The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 15, 2002, 05:38 PM   #1
Lo-khem

How to reduce .38 special gun noise

I have a rossi snub nose .38 special. Silencers are illegal in California but I would like to know of ways to suppress the noise level. I was at the range today and man I couldn't imagine firing it without ear protection. I am a new gun user and I want to know if it is something I must get used to. If a punk invades my home will I blow my eardrums out while protecting my wife and home? Any suggestions on lowering the gun noise? thank you

Respect to John Brown, Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Huey Newton and Assata Shakur. Power to freedom Fighters & righteous men. To hell with gangstas, crooked cops and racists.
Old July 15, 2002, 06:02 PM   #2
RdB

Snubbies are loud. You can try different ammo, which may help a wee bit (std. velocity vs. +p rated, std being "quieter") but face it, guns make noise. If you fire in close quarters, your ears may ring for a while, but if it's a "life & death" situation, what's a little ringing?

Russ
Old July 15, 2002, 06:04 PM   #3
CZ_

I don't think a silencer could work too well on a revolver anyway (even if they was legal in Granola Land). The barrel-cylinder gap is gonna let noise out regardless of if you have a silencer, IMO anyway.
Old July 15, 2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Borf

Snubbies tend to be louder than longer barelled guns. You might consider getting a 4"ish bbl .38 if you're overly concerned about the noise. I can't imagine a firearm of much defensive use being quieter than a 4" bbl .38 special...

Also keep in mind that the trade off you're asking about is "slight hearing loss" VS. "serious harm or death". At least you've got the hearing loss option to turn to if you need, as opposed to being unarmed.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old July 15, 2002, 08:51 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

If you shoot without hearing protection...
You WILL sustain permanint hearing loss to some degree.
Ruptured eardrum rare and usually not a long term problem.
Hearing loss without damage to eardrum common.

Life or death. Take life without perfect hearing.

Practice.....protect your ears.

Sam
Old July 15, 2002, 11:25 PM   #6
Blackhawk

Plug & muff ear protection while practicing, always.

Odds of your suddenly needing to blow away a punk in your house are about the same as Britney Spears showing up on your doorstep with a big wet kiss for you. Don't worry about it.
Old July 16, 2002, 01:47 AM   #7
gunorthopod

noise

Try a .44Magnum and you'll be amazed at how tame the .38 is by comparison.I do not mean to be facetious,but after a short while the noise will no longer be bothersome.Keep shooting.
Old July 16, 2002, 04:29 AM   #8
Jim March

It's possible a very large (even out-of-spec) gap between the barrel and cylinder is blasting too much sound out "in your direction" versus down the barrel.

The gap should be between .002" and .007" - directions for measuring it are here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=57816

In my view, a .38 snubbie should be as close to (or at) .002" as possible, so you get more bullet performance. You'll have to wipe down the face of the cylinder and back of the barrel every 30 - 50 shots with that tight a gap, because crud will build up and start to get in the way of the cylinder spinning. Some find that annoying, but I consider it well worth tolerating to minimize the noise and blast "out the sides" and to speed up the round by a bit - snubbies need all the help they can get in that department.
Old July 16, 2002, 08:06 AM   #9
Blue Duck357

I wouldn't worry about it, in that kind of situation your likely to not even notice it. A stress response called auditory exclusion tends to take over reducing your hearing anyway. You even note this when hunting under certain conditions. Buck of a lifetime come out, you shoot and the blast seems muffled. Do the same thing at the range and your ears ring for 4 hours.

A family member who was involved in a defensive shooting in the 70's reported to me that he could not recall hearing any of the six shots he fired with his 357 but that he did recall the muzzel flash outlining his sights and target giving him a perfect flash sight picture as each shot was fired.
Old July 16, 2002, 08:43 AM   #10
Blackhawk

Quote:
A family member who was involved in a defensive shooting in the 70's ....
The rest of the story...?

Please...?

Old July 17, 2002, 03:50 PM   #11
DAL

Yep, no doubt about it, snubbies ARE loud. In fact, my S&W 642 .38 is the loudest handgun I own by far. Have you ever heard an internal combustion engine running without a muffler? That's what it reminds me of.

BTW, I read recently somewhere that if you do fire a firearm in a confined space (indoors or inside a vehicle) you should open your mouth and yell. It's supposed to equal the pressure or something. Of course, I seriously doubt I'd have the presence of mind to do this in an actual altercation.
DAL

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old July 17, 2002, 05:03 PM   #12
STW

-----
I read recently somewhere that if you do fire a firearm in a confined space (indoors or inside a vehicle) you should open your mouth and yell. It's supposed to equal the pressure or something. Of course, I seriously doubt I'd have the presence of mind to do this in an actual altercation.
DAL
-----
I, on the other hand, expect to be yelling incoherently the whole time.

Since I'm already stone deaf on one side maybe I only have half the chance of damaging my hearing. (Note: I wear both an ear plug on the good side and muffs when shooting. I'm not taking any chances with what's left.)
Old July 17, 2002, 05:57 PM   #13
benewton

Concur with STW: I'll yell throughout the whole scene.

But, given that I can miss the mutts, I'll still empty the weapon, since I doubt I'll hear much after the first exits the muzzle!

And, 8 months out of 12, that'll be 21 rounds of .40 out of an H&k!

Too, she gets to shoot too, hopefully AT me, since she never hits what she aims at.....
Old July 17, 2002, 10:06 PM   #14
dsk

Quote:
Odds of your suddenly needing to blow away a punk in your house are about the same as Britney Spears showing up on your doorstep with a big wet kiss for you. Don't worry about it.
Just watch out for an AD in the event it DOES happen.

Sorry!

Seriously, in the heat of a confrontation your hearing will be the least of your worries. You'll also get most of your hearing back afterward. Look at the noise our WW2-Korea-Nam vets had to deal with. Far as I know most them can still hear well enough to function normally.
Old July 18, 2002, 08:29 AM   #15
jmlv

How about an idea I stole from

Mass Ayoob (and actually have used while hunting for many years) electronic hearing protection. they amplifi sound so you hear everything around you. including other rooms or downstairs and whispers. Yet if you have to shoot the noise id muted. they actually work well in this capicity. saved my ears while game shooting as well. Its something to think about.
MOLON LABE!
Old July 18, 2002, 08:56 AM   #16
Kentucky Rifle

I have only one ear that works, also.

I'm "stone deaf" on the right side. I use Pro-Ears electronic muffs when I'm shooting pistols at the indoor range. When I shoot my AR15 at the outsde range, I double-plug AND use the Pro-Ears. My Bushmaster Carbine is the loudest shooter I have. I even "plug" my deaf ear. I keep hoping the technology will be found to reverse the hearing loss and I don't want to damage things any more than they already are. I also use the Pro-Ears in the woods. It's drawn a few "chuckles", but I can HEAR!

KR
Old July 18, 2002, 01:25 PM   #17
Prof

Agree with JMLV. I keep my electronic hearing muffs in the bedstand. Slip them on while retrieving your firearm. Protects your hearing indoors and actually increases your ability to hear the bad guy. All of you who are willing to casually toss away your ability to hear, wake up. Permanent hearing loss and tintinnitis (ringing in the ears) are no joke. My shooting partner was a combat Marine in Korea. To this day he suffers from a constant ringing/buzzing in his ears. Some days it gets to him and almost drives him crazy. Also, a member of our shooting team is an Eye, Ear , Nose and Throat surgeon. He uses plugs and muffs whenever he shoots. His talks to our club members on what really happens when you suffer irreversible, permanent hearing loss has made believers out of all of us, except the older hunters in the crowd who couldn't hear what he was saying. Oh, and the auditory suppression thing is a myth, at least as far as "saving" your hearing. Our doctor explained that. Yes, during moments of stress you will not "hear" the gunshots (a police sergeant in the group verified that, having been in three gunfights himself). However, this is a response of the brain. Your ears are physically still damaged by the sound and you will suffer permanent hearing loss. I agree that there may be times when you don't have the option of using hearing protection and then you have to hope for the best (on the street, etc.). But in your own home you have the option of being prepared. There is no excuse for suffering hearing loss in that situation.
Old July 20, 2002, 09:04 PM   #18
mikey357

Sam's answer succint...and correct....mikey357
Old July 25, 2018, 06:18 AM   #19
XeroDead

Lost the hearing in my right ear while in the Army. (yes small arms and explosions less than 5 pounds) last year the VA stated that they might be able to restore my hearing in that ear. I went into surgery in February, he found the small bone (hammer) at the bottom of my nasal cavity, replaced it and now I have acceptable hearing in both ears. (Anything is better than nothing) Anyway my point is I don’t want to loose what I have. I know what it’s like not to be able to hear and I wouldn’t ask anyone to go through that. Use hearing protection at home. If you ever have to pull the trigger, you’ll appreciate being able to hear the police officer’s questions when they arrive.
Old July 25, 2018, 07:11 AM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Xero...

You may notice that the thread you're replying to is about 16 years old.

In fact, NONE of the people who originally posted in the thread are active at TFL.

We encourage you to share your personal experiences, but in this case the best way to do so is by starting a new thread or posting in an already active thread.

I'm going to close this one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread