The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2020, 02:52 PM   #26
aarondhgraham

Maybe one of the old S&W single shot "revolvers" from 100 years ago.

Several years ago at the Wannenmacher gun show in Tulsa,,,
I got to handle one of those guns,,,
I liked it.

But if my retirement gun is a handgun,,,
I want a matched pair.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 31, 2020, 03:42 PM   #27
FITASC

SUPERIOR PAIR GEORGE III FLINTLOCK BRASS BARREL MILITIA OFFICER’S PISTOLS BY GEO. E. JONES OF LONDON CA. 1800-10.

Description:
SUPERIOR PAIR GEORGE III FLINTLOCK BRASS BARREL MILITIA OFFICER’S PISTOLS BY GEO. E. JONES OF LONDON CA. 1800-10. 15” overall with 9” brass smoothbore .65 cal. round barrels engraved “LONDON” at the top and bearing London Proofs at the left breech. Locks signed “GEO. E. JONES”. Finely engraved brass mounts with barrel breeches and tangs engraved as well. Beautiful acorn finial brass trigger guards. Walnut stocks and tipped ramrods. Superb condition with all the original lock parts and brass and metal in exceptional condition. Stocks with all the original finish. Perfect working order and excellent bores. Jones is listed as a London maker from 1790 to 1810.

Price: $4,500
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2020, 03:43 PM   #28
FITASC

John Manton, London --- Cased Pair, Flintlock Duelling Pistols --- .50 Calibre

Description:
10" full octagon, scratch-rifled, damascus-twist barrels with fixed sights, platinum touch holes, gold bands at breech and with MANTON - LONDON inlaid in flush gold letters on top flats. Checkered, round-grip, half-stocks with horn forend tips, ebony ramrods, iron furniture, and keyed barrel fasteners. Rope-border-engraved flintlock actions with half-cock sliding safeties, rain-proof pans, and roller-bearing frizzens. Triggerguards engraved with panoply of arms. Pineapple finials. Listed in Neal & Back, The Mantons. Built 1808. Somewhat used condition, but sound. Retaining 60% barrel brown. In original mahogany case with unengraved circular carrying handle, three-way flask, combination cleaning rod, and bullet mold numbered to the pistols. Interior re-lined, but displaying original trade label with 6 Dover Street address.

Price: $9995.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2020, 03:47 PM   #29
FITASC

If more modern is desired:

Turnbull Mfg. Commander Limited consecutively numbered pair.

Description:
Turnbull Mfg. Commander Limited .45 4 1/4" bbl. 2 of 50. Consecutively numbered pair. Unfired, unracked, unmarred. Still in cosmolene. Only ones for sale currently. Turnbull Manufacturings very limited run of custom 1911 Commander type pistols, designed for the Trop Gun Shop. The pistol is based on the 1920’s era appearance of the 1911 pistol, if there were a Commander size slide and frame in production at the time.

Price: $6350
Old August 31, 2020, 03:48 PM   #30
FITASC

Mods, sorry for the oversized; not too sure on this site how to resize, so please feel free to do so.
Old August 31, 2020, 05:37 PM   #31
hammie

Given what I think are your interests, you may want to consider a winchester 1885 low wall single shot. They're available as new production. My local dealer has them available in .22 WMR and .17 HMR for 1300 $. I've seen the .22 LR rifle version available at other dealers. They come with a gloss blued, 24 inch octagon barrel. I have a .22 hornet version, and it's a beautiful rifle.

Last edited by hammie; August 31, 2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old August 31, 2020, 06:47 PM   #32
Pahoo

Last time; TC-Contender Super-14, I promise

TC-Contender Super-14 with the engraved Cougar on the receiver. Then you can add any caliber barrel, you want. These guys are awesome shooters. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 1, 2020, 09:12 AM   #33
aarondhgraham

You are correct Hammie,,,

"Given what I think are your interests, you may want to consider a winchester 1885 low wall single shot."

You are correct Hammie,,,
That 1885 Low Wall is on my short list.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Aarond

Old September 1, 2020, 10:37 AM   #34
hammie

@aarondhgraham: It's been a several months since I've seen the .22LR version of the low wall. Given the better effectiveness of the magnum rimfires for hunting, I would be happier with one of the magnum rimfire versions anyway. A single shot is not exactly a plinking or "spray and pray" type rifle. A box of 50 rimfires will last quite a while, even at the range, and so the difference in ammunition costs between .22 LR and the others, may not have that much impact. With all this COVID hassle, I wouldn't wait too long to purchase something if is available now, before it is gone.

With the high gloss blue on the low wall, I put gloss rings, and a gloss Leupold scope on mine, which matched the rifle perfectly.

Enjoy your retirement. I'm sure you deserve it. The best thing about retirement is being able to set your daily agenda. People predicted boredom, but I quickly discovered that I had more things to do than I had time.

And, aarond, as we say in Texas, "You have a bless-ed day".

Last edited by hammie; September 1, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old September 1, 2020, 12:30 PM   #35
aarondhgraham

Hello Hammie,,,

"With the high gloss blue on the low wall, I put gloss rings, and a gloss Leupold scope on mine, which matched the rifle perfectly."

Is there any way you could post a picture of that set-up?

Aarond

Old September 1, 2020, 07:25 PM   #36
hammie

I always have trouble resizing my photo files below the allowable MB upload limit. I think I may have it. The scope is a Leupold3x9, 40 mm variable focus/parallax objective. The rings look a little tall, but I had to select high enough mounts to clear my fat finger on the hammer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1768.JPG (242.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by hammie; September 1, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old September 2, 2020, 08:56 AM   #37
aarondhgraham

Thanks Hammie,,,

That truly is a pretty rig,,,

Aarond

Old September 2, 2020, 11:36 AM   #38
aarondhgraham

So I had an idea and was stunned at the prices,,,

All this speculation about pretty single-shots is very enjoyable,,,
And I have gleaned three from this thread that I will look closely at.

But a post on another forum got me thinking in a different direction,,,
It was about the Springfield 1922 Trainer a member inherited.

I do have an affinity for .22 military trainers in general,,,
And I've always liked the looks of that Springfield,,,
So I surfed on over to Gunbroker.

Dang!
Those puppies have gone way up since I last looked.

They are bringing as much if not a bit more,,,
Than some of the new guns in this thread.

"So much for that idea!" sez I.

Now I must take Krystyna, My WZ-48 Polish Trainer, (click here please) to the range,,,
Reaffirm to that Polish beauty that I still love her dearly,,,
And apologize for thinking of another rifle.

Aarond

Old September 2, 2020, 11:53 AM   #39
aarondhgraham

Buds has a Winchester 1885 low wall in stock,,,

Buds has a Winchester 1885 low wall in stock,,,
It's only $1,241.00 which is affordable.

Okay, that rifle is definitely on my short list.

Aarond

Old September 2, 2020, 04:34 PM   #40
aarondhgraham

I've found two more that look very nice,,,

I've found two more that look very nice,,,
So the list has grown to three.

Just on looks alone the Sharps Little Betsy wins out,,,
But the allure of that Winchester is tugging at my heartstrings.

Thanks for your suggestions my friends,,,
Though the final decision is far from being made.

Aarond

Last edited by aarondhgraham; September 3, 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old September 27, 2020, 11:43 PM   #41
Ignition Override

VZ-58 Sporter (Czechpoint). Bought in 2019, two years after retirement (age 62). 1,300 rds. total, perfect operation. A piece of each tiny ammo cardboard box is kept in a labeled plastic bag.
Rob Ski also liked his VZ-58 on "AKOU", Youtube, and he tested 5,000 rds.

It now--after five hours' work--'creatively' adapting the military buttstock due to the odd, too-short' commercial stock Screw (came with the civilian rifle), has the reddish "Beaver Barf".

Beware that furniture sets quite often have No stock screw, ferule, nor buttplates (dimensions can vary somewhat, even between military and comm. versions).

The barrels are produced by Lothar in Germany, and the muzzle is threaded for perfect fit of the Slovakian muzzle brake.

Last edited by Ignition Override; September 27, 2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 28, 2020, 05:00 AM   #42
Brit

For many years I shot International pistol in Toronto Canada. I have forgotten the make of pistol combination I owned it was Italian (I will be 85 YOA next month!) things go missing in the brain box!
22 Short/22LR/32 Long Revolver cartridge, 5 shot magazines. The charge was 90g swaged soft lead projectile, sent downrange with 1.5g of 700X Dupont powder. Our range was 20 yards long, with electric carriers.
I fired a couple of possibles with that .32. Ten rounds into about 1"? You had forever to fire those ten rounds.
The club I belonged to was called Heart house Revolver Club? We had a turkey shoot every Christmas. One Christmas the Mother in Law was visiting from the UK. And was panicking when my Wife was not buying a turkey. They were fast disappearing from the Supermarkets. "Mike wins one every year" At the Gun Club.
The competition was timed fire, 5 rounds .22LR fired in 20 seconds.
The target for years had been a sheet of paper, with 5 stamped turkeys on it.
The Secretary of the Club did not like me! So this year he proposed a new twist, turn the target backwards! So it would be a true random shoot. You pinned your own target to the carrier. My target had 4 out of 5 hits! Frank almost lost it. "How could you hit 4 out of five, with the target backwards!"
"I aimed 2" up, and 2" in from the right, that was the turkey I aimed at"
The old Lady was so pleased with the Huge Butter Ball Bird I brought home.
Old September 28, 2020, 10:53 AM   #43
FITASC

Brit, was it a Pardini by chance?
Old October 6, 2020, 05:11 PM   #44
Henneman

If you like single shot rimfires you could look at Taylor's/Uberti copy of the Remington #4 Rolling Block. I have one in 357/38 that I bought about 6 months ago. I know they have made this in .17 HMR and .22 too. I think .22 magnum too. I added a H-Viz front sight as my eyes are not getting any younger.