The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2020, 10:59 AM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Jetinterior guy.

Small particles of iron are a fuel, ready to oxidize. When that oxidizing is slow, we call it rust. When it is fast, it is burning and releasing energy quickly, so it takes the form of a spark. If a puncturing or other force gets concentrated enough on an iron-containing material, tiny particles of it can be torn off the surface with enough momentary energy reach iron's ignition temperature in air. You see a lot of that going on if you apply a grinding wheel to iron or steel, where the friction from tearing the iron particles from its surface is high. But you can get small, individual sparks from tearing steel apart by other means, including puncturing it with a can opener. It is less common because the energy concentration is lower than what you apply when grinding. Nonetheless, they will randomly occur. Every once in a while someone blows themselves up screwing the caps onto pipe bombs because of the rubbing of the iron parts in the screwing motion. So, low probability or not, it isn't worth the risk over the cost of a can of powder to take the chance.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 13, 2020, 11:21 AM   #27
ghbucky

Unclenick,

I didn't realize how much something like this is playing Russian Roulette until you broke it down that way. Makes it very clear.
Old October 13, 2020, 12:47 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

To add to what Uncle Nick said, "crushing" (or cutting slowly) is also a bad idea. Pressure = HEAT

And heat is not something you want when black powder is on the other side of the metal.

also, just FYI, ifn y'all put some vasoline or teflon tape on them threads, it cuts the risk of sparks.....

Here's something to consider, has the can ever been opened before? (to the best of your knowledge?)

If yes, then all bets are off. but if not, then there will be a seal (metal in the old days, paper now) underneath the cap. SO, if the seal is in place the risk of sparks from unscrewing a stubborn cap getting to the powder is very low.

Also, the seal would keep (or probably keep) penetrating oil from reaching the powder, and (if intact) would keep water out. That's its purpose.

If it were me, I would invert the can (so gravity works for you) and put some penetrating oil in the joint between the cap and the neck and let it sit for a few days, then using a strap wrench, unscrew the cap.

HOWEVER, that's my risk to take, you need to decide for your self, and no can of powder is worth ANY injury.

Good Luck.
Old October 13, 2020, 06:08 PM   #29
Scorch

A pound of powder is cheap, stiches are expensive.
Old October 15, 2020, 03:18 AM   #30
Metal god

I’ve only read the first 10 or so posts but I have to tell you I can’t stop cracking up . This crap seems so dangerous we’re now talking about burying it in the ground turning the lid with a strap wrench and a rope while laying prone I don’t know a mile away LOL . Why the hell would anybody use this stuff if it’s so darn dangerous to just open the can OMG haha .

Thank you all for this thread I now know 100% I want nothing to do with black powder ever .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 15, 2020, 04:46 AM   #31
Brit

Looking back as much as I can remember (85 YOA on the 27th of October) I can remember lots of really not bright actions! This one, disposal being my inclination!
Calling the fire service for advise, would be my advise, then take that advise.
Old October 15, 2020, 07:19 AM   #32
cptjack

Wondering if you can't get the cap off ,how do you know it is in good condition
Old October 15, 2020, 01:00 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Why the hell would anybody use this stuff if it’s so darn dangerous to just open the can OMG haha .
It's not dangerous to open the can, under normal conditions. That's not what the OP has. He has a can that is at least 35yrs old that he cannot open by hand.

That means something is drastically out of the ordinary, and THAT's when black powder gets squirrelly dangerous, ... POSSIBLY...

So, we advise to err on the side of caution, because we simply can't KNOW with certainty what is or isn't safe.
Old October 15, 2020, 03:13 PM   #34
Metal god

I say put it in the ground like uncle Nick says and shoot it with your 22 from about 50 yards away . That sounds a lot more fun than trying to open the can and salvage it . Just kidding , kinda ;-) . Lets say the can opens how ever the method , then what ? Is it good to go or are there 10 more things that can kill you with a well placed sneeze:-0

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 16, 2020, 11:00 AM   #35
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Jetinterior guy.

Small particles of iron are a fuel, ready to oxidize. When that oxidizing is slow, we call it rust. When it is fast, it is burning and releasing energy quickly, so it takes the form of a spark. If a puncturing or other force gets concentrated enough on an iron-containing material, tiny particles of it can be torn off the surface with enough momentary energy reach iron's ignition temperature in air. You see a lot of that going on if you apply a grinding wheel to iron or steel, where the friction from tearing the iron particles from its surface is high. But you can get small, individual sparks from tearing steel apart by other means, including puncturing it with a can opener. It is less common because the energy concentration is lower than what you apply when grinding. Nonetheless, they will randomly occur. Every once in a while someone blows themselves up screwing the caps onto pipe bombs because of the rubbing of the iron parts in the screwing motion. So, low probability or not, it isn't worth the risk over the cost of a can of powder to take the chance.
Thanks UN, I know what your saying and have always understood the oxidation part from my college chem classes, I just wouldn’t have imagined even something as innocuous as using a can opener could also induce a spark.
Old October 16, 2020, 05:06 PM   #36
9MMand223only

had this issue before. I know how to get it off without an issue.
place can in vice or whatever apparatus to where it cant twist, place a strap wrench on lid..
like this...https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-...APWR/300117125

OR large pliers, grips of any kind...the leverage will open it, or the lid will simply shear off.
Old October 17, 2020, 03:29 PM   #37
Unclenick
Staff

If the contents has corroded through the lid plating, the spark potential is still there, so you want the vice plopped down in pit in the middle of a field somewhere and to pull on the strap wrench with a rope.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2020, 06:00 PM   #38
Metal god

Quote:
If the contents has corroded through the lid plating, the spark potential is still there, so you want the vice plopped down in pit in the middle of a field somewhere and to pull on the strap wrench with a rope.
I get chuckle every time I read that . As serious as all this is I can’t help but to have that nervous laughter every time I read these posts . I mean no disrespect and I don’t know why but this thread is cracking me up .

Old October 17, 2020, 06:47 PM   #39
Pahoo

Okay !!!

ChasHam
Can I see your channel-locks, for a minute? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2020, 11:20 PM   #40
pwc

Well, it's been 8 days....what did you do? Poop or get off the pot.
Old October 18, 2020, 01:27 AM   #41
noylj

$25 can of 30 year-old black powder? I would just ask the fire department to dispose of it and BUY a new can. I like my house and all my limbs, thank you very much.
Old October 18, 2020, 06:58 AM   #42
cecILL

I've always used channel locks to snug the lids on all my cans of powders.
Old October 18, 2020, 07:31 AM   #43
Geezerbiker

I still think shooting the can from 100 yards away is the best choice. That way at least there could be some entertainment value from it...

Tony
Old October 20, 2020, 08:50 PM   #44
ChasHam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwc View Post
See Post 18...
Old October 20, 2020, 09:07 PM   #45
Metal god

Quote:
There's a reason you haven't heard

........................................................BOOM !!

Old December 15, 2020, 06:29 PM   #46
ChasHam

RESOLVED

OP here: Just by way of closure…

I took the can of GOEX to a gun shop a few towns over that specializes in muzzle loaders and asked the owner for advice. He said he could in fact open it safely— though didn’t mention how.

I told him I was just going to spread the contents in my garden but that if he had a use for it, he was welcome to it. I said I’m sure the boys in the shop could load/shoot it….or maybe one of his customers who’d been laid off from his job would appreciate a little Christmas gift.

He said one of his regular customers immediately comes to mind…so I left feeling pretty good about the whole process!

Last edited by ChasHam; December 15, 2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old December 15, 2020, 08:00 PM   #47
hounddawg

alls well that ends well
Old December 16, 2020, 02:23 PM   #48
Mal H
Staff

That's an excellent ending to the saga, ChasHam.
Old December 16, 2020, 03:33 PM   #49
RC20

There are non sparking tools for that application.