The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 2, 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
jambrdly

broken mini-14

I was at the range today blazing away with my beloved mini-14, when suddenly it refused to go bang. I cycled the action by hand but it still refused to fire. Moreover, if I pull the trigger on an empty chamber, there is no "click" - just a soft thud. I'm thinking, maybe a broken firing pin?

Christmas is just around the bend and I don't want to splash out the big bucks to have a gunsmith check this out, if there is any possibility of fixing it myself.

Does anyone know of a good site that might list step-by-step dis-assembly instructions for the mini-14? How hard is it to smith this weapon? What tools might I need?

Thanks

JCB
Old December 2, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
nstoolman1

This is a nice site. It is the manual for the rifle. Look up your rifle. I think on the last page it says that the fireing pin needs to be fitted at the factory.

HTH

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GL3m7v7tD1sSig

This from Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988...-ruger-mini-14

One more. A video I found that might help you.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/minibolt%20low.html

Last edited by nstoolman1; December 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
jmortimer

Why not send it back to Ruger? They don't let factory parts out but they have great customer service.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Adamantium

If I were to guess I'd say your problem is in your trigger group. Can you pull that out and post a picture here?
Old December 2, 2012, 11:27 PM   #5
the rifleer

Don't pay a gunsmith anything, just call ruger and ship it back. The have superb customer service. They will fix it up and ship it back with no charge. just be advised that they will return it to original condition, so don't sent a scope mount or anything with it because they wont return it.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
stu925

I'd check it over myself before sending it back to Ruger, might be something very simple to fix. If it ends up being something else send it back to Ruger. If it's a firing Pin you'll have to send it back anyway since Ruger will not sell firing pins to anyone and the only aftermarket option is the Glend Arms pin which has mixed reviews at best. Pull the trigger group and give it a good thorough cleaning as well as the bolt. Sounds like maybe you've got something in the trigger group, I'm thinking maybe a primer came out of a case and dropped in there. What kind of ammo were you using at the time?

Stu
Old December 3, 2012, 01:47 PM   #7
rickyrick

Something impeding the hammer?
Old December 3, 2012, 09:14 PM   #8
jambrdly

I was using PMC ammo - maybe that was the problem

I took it to the smith today and he said the problem was that the trigger housing had come loose and that (its a safety feature) had caused the rifle not to fire. I hadn't noticed but when he showed me it was obvious that the trigger housing had backed out of the action (step one in dis-assembly, I believe). He charged me $5 to hit it with a rubber mallet and knock it back in. Problem solved.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
stu925

Glad it was an easy fix, keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't keep happening. Possibly the trigger guard wasn't completely latched last time you had it apart?

Stu