The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 30, 2020, 09:05 AM   #51
Skans

Quote:
I for the like of me cannot understand what it is with Taurus gun owners. They defend crappy firearms and even crappier customer service with a vigilance like I've never seen. Early last year I made the biggest gun buying mistake ever, getting sucked in by good reviews, cheap price and purchased two Taurus firearms. Both failed miserably (TX22 & G2C). When I complained about the guns and the company with proof to back up my claims on the Taurus gun forum I was asked to leave. Taurus owners defend that horrible company with a blindness that is similar to never Trumpers. Don't they understand that by allowing Taurus to get away with their shoddy products and I don't give a crap about you customer service they're just making it worst. Taurus gets away with it and will never correct their terrible behavior as long as their customers continue to make ridiculous excuses to support their Taurus purchase. I just don't get it. Am I missing something here?
Here's the deal. Most Taurus guns work really well. Some have problems. I have owned 2 Taurus guns in my life - a .357 revolver and a PT99 Semi-auto. The revolver was a rock-solid workhorse. The PT99 was a disaster after the locking block shattered. Also, the nickel finish on it was thin and corroded easily.

People will defend the guns that they use and abuse without problem.
Old March 30, 2020, 10:51 PM   #52
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenstein
Now with all the pro-American rhetoric and buy American BS spewing from many lips here, all I can say is; Remington. And now we have the pot calling the kettle black.
Fun Fact: Remington 's current C.E.O. is Anthony Accitelli, former C.E.O. of...Wait for it...Taurus International.
Old March 31, 2020, 06:19 AM   #53
Old Stony

I owned a pretty busy gun shop years ago, and finally gave up stocking any Taurus. Granted that some of them worked just fine, but they did have a fairly large number of problems with them....and the guns came back into my shop on a regular basis. I got tired of seeing customers come back with their firearms wanting me to return them to the factory for repairs. I finally decided no more Taurus's in stock and if someone insisted on me ordering one for them, they were told that they would have to be responsible for returning them for factory repairs.
Before this decision on my part, I would order several of one model at a time and probably end up having to return at least one of them to the factory....and often time have a really PO'd customer waiting for the gun to be returned to them. Often times the customer figured I should have refunded their money instead of sending the firearm in for warranty work.
Old April 10, 2020, 08:24 AM   #54
wmg1299

I own several Taurus products, and have only had problems with the PT709 Slim. The extractor gave out at 500 rounds and was fixed under warranty. The rear sight screw worked itself out, and Taurus sent a replacement at no cost. I carried a PT111 as my edc when they first came out because it was the best mix of size and capacity at the time. It ran flawlessly, but was replaced by a Sig P365 when the 365 was released several years later.
Taurus serves a purpose by offering guns at an affordable price. If money were no object, I would never have owned one. When I was younger and had less money, Taurus met my needs at a price I could afford. I felt better owning a Taurus than I would have felt being without a gun while I saved up for a premium brand. Taurus is the Ramen Noodles of the gun world. I’m never gonna argue that they offer an excellent product, but they get the job done when you can’t afford anything else.
Old April 10, 2020, 08:57 AM   #55
Hal

Quote:
@Hal
You need to use a higher grain weight, my 605 shot low with light ammo. I was using 125/130 grains you need the 158 stuff.
I was shooting 158 grain loads.
It really had nothing to do with high/low/right/left.
It was all about how spread out the pattern was.
Old April 10, 2020, 09:00 AM   #56
Logs

I own two Model 85's snubs and they have shot great. That said I have had issues with the 92 beretta copy with bad mag release. G2 9mm had cycling issues. Taurus use to have good Customer Service, but now I am not sure I would buy another one.
Old April 21, 2020, 09:30 PM   #57
WestTex

Regardless of manufacturer a lot of people will have polar opposite customer service reactions.

Because i could get it, nib for $270, i bought a Taurus mod 605 in .357.

I wanted a wheelie to use as a platform for learning to Totally disassemble a gun.

Of course, i lost a small part. My bad, but i went to Taurus CS chat line. From schematic i had the part number and gave it to the lady.

She came back and said i should have it in 2 days - no charge.

It arrived, i fixed the 605 and for about 18 months it has run ad good as my Smith 60 or SP101.

Those aren't excuses - just my experience.
Old April 24, 2020, 08:39 AM   #58
cc-hangfire

“triplebike - Senior Member
Taurus firearm owners
I for the like of me cannot understand what it is with Taurus gun owners. They defend crappy firearms and even crappier customer service with a vigilance like I've never seen...”

Is this thread still running? What do I care what some unknown person at an unknown location with different experiences, beliefs, and circumstances doesn’t think EXACTLY like me? But, then, if we couldn’t fuss about minutiae, the internet would be a lonely place.
Old July 10, 2020, 08:17 AM   #59
HA_Arnevet

Taurus QC

I have owned two (2) Taurus revolvers.
My first was a second hand Model 605, 5-shot .38/.357. Firing >50 rounds of mixed .38 and .357 caused the cylinder to misalign. My second, and last, Taurus is a 692 9mm, .38/357 7-shot.
Liberty ammunition jams in the chambers of both guns.
The finishing (bluing) of both guns is sorely lacking.
The trigger pull on the 692 is so heavy I can fire it only in SA mode.
The frame was damaged before it was taken out of the box.
Both guns went back to Taurus for repair.
Taurus said the 605 was fine in ITS testing environment. Never mind the obvious finishing issue. Taurus would NOT fire the Liberty rounds; not on its suppliers’ list.
The 692 – with only a ONE YEAR warranty (vs. all others’ “lifetime” warranty) – was returned to (a) fix the finish (bare metal after <100 rounds fired), (b) lighten the trigger pull, (c) attend to the frame defect.
Taurus had the 692 for MORE THAN 3 months and kept stalling. When I demanded it return the gun, I was told “we can’t do that now.”
Bottom line: Taurus is a second rate firearm, even the simple (compared to semi-autos) revolvers.
The ONLY good thing I can say about the 692 is the soft grip makes firing .357 almost painless, although I have migrated to the easier-to-find, less expensive 9mm JHPs. (The “moon/star/stellar” clips are easy to load/unload and they make reloading the cylinder very fast.)
Old July 10, 2020, 09:50 AM   #60
5whiskey

Quote:
What do I care what some unknown person at an unknown location with different experiences, beliefs, and circumstances doesn’t think EXACTLY like me?
Ditto. I have almost no opinion to other individuals choosing to own a Taurus. I’ve never owned one but have shot several and repaired one. I’m generally not impressed with their semi-autos and have zero experience with their revolvers. To each their own for me. I don’t care if Taurus owners defend their choice of firearm if it works for them.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946