The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2020, 09:02 PM   #26
Geezerbiker

I haven't used any in my .223 yet but I've had good luck with Nosler Partition bullets in other calibers. I bought a box awhile back to load up for the .223 but I haven't been motivated since I have so many other good options in my safe...

Anyone here have any direct experience with the Partition bullets in the .223?

BTW, here in crazy Oregon, any .22 center fire round is legal for deer. I know our blacktail deer are small but one could legally hunt them with a .22 Hornet.

Tony
Old October 15, 2020, 08:35 AM   #27
Tallest

Logs,

I would go with the fusion loads over the others mentioned. I love both the V-Max and the Federal soft points for groundhogs and coyotes. That same blue box runs flawlessly out of 18" Faxon barrel AR build, and my Ruger Predator is a laser with 50 and 55 grain V-Max. But I think it'd be a gamble to get a body shot on deer with them, especially at such close ranges. I know that when I shoot ground hogs at 200 yards with the v-max, it blows into almost nothing if it hits the spine or the skull. Deer bones will be tougher, and I think even a rib would leave you with a shallow crater, let alone a shoulder. I will admit they'd be devastating on the vitals if she can thread the needle, but it's not an "if" I would personally entertain. Just my two cents... YMMV. Best of luck!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan

Last edited by Tallest; October 16, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old October 16, 2020, 06:10 PM   #28
kymasabe

What twist is your rifle. I hunt with an AR with 1:7 twist and it's far more accurate with heavier rounds, so its been extremely effective with 75 grain BTHP's. I don't know what manufacturer, I buy remanufactured ammo from ammobypistolpete and his 75 grain stuff has been flawless.
Old October 18, 2020, 06:07 PM   #29
bacardisteve

My son has killed several deer with the gold dot and with 75gr hornady bthp. They both did the job but with any 223 round placement is very important. Avoid having to place a round through the shoulder and wait for a clear double lung or heart shot. Also beware of varmint type rounds sure they may get the job done but I once helped someone track a deer for hundreds of yards after a vmax blew up on a rib from a 22-250. Deer had a nasty wound 8" in diameter and required a finishing shot once we caught up with it.