10/22 all the way. There are endless possibilities that you can do with one. I would just get a regular carbine personally. Shoot it for awhile and if you decide later on, modify then. They are really addicting. Highly recommend you take a look at rimfirecentral.com and check out the 10/22 sections. Some of those guys are extremely knowledgeable about these rifles.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:45 PM   #16
skizzums

i can't say what to buy, but my 10/22 is a good gun, just got the standard "no frills" black polymer. good gun. mossberg ar 22, CRAP!!! magazine is too loose and floppy, not that it jams so much, it's just hard to get going in the first place. very cheaply built, but it's also cheap.............
Old October 10, 2013, 09:26 PM   #17
SVTCobra306

Another vote for the 10/22. I have had three, still have two, wish I had the first one still, it was an older metal version that I bought used in like '97 and it was the most accurate of the three..

I don't like the "toy" feel of most AR style 22's. My favorite of the 10/22's that I have is a Davidson's edition that I have right now, has a very nice green/gray/black laminate stock and blued metal. It feels like a much nicer rifle than the $240 I paid for it.

10/22's do have a couple of quirks.. the mag release, especially the newer ones with the factory extended mag release, are pretty easy to get used to but slightly awkward with a factory 10 round magazine. Most people are used to it by the time they shoot about a hundred rounds. The bolt lock is also a bit awkward until you get used to it. Again, about a hundred rounds and you're there
Old October 11, 2013, 12:51 AM   #18
Justice06RR

RED, if you are ok with the factory 10/22 setup, the Takedown model is great IMO. This is the best bang for the buck if you intend to keep it in stock form. Otherwise, get any of the 10/22's except the base model with the Walnut stock. The Bull-barrel model is sweet, and looks like a mini- Remington700. That would be my 2nd choice if you can find one.

I've owned both the 10/22 and S&W 15-22. Got rid of the 10/22 because I barely shot it, and prefer the AR platform (personal preference and commonality with other M4 rifles). But for a basic plinker, the 10/22 can't be beat. If you really have a big preference for AR15-style rifles, get the S&W15-22. If not, the 10/22 is the way to go.
Old October 11, 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
RED_beard92

I do plan on modifying a 10/22 slightly. The upgrades I want to put on would be an adjustable stock with a bio-pod, also I want an oversized charging handle and mag release with an extended mag. Oh, and an auto bolt release. Other than that completely stock. Thanks for the help guys.