The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 15, 2020, 02:36 PM   #26
Hanshi

My old and much used 5" M27. A hard act to follow.

Old October 17, 2020, 02:43 PM   #27
rodfac

Hanshi...that is one FINE lookin' piece 'o hardware...and with the best of all bbl. length...Skeeter would be proud to shoot with you...can't find a pic of my 50th Anniversary 5-incher but it's a regular on my gunbelt...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 18, 2020, 01:58 AM   #28
Mr.RevolverGuy

Very Nice Fellas keep them coming.
Old October 18, 2020, 08:49 PM   #29
Super Sneaky Steve

Beautiful guns but I wouldn't want to carry those bricks. Modern MIM guns are actually better built, but don't have the same class.
Old October 18, 2020, 11:17 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

the old S&Ws shoot better than I do, and will still be running when I am not.

How is anything new, built differently, "better"??
Old October 19, 2020, 02:13 AM   #31
zoo

This thread reminded me, I can recall every revolver I ever carried as a uniformed patrol officer. First a S&W 6” model 10, then a S&W 4” Highway Patrolman (model 28), then a Ruger 4” Security Six, 4” Dan Wesson, 4” Colt Trooper, and finally the best of the group a S&W 4” model 586!

Oh yeah, but for the model 10 they were all .357.
Old October 19, 2020, 02:36 PM   #32
Oliver Sudden

The best I ever shot is a S&W registered magnum. Smooth, accurate and made like a fine watch, and that’s a 83 year old revolver!
Old October 19, 2020, 06:21 PM   #33
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
the old S&Ws shoot better than I do, and will still be running when I am not.

How is anything new, built differently, "better"??
Here's a Smith and Wesson Armorer. I've heard the same from many old gun smiths. The new ones are made much better.

https://youtu.be/4h9l2ipiKf4
Old October 19, 2020, 08:54 PM   #34
FireForged

I want to argue but I just cant
Old October 21, 2020, 02:51 PM   #35
jglsprings

Quote:
I want to argue but I just cant
Yep, that's about it...

Commas save lives...
Old October 21, 2020, 08:18 PM   #36
zoo

Well, obviously the S&W 586 is the best factory made revolver ever made. One would have to be a complete fool not to know that. 686 I guess if you have to have stainless.
Old October 22, 2020, 05:01 AM   #37
CDR_Glock

Best has to be defined for purpose.

Competition? Workmanship? Shoot-ability? Concealed carry? Target shooting? Hunting? Capacity against a semiautomatic?

Also depends upon who is using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 23, 2020, 01:02 AM   #38
zoo

I was kidding, CDR Glock. The answer is going by to be rather subjective.
Old October 23, 2020, 08:31 AM   #39
OldCranky1

I have a friend who used to own a funeral home, he's retired now. Back in the early 1990's he had an old lady in her 80's come in to make arrangements on her husbands funeral who had passed away the night before. She told my friend up front before they started I don't have any insurance or money to pay for this, but would you consider a trade and he said what do you have to trade that I could use in the funeral home. She reached into her huge pocket book and took out a box in almost pristine condition that had S&W on the box cover, handed it to him and said this.

He opened it up and found all the original paperwork and receipt from a long since out of business hardware store in the community and in the box along with a S&W Registered Magnum and the serial number was if I remember right the 4th or 5th one made, it was among the first 10. It hadn't been fired and no turn marks on the cylinder. I just can't remember the barrel length. He said to her let me make a few calls and I will be back and see what we can do. He said he called S&W and they wanted to buy it from him when he described the revolver and then told him the value and he said thank you. He went to the little old lady and said lets go pick out a casket and vault, a trade will work if this is what you want to do. She was content and he was happy.
Old October 23, 2020, 03:44 PM   #40
rock185

I've owned a few Colts, but many more S&Ws to include S&W 27s,28s,57s, 29s, etc. I've enjoyed them all, but the "best" revolver I've ever owned from just solid, precise quality of build perspective is a Freedom arms. If other revolvers are more closely and precisely fitted, I don't know where or how that extra precision would manifest itself....
Old October 25, 2020, 06:06 AM   #41
darkgael

Post WWII “Best ever made”.....I dunno about that. Have you shot every revolver made after WWII? If you have not, you have no real basis for the judgement.
Old October 27, 2020, 10:41 PM   #42
Porsche911

Quote:
Post WWII “Best ever made”.....I dunno about that. Have you shot every revolver made after WWII? If you have not, you have no real basis for the judgement.
I said Post-War S&W .357. This is the short-trigger revolver.

I have owned and fired all of them.
Old October 30, 2020, 06:33 AM   #43
PzGren

To be able to judge what the best revolver may be, one should have experience with all revolvers. While I have not handled all models, or revolvers from all manufacturers even, I can throw a few contenders in.

It might be of interest, that the last revolver pictured, is a Korth made in 1969 that I bought used about 12 years ago and have shot almost weekly. Apparently, the finish is more durable than on my 1952 K-22.

Last edited by PzGren; October 30, 2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old October 30, 2020, 05:28 PM   #44
rclark

Quote:
To be able to judge what the best revolver may be, one should have experience with all revolvers.
Well, it would still be just another opinion. If I had one revolver just like that person's 'best', mine might shoot horribly or the factory assembler was having a bad day and I'd call it junk.... No, best is in the hand of the beholder. A best for me is a revolver that looks right, shoots accurately, trigger job is right, and feels good in the hand.... and there is only one 'class' of revolvers that even starts to meet that criteria for 'me'. For someone else it might the revolver that stopped a charging bear... Best he ever had and glad he had it.... Then of course is the 'best' at what intended job! That is a whole nother topic which people have argued since the creation of guns in general! I suppose that is why we are all shooting different revolvers too.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 31, 2020, 06:32 AM   #45
PzGren

Quote:
rclark wrote:
Well, it would still be just another opinion. If I had one revolver just like that person's 'best', mine might shoot horribly or the factory assembler was having a bad day and I'd call it junk.... No, best is in the hand of the beholder. A best for me is a revolver that looks right, shoots accurately, trigger job is right, and feels good in the hand.... and there is only one 'class' of revolvers that even starts to meet that criteria for 'me'. For someone else it might the revolver that stopped a charging bear... Best he ever had and glad he had it.... Then of course is the 'best' at what intended job! That is a whole nother topic which people have argued since the creation of guns in general! I suppose that is why we are all shooting different revolvers too.
If the English language is applied accurately, then the best is surpassing all others in excellence. You only gave the definition of what is constituting a good revolver for you. Yet, to establish what's the best - surpassing all others, you will need to know about the others and not write from a standpoint of limited experience what is the best in all categories, when it is only the best that you own or have shot - or, as it is so common these days have read about in another gun forum.
Old November 27, 2020, 12:19 AM   #46
bac1023

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wouldn’t call those the best of anything. I much prefer the pre war Magnums from S&W. However, the finest double action 357 revolvers were not built in this country, as far as I’m concerned.
Old November 27, 2020, 11:36 AM   #47
skywag

I have the best.................what are you other guys talking about!!??
Old November 28, 2020, 11:02 PM   #48
BourbonCowboy

I've shot quite a few revolvers, and a number of them were .357 magnums. Now I only own one .357 - a Colt Python. It's by far the finest revolver I've ever shot. I don't know if it's the best ever made, but it's definitely in the conversation.
Old November 28, 2020, 11:11 PM   #49
The Happy kaboomer

Opinions are like exhaust pipes.......We all got one.
Old December 1, 2020, 01:03 PM   #50
Sanch

I have no clue. However, I've had a few gunsmiths, one of international fame, tell me that the S&W Model 27-2 was the best revolver ever manufactured to include the Colt Python. All of the smiths were primarily 1911-A1 aficionados. None were Colt 1911-A1 aficionados. They did a lucrative business making Colt 1911-A1s work reliably. They all built their own versions of 1911-A1s.

BTW, I do not think that any of the aforementioned smiths had considered Korth revolvers.

I have no dog in this fight. In fact, I see revolvers becoming close to but not completely obsolete.

Last time I was in a gun store the handgun display ratio was approx 8:1 semis to revolvers.