The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 8, 2020, 06:29 PM   #1
Mike38

Taurus Model 83

How long was the Taurus Model 83 produced? Is it something rare or special or was it a flop? I can't seem to find much on this model on the internet, little of it is mentioned on gun forums such as this one. I can find lots of info on the model 82, but little on the 83. I bought one about two years ago at a auction for $190 and I really like it. I'm not much of a revolver guy, but this one I like. Very accurate, works flawlessly. I can't imagine it was a flop, but maybe it was.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:32 AM   #2
hemiram

I had an 83n (N was for nickel) for my first and by far worst gun. Looked great, the nickel was well done, but it came out of time and spit badly. Along with the timing issue the barrel was messed up and would lead up to the point of having to have it pounded out of the barrel after only a few shots. Off to Taurus it went, twice. First time they fixed the timing problem, but they denied anything was wrong with the barrel, both times. Off it went to some guy who didn't care about it's problems. Replaced by the first of the many Dan Wesson 15-2's I've owned.

As far as the difference between an 82 and an 83, I thought it was just the sights or maybe the grip or trigger. I've seen 82's with the same grip mine had, and others with a thinner grip like an S&W Magna. Other than some minor thing, I don't think there is any real difference between the 82 and 83. I saw an 82 in a gun store in Columbus, Oh years ago and it looked exactly like my 83, and that one shot fine. You won't find much on the 83, as I don't think it was around for long and I don't think too many were made compared to the 82.
Old October 10, 2020, 05:41 PM   #3
artoo

Taurus 83: Discontinued 1998. Manufacture start 1993.
Weighs 34.5 ounces. Was a good seller. Not +P rated. It does have a small following now and many are still going strong.
Old October 10, 2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Mike38

Quote:
Not +P rated.
Thank you, that's good to know. I emailed Taurus asking them that very question. Not surprisingly, I didn't get a reply. The serial number look up on the Taurus web site shows that the serial number is unknown.
Old October 10, 2020, 11:58 PM   #5
artoo

Much older Tauri don't work out so well with the serial number look up. A decade ago that was not the case but is now.

Older Tauri are unknown by Taurus USA for the last few years as they have changed to "modernize" several times. They located their new manufacturing and headquarters recently.
Finding out history of any older Taurus (got a few myself) is either check out the Blue Book of Gun Values or check at the Taurus forum at Taurus Armed.net. Even that is no total guarantee.
Old October 17, 2020, 01:27 AM   #6
hemiram

Uh, I bought my 83 on my 21st birthday in 1977. I don't know where you came up with '93, unless it's when they maybe brought it back. Here is an ad from 1981:

My gun looked exactly like this, except it was nickel.

Last edited by hemiram; October 17, 2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old October 17, 2020, 11:12 PM   #7
artoo

Blue Book of gun Values had the dates. I'm sure the 83 has been around for a long time. Just that books seem to have little on the older Taurus models.
Old October 17, 2020, 11:14 PM   #8
artoo

Fine looking nickel gun you have there.
Old October 18, 2020, 05:03 AM   #9
hemiram

The gun books have a lot of mistakes in them, and the "values" are sometimes off to the point of being funny.