The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 30, 2020, 08:23 PM   #8201
bummer7
Member
 
Join Date: December 11, 2019
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 16
I really appreciate if you can tell me what year these two S&W revolvers were made. I have rough idea of a 5-year window period. However, I would like to narrow it down to a specific year.

1K279xx this is a K frame revolver

81807xx this is a N frame revolver

Thank you for your help in this matter.
-s
bummer7 is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 01:34 PM   #8202
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bummer7 View Post
I really appreciate if you can tell me what year these two S&W revolvers were made. I have rough idea of a 5-year window period. However, I would like to narrow it down to a specific year.

1K279xx this is a K frame revolver

81807xx this is a N frame revolver

Thank you for your help in this matter.
-s
1K279xx = 1970.
81807xx is not a valid serial number. Maybe the first “8” is a “S” or a “N”?
S1807xx would be 1958.
N1807xx would be 1973.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 03:40 PM   #8203
bummer7
Member
 
Join Date: December 11, 2019
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 16
Quote:
1K279xx = 1970.
81807xx is not a valid serial number. Maybe the first “8” is a “S” or a “N”?
S1807xx would be 1958.
N1807xx would be 1973.

Jim
Thank you!
-s
bummer7 is offline  
Old June 17, 2020, 03:32 PM   #8204
Stroker468
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 17, 2020
Posts: 12
Hello all. I just purchased a 686, SN AHU3XXX.

Can anyone advise it’s birthdate?

Any help is much appreciated.
Stroker468 is offline  
Old June 19, 2020, 07:35 PM   #8205
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker468 View Post
Hello all. I just purchased a 686, SN AHU3XXX.

Can anyone advise it’s birthdate?

Any help is much appreciated.
1986.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old June 19, 2020, 11:41 PM   #8206
Stroker468
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 17, 2020
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post
1986.

Jim
Thanks Jim!
__________________
Load in peace.
Stroker468 is offline  
Old June 27, 2020, 10:56 AM   #8207
ugagrad
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 27, 2020
Posts: 2
I have just inherited my great-grandfather's S&W model 2 double action in .38 S&W, nickel plated, MOP handles from my father who passed from COVID19 2 months ago. It has
serial number 298xxx. Not looking to sell, just curious about manufacture date? Thank you
https://app.photobucket.com/slidesho...c-56b1e8608b06
ugagrad is offline  
Old June 27, 2020, 11:27 AM   #8208
Jim Watson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 25, 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 16,552
It is a Third Model, made between 1884 and 1895. For a closer call you would have to get a letter from the S&W Historical Foundation.
Jim Watson is offline  
Old June 27, 2020, 01:49 PM   #8209
ugagrad
Junior Member
 
Join Date: June 27, 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks for your reply!
ugagrad is offline  
Old July 3, 2020, 08:58 PM   #8210
Ballardst
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2020
Posts: 2
Hi all. I'm looking to learn anything I can about a 3" Model 36-1 with the serial number J775952. Thanks!
Ballardst is offline  
Old July 4, 2020, 11:04 AM   #8211
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballardst View Post
Hi all. I'm looking to learn anything I can about a 3" Model 36-1 with the serial number J775952. Thanks!
Serial number dates it to 1981. The -1 on the model number means it has a 3” heavy barrel.
The model 36, also known as the .38 Chiefs Special, was made from 1950 to 1999.
The aluminum frame version is the model 37. The stainless steel version is the model 60.
S&W is again making them as the model 36 Classic.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old July 4, 2020, 11:31 AM   #8212
Ballardst
Junior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks Jim!
Ballardst is offline  
Old July 21, 2020, 07:40 PM   #8213
CleanDean
Member
 
Join Date: March 18, 2012
Location: W.Pa.◇VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
Posts: 54
If you are still helping by your research, would you please let me know the year ?
The revolver has been in our family for 38 years .
S&W. Mod. 58 / blued finish
4" bbl. Fixed sights
Serial# N 179080
__________________
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .
CleanDean is offline  
Old July 23, 2020, 04:25 PM   #8214
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanDean View Post
If you are still helping by your research, would you please let me know the year ?
The revolver has been in our family for 38 years .
S&W. Mod. 58 / blued finish
4" bbl. Fixed sights
Serial# N 179080
N179080 = 1973.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old July 24, 2020, 12:53 PM   #8215
CleanDean
Member
 
Join Date: March 18, 2012
Location: W.Pa.◇VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
Posts: 54
I appreciate your research. Much Thanks to you Jim.
__________________
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .
CleanDean is offline  
Old July 28, 2020, 11:15 PM   #8216
burrhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 1999
Location: Chihuahuan desert, Texas
Posts: 1,055
How about a 34-1, serial 1891XX and a 34 ND serial 390XX.

Thanks.
__________________
Join the NRA and the TSRA

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
burrhead is offline  
Old July 29, 2020, 09:51 PM   #8217
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
How about a 34-1, serial 1891XX and a 34 ND serial 390XX.

Thanks.
The book shows serial numbers for the 34 as 11000 in 1955 and 52673 in 1959. Since S&W began stamping model numbers in 1957 your 34 would likely be ~1958.

As far as the 34-1, it shows serial number 135464 in 1969 with the serial numbers transitioning to M prefix (starting with M1) that same year. Are you sure about the serial number being 1891xx?

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old July 29, 2020, 11:38 PM   #8218
burrhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 1999
Location: Chihuahuan desert, Texas
Posts: 1,055
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at the pic of a gun I just won on GB and I missed the lightly stamped M . The serial is M 1891xx. It's post '82, no pinned barrel.

Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
Join the NRA and the TSRA

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
burrhead is offline  
Old July 30, 2020, 06:49 PM   #8219
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrhead View Post
Thanks for the help. I'm looking at the pic of a gun I just won on GB and I missed the lightly stamped M . The serial is M 1891xx. It's post '82, no pinned barrel.

Sorry for the confusion.
No problem at all. With an unpinned barrel I would have guessed post 82 also but the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson shows serial numbers M160001 thru M193000 as 1981.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old July 30, 2020, 08:14 PM   #8220
burrhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 1999
Location: Chihuahuan desert, Texas
Posts: 1,055
That's a surprise. Thank you.
__________________
Join the NRA and the TSRA

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
burrhead is offline  
Old August 1, 2020, 10:39 PM   #8221
Jackhammer1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2020
Posts: 1
S&W 15-3

Guys I sure need some help here.
I inherited a 15-3 in show room condition but I'm not sure if it's a combat masterpiece or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is very short as verified by looking on the bottom of the frame butt.
The serial is 1K4XX.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Jackhammer1 is offline  
Old August 2, 2020, 01:07 PM   #8222
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer1 View Post
Guys I sure need some help here.
I inherited a 15-3 in show room condition but I'm not sure if it's a combat masterpiece or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is very short as verified by looking on the bottom of the frame butt.
The serial is 1K4XX.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Serial number dates it to 1970.
Model 15’s are Combat Masterpiece and model 14’s are Target Masterpiece. The difference being barrel lengths.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old August 4, 2020, 03:07 PM   #8223
TxM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 4, 2020
Posts: 1
Hi. My Father gave me a S&W Airweight 38 SPL CTG which I believe makes it a Model 37. I'd love to know when it was made if someone could help me. Serial #3J5xxx.
Thanks!
TxM is offline  
Old August 5, 2020, 08:26 PM   #8224
laytonj1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 1, 2005
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxM View Post
Hi. My Father gave me a S&W Airweight 38 SPL CTG which I believe makes it a Model 37. I'd love to know when it was made if someone could help me. Serial #3J5xxx.
Thanks!
Two possible dates, if pinned barrel then 1971. If no pinned barrel then 1983.
I don’t have a picture handy, so you can google S&W pinned barrel to see what I’m refering to.

Jim
laytonj1 is offline  
Old August 11, 2020, 03:07 PM   #8225
indie_rocker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 21, 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 189
Picked up a S&W model 36 (no dash). Pinned 3" barrel, factory nickel. SN: J201xxx.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
indie_rocker is offline  
Reply

Tags
s&w 686

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.09718 seconds with 9 queries