The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Diggin' The Glock 30 Gen 4

A month or so ago I found a used Glock 30 Gen 4 with night sights for $489 at the LGS and put it on lay-away. I got to put a few rounds through it today and I was shocked at how much better I shoot it than my Glock 9mms. I am heavy in 9mms and always have been because of the cost difference (not much difference these days though).
I also shot a Glock 45 9mm today for the first time and there was no comparison. I was more accurate with the 30 at a further distance than I was with the 45 with the target closer.
It may be time to rethink some things.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; October 8, 2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old October 9, 2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Whirlwind06

In my experience Glock 45 acp are crazy accurate. Both my 41 and 21 give me great groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 9, 2020, 10:43 AM   #3
jr24

It certainly depends on what you are using it for. I like the 30 (though the 21 is my favorite .45 ACP Glock) and you are correct it is quite accurate, though for a CCW I do not like how much slower it is and harder it is to keep on target when shooting fast.

I suspect, however, it's more of a grip/trigger thing for you, possibly the wider grip, since the .45 Glocks aren't more inherently accurate than a 9mm Glock. Or at least none of mine are.

The 30 is awful nice though, great gun.
Old October 9, 2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Sarge

I love everything about the G30 except the grip, which is all but too short for my hand(s). But if it works for you, why not? You can put 230 grains of lead on target twice as fast as someone shooting a 9mm.
Old October 9, 2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

Quote:
though for a CCW I do not like how much slower it is and harder it is to keep on target when shooting fast.
For some reason that didn't seem to be a problem for me.
Old October 9, 2020, 12:13 PM   #6
dyl

Quote:
I suspect, however, it's more of a grip/trigger thing for you, possibly the wider grip
Yeah, don't discount this. It's possible you have found what places your trigger finger in just the right place, promotes a steadier hold during a trigger press or gives you a secure enough grip that it stays put in rapid fire strings. Sometimes I find the unfamiliarity of a new gun forces me to concentrate on the fundamentals for a while.

Or maybe this.... were you using the same kind of ammo for your 9mm's? Winchester White Box or Wolf, something like that? I wonder if switching guns switched brands of ammo, especially if the usual fodder is unavailable during the pandemic. Premium self defense ammo is usually great in consistency if your gun likes it.

How big of a group size difference are we talking about here? Just curious. Last month I was getting frustrated testing out a P320 compact with reloads. Best I could do slow fire was 3 inches at 10 yards. A shooter also at the range let me use his reloads which use Bullseye powder (instead of my no-name Spanish shotgun powder) and groups shrank down to 1 inch and under. Made me happy, but now I'm trying to find time to make batch using Bullseye.

Anyways, congrats!