The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 26, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1
survivedetroit

Best color for shooting glasses

Hello all,

I am buying a new pair of shooting glasses and trying to determine the proper color to tint the lenses. I would like something that is a good all around color and that would be suitable for mostly outdoor but sometimes indoor shooting.

Here is a link to a picture with my options. I am thinking of getting 50% yellow. Any opinions on what I should purchase?

http://tinyurl.com/cr8at2
Old January 26, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
JWT

Color is largely a personal preference. What 'works' for one person won't really be what another person likes. If you can the best thing to do is to go somewhere that has glasses with the various colored lenses and try them on to see what you actually prefer.

I like an vermillion (orangish red) shade for bright sunlight but use more of an amber for night shooting and cloudy days.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3
luvsasmith

+1

JWT has it right and I prefer the amber or orange also. The yellow is OK too.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
The Great Mahoo

I've always liked grey and amber. I have a set of amber glasses now, but 9 times out of 10, I wear my clear ones.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

JWT nailed it. I prefer yellow, but to each his own.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
sandpiper

There are choices available that come with multiple lenses, different colors, and easy to change. The one I think of off the top is Decot Hy- wyd(sp).

As was said above, color choice is personal preference. I work in the optical industry, and finding one lens color to do all things would be like telling most of you guys that you can only have one gun for everything.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Cinaed

I understand individual color preferences to an extent, but isn't there some value to specific colors at diminishing glare in bright light situations, and other colors at improving contrast in dimmer light situations?

Last week, with overcast skies and cold weather at midday, I don't think the gray shooting glasses are going to improve my acccuracy at the shooting bench. In that case, I would guess that yellow, amber, or orange would be the proper range for selection, then personal preference within that color range.

In bright conditions one would want shooting glasses to do two things: diminish glare and improve contrast both with the goal of improving accuracy.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:52 PM   #8
JWT

Decot Hy-Wyd has an extensive line of shooting glasses with a great number of lens colors. Their lenses are easy to change from one color to another. Their representative attend various trap shoots in the west and their customer service folks are very knowledgeable and can most likely answer questions concerning the advantages and disadvantages of the various colored lenses.
Old January 30, 2009, 04:37 PM   #9
obxned

I use different color lenses depending on the light. On bright, sunny days the dark gray ones seem best, but in lower light, the amber seem to brighten everything up a bit. Since there is no indoor shooting range around here, I rarely use clear ones.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old January 30, 2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I always use clear. I want to shoot the way I would have to without them. If I have a sun glare problem I wear regular sunglasses because the only time I actually wear "shooting" glasses is at a range that requires it.

Tags
glasses eye