The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
BigSlick

Look at this brass, tell me what caused this

Hi guys,

I just loaded a few rounds of 500SW.

When going thru loaded round inspection, I noticed one piece of Corbon brass had an odd anomoly.

I pulled the round, and the same is on the inside of the brass, with interior and exterior edges raised enough to catch a finger nail or dental pick on.

I haven't fired the brass in my 500, I just bought this batch of 100 from brassman.

I don't know what would cause something like the ring, but it looks like it was a 'filler' piece of some sort.

I'm not going to fire this for sure. I went thru the rest of the brass with a magnifying glass under a bright light and none of the others exhibit the same marking.

What causes this ?

Just a reminder to be thorough in your round inspection, I can't imagine what a KB would be like with 42gr of H4227

Opinions ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old January 1, 2006, 05:31 PM   #2
JJB2

hhhhuuummmmmm......... very interesting!!!

LIFE IS SHORT.................
Old January 1, 2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Kamicosmos

some kind of manufacturing defect I assume. Case got pinched by something in the machinery at the factory. If that was the only one, I'd just pull the round to salvage bullet and power, and cruch that case with a pair of pliers. If there are several in your batch, I'll let the reseller know in case there's a recall on that brass.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old January 1, 2006, 06:48 PM   #4
JDG

Looks like a test cartridge for measuring pressure. My speer reloading manual shows a drawing on the copper crusher method to find (c.u.p.) pressure ratings JDG
Old January 1, 2006, 09:26 PM   #5
saands

I think that JDG nailed this one ... I was trying to figure out why a cylinder would have a perfectly round defect in it. As this is once fired, whatever external artifacts that may have been there from the factory would be trounced by artifacts in the cylinder. I would still let brassman know that he is sourcing some dubious brass.

Saands
Old January 8, 2006, 02:19 AM   #6
kcoop9999

JDG took my guess. This looks like it's been through a pressure barrel.
Old January 8, 2006, 05:27 PM   #7
impact

I would keep the case in my collection of odd things. Thats unique! I never saw a case like that before.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Harley Quinn

I believe it is the c.u.p. test also...

I would send some pictures to the brassman and say, hey what the heck...

You are probably very lucky, no you are very lucky.

Reminds me of a time a guy was shooting and I said to him, that one did not sound right better check your barrel. He did and the bullet was stuck in the barrel.
I have seen a few bulged barrels and blown revolvers because of bad loading techs.

But that right there was a major error in the inspection at Brassman or where they get the brass. They should be very happy with you for telling them.

Be nice, you might make a friend.

Harley