The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 18, 2018, 02:28 PM   #26
Dufus

I agree that it is a dilemma when small kids are involved as they are naturally curious.

I will relay this: My sister's family was victim to a home invasion one weekday morning.

My neice left the house around 06:30 to go to UTSA where she was a student.

My nephew was also a student there but had later classes so he was still home with my sister and BIL. There was a knock on the door shortly after the neice left and the nephew thought she had forgotten something and came back.

He opened the door and a guy forced his way in and had a handgun at his head. Nephew asked "what's going" on and the guy said "where's the money?"

BIL came out the see what was going on, the guy repeated "where's the money?" He told him they had a safe in the bedroom closet. the bad guy did not want to go into the bedroom, got spooked, and ran off to a car waiting in the street.

All the while my sister was hiding in the closet.

At the time, all their guns were in the safe, out of reach.

Something terrible could have happened that morning and they had no defense.

After that, all the guns did not stay in the safe and don't to this day. They live in a rural area about 7 miles south of the nearest town.
Old November 18, 2018, 04:30 PM   #27
kmw1954

UPDATE to the story!

We just found out that the woman that was shot in that house was one of our daughters best friends from school, she has been to our house many times. She suffered 9 hits but was saved by her boy friend. The one that was killed. My daughter has been in touch with her friends mom. This has now gotten way too close.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:23 AM   #28
kmw1954

I see by the numbers that a few are still following this story and I thank you. Not really much to comment about but update from last night news report.
All 4 suspects were in court yesterday and being held on $1million. So far the investigation has revealed that this was an invasion robbery and the suspected admitted that they didn't even know the victim and only that they were told and lead to believe he had money and was an easy target.

Story goes on to say that 3 of them kicked in the door and they entered shooting. The victim was able to return fire and struck 2 of them. So my guess is he was carrying. So as many of you have suggested I do the same have me thinking I should rethink my position.

This has made the realize just how random this was and that it could happen to anyone at any time.

Lastly, still no update on our daughters friend.
Old November 20, 2018, 10:31 AM   #29
Ed4032

Always carry... even at home. Always.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:36 PM   #30
Reloadron

There are dozens of little desktop or nightstand handgun safes out there. Many with electronic lock systems or electronic fingerprint readers. Here are several examples and only to serve as examples. They can be had at any retail sporting good store or an online purchase. Just about any of them are suitable for keeping small and curious hands away from a gun. That being pretty much what they are designed for.

Ron
Old November 29, 2018, 06:52 PM   #31
kmw1954

Thanks Ron, I do have a thread going about safes here; https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=599085
Old November 29, 2018, 07:36 PM   #32
Reloadron

My bad and I left a post using your link.

Ron
Old December 2, 2018, 05:13 PM   #33
fl_rich

I have to add.. i havea 4 pound Chihuahua that barks loud upon the slightest oddity. UPS postal vehicles and other events and noises I may not hear. Having an alert little friend who alerts you to others approaching may give you the extra seconds required to assess and arm if needed. Having a dog doesn't always mean a Shepard, Doberman or other large menacing breed.
Old December 2, 2018, 07:04 PM   #34
Reloadron

"Having a dog doesn't always mean a Shepard, Doberman or other large menacing breed".

So shall we just assume any dog larger than a Chihuahua is a large menacing breed?

Charlotte resents your comment! Not all dogs larger than a Chihuahua are large menacing breeds and many serve just fine as watch dogs.

Ron
Old December 2, 2018, 08:54 PM   #35
kmw1954

Ron we have a big ol Husky that is so mean he keeps the squirrels out of the yard but that's about it. Anytime someone shows up at the gate he's expecting food to be delivered. All he thinks about is eating. He does bark and growl in his sleep though!

Last news release is that all four are being help on 5 felony counts and all as party to a crime.
Old December 3, 2018, 03:00 AM   #36
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Story goes on to say that 3 of them kicked in the door and they entered shooting. The victim was able to return fire and struck 2 of them. So my guess is he was carrying. So as many of you have suggested I do the same have me thinking I should rethink my position.
Well, as someone who advocated for that, I’m not saying you shouldn’t rethink. However, a better reinforced door doesn’t cost much and could have easily delayed entry long enough to retrieve a more effective firearm than a pistol.
Old December 3, 2018, 03:47 PM   #37
kmw1954

So what do you think your landlord would say if you approached him and told him you wanted a better door because you were in fear that someone would kick it in?
Get lost, go scratch, yeah right, all come to mind.
Old December 3, 2018, 06:17 PM   #38
Paul B.

"Here is how I feel. If I get to the point that I need to walk my house armed during the day then it is time to sell and move! So no I do not want to carry in my own home."

"This has made the realize just how random this was and that it could happen to anyone at any time."

That's the point some of us have been trying to make. I have an S&W M60 .38 Spl. that lives in my right side pants pocket. About the only time it comes out is when I change pants. There are two spare speed loaders in my left hand pants pocket. I can remember wen I first moved here in 1979, we could leave out doors unlocked at night in my neighborhood. Not any more. We have taken precautions suitable to our situation.
Paul B.
Old December 3, 2018, 06:41 PM   #39
kmw1954

I guess I have to state that I feel pretty secure in my surroundings. Though it is a rather large neighborhood we are also protected on one side by a large lake. This neighborhood has only 2 ways in or out with a couple streets feeding into dead ends which is were we are. Also being very near the lake the house is raised so that when outside the windows are all above eye level which limits access via window w/o some sort of assist.

So without being specifically targeted I feel pretty safe back here.
Old December 3, 2018, 08:51 PM   #40
Armed_Chicagoan

20 minutes away... in the 14 years I've lived at my current address there's been more than a dozen murders within 2 blocks of me. Quieting down noticeably the last 4-5 years though.
Old December 3, 2018, 09:58 PM   #41
FITASC

Quote:
So what do you think your landlord would say if you approached him and told him you wanted a better door because you were in fear that someone would kick it in?
Get lost, go scratch, yeah right, all come to mind.
There are various devices that can be used without permanent damage to apartment walls or doors
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 3, 2018, 11:01 PM   #42
Onward Allusion

The LCP, P32, or P3AT in ones back pocket is better than the Glock 22 in the upstairs SentrySafe.
Old December 4, 2018, 08:05 AM   #43
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
The LCP, P32, or P3AT in ones back pocket is better than the Glock 22 in the upstairs SentrySafe.
Quote:
Because of these events I have rearmed myself after many years of being unarmed and I have also taught the wife how to shoot. Not ready to carry but I will defend my home and family.

This also brings me to another point which I will post in another thread so I hope you will look for it and reply but I am in need of a quick access pistol safe to safely store a loaded pistol. I have on clue what to look for and the reviews are confusing at best.
I hear ya and you are concerned for you and your daughter's safety but, without trying to argue or make you angry, the safest thing to do is to carry inside your home. You'll know where the weapon is and it'll be 'protected'..and when you turn in, if you aren't comfy having a 'bedside' handgun, then a quick access safe, in your bedroom..BUT the idea is for the handgun to be where you are...and available for quick access..

I live in a very safe neighborhood, at the end of a dead end street but..I carry at home and have the safe w/i about 3 feet of where I sleep..

YMMV and all that.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 4, 2018, 08:12 AM   #44
Bartholomew Roberts

On doors, a simple way to better secure them is pull the short little screws used to secure the door plate with longer screws that reach the 2x4s. Also, a simple device like a door wedge will greatly enhance security and is portable and non-permanent (as well as landlord friendly).
Old December 5, 2018, 09:49 AM   #45
4V50 Gary
Staff

Layered defense.

1) Gate, if feasible (admittedly, without a fence it may be useless).
2) Landscape (clear line of sight to make approach by naughty people visible)
3) Early warning (motion sensor that triggers lights, cameras) and/or dog(s)
4) Secured doors & door jams, windows (protective film)
5) Communication (besides cell phones, land line) to contact 9/11
6) Firearms. Forget pepper spray/tasers. If they're inside the home and have avoided all of the above, they're not delivering for Swans/Avon/FTD/Amazon.
Old December 5, 2018, 03:13 PM   #46
luger fan

Here in Indy, as of today, we are at 138 murders and 339 wounded. 99% within the ghetto.
Old December 5, 2018, 04:22 PM   #47
Reloadron

luger fan:
Here in Indy, as of today, we are at 138 murders and 339 wounded. 99% within the ghetto.

Really not that bad at all.
Quote:
Indianapolis, often shortened to Indy, is the capital and most populous city of the U.S. state of Indiana and the seat of Marion County. As of 2017, Indianapolis is the third most populous city in the American Midwest and 16th most populous in the U.S., with an estimated population of 863,002. Wikipedia
Considering the population of 863,000 people. As of the end of September here in Cleveland we went over 100 homicides with a population of only 388,000 well under 50% of Indy's population. So it's that darn per capita thing. I figure we will well exceed 130 homicides for the year.

Interesting also is the majority occur in the "projects" areas like the near East Side and West Side. While the local newspaper media is quick to scream that 85% of the homicides are gun related they never point out the demographics.

Next week I will be hosting an ammo drive where members will be free to send me ammunition. Those participating will receive a Christmas Card signed by me.

Ron
Old December 6, 2018, 10:35 AM   #48
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Staying on point
Bio-metric gun safe. (Finger print opening.)
Having a home protection handgun locked in any other type of opening safe is dicey in the heat of the moment. (Especially so for the ladys.)
Amazon sells em.
Tip: Buy a safe that plugs into a outlet so to continuous charge its batteries. Having that feature she'll never be locked out.
Old December 7, 2018, 08:47 AM   #49
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo60+ View Post
i agree to this, anything can happen to anywhere that isn't secured and its time to secure our schools, some Kinda Metal detector at least.
It's time to change the law saying public schools are 'gun free'..like my grand daughter's elementary school. If not, I wish they would hire a 'resource officer'...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 7, 2018, 05:39 PM   #50
oldbadger

If you can't prevent then defend. One school system has determined that "arming" those in the school with hockey pucks to be thrown at the perp is the way to go. They have recognized that they can't prevent bad stuff...I am not sure that this is the best defense.
100% of home invasions occur in someone's home..usually without warning and evil has no timetable or geographic boundary.