The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 7, 2018, 05:13 PM   #1
lamarw

Two of a Kind

Attached picture is of two S&W Model 27-2's. Both are basically identical with pinned 8 & 3/8" barrels, recessed cylinders, target sights, target triggers, target hammers and Concalo alves checkered target stocks.

I did not need two of the same. I could not pass when the new to me, bottom one in attached picture, was available for half of what I paid for the first one over a year ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2ofakind.jpg (147.7 KB, 209 views)
Old July 8, 2018, 07:45 AM   #2
bedbugbilly

Sometimes it just a good idea to have a "spare" . . .

I've done the sort of th same thing twice - went to look at a vintage or used S & W and come home with two because the price was just too good to pass up. I've never come home with two of the same model though.

Very nice! Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 8, 2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Ricklin

8 3/8"??

Lot's of length, why not shorten one?

Be kinda cool to have a 4" and the 8 3/8" or find someone who would like to swap barrels.
Old July 8, 2018, 12:14 PM   #4
lamarw

Thanks bedbugbilly. I bought the second one when it looked to be a project gun at a good price. It turns out all it needed was routine cleaning and a little wax polish to have it looking like new. It was a training gun with red tape all over the barrel and other places covering the beautiful blued finish. I had no idea how it would look. It seems the tape protected the beauty underneath. It was a very pleasant surprise. Like a beautiful woman with a mud mask on her face.

Ricklin, It would be easy to replace the barrel, but it would destroy a lot of the value. I have a S&W Model 28-2 with a 4" barrel. They are the same revolver except the Model 27 has nicer touches and finish.
Old July 18, 2018, 05:59 PM   #5
smee78

Wow, what a great looking pair. I have a few sets of guns so I know how it goes, sometimes you just cant pass up a "extra".
Old July 18, 2018, 11:02 PM   #6
mellow_c

You lucky duck!

That's a great find, especially considering all you had to do is clean it up real well. I'd love to have a long barrel revolver like that... No practical reason exactly. I just think it has a certain visual appeal, and I'm sure it would be fun for longer shots, just plinking around on an opposite hillside or what have you.

No doubt that having two is twice as good!

If you don't mind sharing. . . I'd sure love to hear what you paid for the 2nd one.
How do they compare in terms of overall condition?

Thanks for sharing and congratulations!
Old July 18, 2018, 11:31 PM   #7
lamarw

Both revolvers are about equal condition wise. I would rate them as in excellent condition or at between 90 to 95%. The first one came in May of last year for a little over $800.00, but I had to pay a $150.00 for a set of correct target grips/stocks. The most recent was too good a deal to pass up at $541.00, and it came with the correct grips/stocks.

I had no idea as to the appearance condition of the new gun since about 50% of the gun was covered in red tape. It was only after I spent some time with acetone and a food kabob stick removing the tape did I find out how nice it was under the tape. So, you are correct I was a lucky duck.
Old July 22, 2018, 01:29 PM   #8
mellow_c

lamarw,

That's a good deal overall for the pair. Thanks for elaborating! It's always fun to share in the joy of others good deals/nice finds!
Old July 22, 2018, 11:36 PM   #9
Model12Win

Patrolman's sniper rifle

bet they're accurate, nothing like a long barrel .357 to get someone's attention from across the way.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:51 AM   #10
lamarw

Yes, I have found out to shoot a 5 yard target, I have to move 10 yards back.
Old July 23, 2018, 12:15 PM   #11
vba

Very nice pair you've got there...um.err.

My oldest Smith is a 19-3. Had many others but went brain dead a few times. Wish I had them back.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:09 PM   #12
DnPRK

"Two is one. One is none."
Old July 24, 2018, 01:10 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Lot's of length, why not shorten one?
Why not??

Why not throw away (or burn) several HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLs, in addition to paying for having the barrel cut and the sight remounted!!

Why cut up an increasingly rare, increasingly valuable, out of production gun when you don't NEED to??

please, don't even breathe a hint of that around old S&W enthusiasts!! Because after they beat you to death with cheaper, common, in production guns, tear your corpse into little pieces and stomp on them, then, they will get nasty.....

You'd be safer putting a Sharpie marker moustache on the Mona Lisa in front of a bunch of art collectors! (they don't have as many guns!!)

Seriously, those long 27s are the "real" .357 Magnum, as close to the original Registered Magnum as it gets, short of being one.

Target gun, or hunting gun, you get the most accuracy and power from the long 27. If you want an N frame carry gun, there are short barrel 27s (good luck finding one though), and you can still find 4" 28s.

somewhere out there is someone who would give their left ….leg for one of those long 27s. Never cut one!! Sell or trade it to someone who will enjoy it for what it is. I know some people, if its on the market...

Lovely guns, I had the use of one for a summer, got great practice popping sage rats in an old corral with .38 wadcutters, and also matched the original 1500fps + with 158 SWCs. The long 27 is a specialty piece, and very, very good at what it does.
Old July 24, 2018, 06:44 AM   #14
muzzleblast...

I am with 44 AMP. They don't make 'em like they used to. No more deep, polished bluing or rosewood stocks, or "target" triggers and hammers. Keep 'em as they are, a pair of twins.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:19 AM   #15
lamarw

44AMP & muzzleblast - Well stated; although mildly stated as to the repercussions of cutting the barrel down on one of these.
Old July 24, 2018, 10:11 AM   #16
Ricklin

Alright Alright

OK I promise never to make that suggestion again....my bad.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:51 PM   #17
lamarw

Not to worry or anyone's bad. If we saved one nice S&W, then we were all good.
Old July 26, 2018, 09:39 PM   #18
Eddietruett

You got 2 and I've not seen a 8 3/8" M27 in these parts in several years. Never hurts to have a pair. I have a pair of 8 3/8" 686's along with a 7". One of the 8 3/8" is a tack driver with heavy lead bullets which makes it a perfect Hog Gun. The other 8 3/8" shoots light cast bullets best so its my "target" gun and the 7" even makes me look good with how accurate it is with jacketed bullets which makes for a perfect deer gun. Never know when you need more than one!!!