The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 6, 2018, 10:36 PM   #1
jugornot

Rock River Varmint

Just joined a new range. Frontline Defense in Warrenton, NC. I took my RRA varmint AR in 556. After getting an average velocity for my ammo, I went to the 200-500 line. Planned for 10 shots for each range. At 200 yards there is a steel plate. 10 shots looked like a small group, but the plate was well shot. At 300 yards another small group. At 400 the target had much cleaner paint. Fired another small group that I finished off with a couple of headshots. When I went for 500 yards I fired a 10 shot group that looked to be sub-moa. I decided to go for head shots with the last 10 shots. 10 head shots with no vertical dispersion. The horizontal spread was 4 to 5 inches.
The day was in the 40's with periods of rain sleet. The rain/sleet was falling at about a 45 degree angle. The wind was steady. First time using the Applied Ballistics app on my phone. Dials were pretty much spot on. I thought that this was pretty good for an AR, but it has been a sub-moa rifle from the beginning. Hopefully I will qualify for the 1000 yard range soon. It starts at 300 and I would like to take the AR to 700 or 800 yards and I have another AR in 308 for going further. Great facility. Still working out load for 308.
Old December 6, 2018, 10:44 PM   #2
TimW77

RRA

Its hard to beat the RRA rifles and for the money they can't be beat!!!

TW
Old December 7, 2018, 02:27 PM   #3
ms6852

I bought the RRA predator pursuit several years ago. Back than it had a 3/4" moa guarantee. Mine did .680 5 shot groups at 200 yards with factory Hornaday superformance 75 grain bullets. Does better now that I use 23.5 grains of RL15 powder with 75 grains BTHP bullets. This rifle is a laser.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:03 PM   #4
COSteve

My RRA A4 I got NIB back in March of 2006 has been a great shooter for now over 12 years. With thousands of rds through it, it's still sub-MOA with my 68grn handloads. With a 12x scope, I use it to shoot medium sized apples at 400+ yds.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:11 AM   #5
dgludwig

I also have a RRA (NM A4) that I bought back in 2008. Though my main reason for buying it was target competition; with a scope mounted, it has made for a very accurate varmint rifle. I love the NM 2-stage trigger!
Old December 19, 2018, 01:02 PM   #6
RC20

I had an RRA ATH 14 inch barrel

Well built rifle, quality excellent. 2 Stage Match a Great trigger, never got it to shoot better than 1.5 MOA very disappointed. Seems to be contradictory to the norm with them.

Contacted factory, sorry bub, you really don't have an ATH, with the shorter barrel is just starts with ATH and you have a Y and the accuracy guarantee does not apply. Hmm,

Also did not come with the Winter Trigger (desired not a have to) same thing, you did not order the exact thing (ponder on the upgraded bolt and two stage chrome trigger - does that change it to? - sheese)

Gas block was not fully tight and took me a bit to ID the issue and fix it (was not going to send it back for that)

Despite the issues I would recommend them to someone wanted a high quality AR. The chrome bolt group is very good and the chromed two state match trigger are really nice and very good.

An individual (X) had a S&W MP, that did shoot really good, they have gone lower grade on that model and its generic now.

Be aware, you have to shoot the exact same ammo they do to get the guarantee. I can see that and agree with it, just they should put it up front.

I forget if they had it 3 shots or 5 shots (target is 5 minimum and 10 is the gold standard) - be nice if all were up front with that sort of thing.

Last edited by RC20; December 19, 2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old December 28, 2018, 03:37 PM   #7
RC20

I got a reply back from RRA

Its 5 shot groups and with testing of various factory target /match ammo.

They did not say what they would do if you could not find one that shot less than they said.